Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,018 times in 718 posts

    News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    However “there is no target timeline”.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    As a once proud owner (for first few weeks until I faced brick wall with the lack of most basic functions) of Windows Mobile 7.5 I can see no future for Windows Phone 8. Android and iOS are just so much more advanced platforms. Why buy such a cumbersome product when you can have an arguably well developed ones ready? Also the gap between full Windows 8 (even RT) and Mobile is just.. if not Windows Modern UI there would be no resemblance at all. I am not even going into describing lack of Windows Mobile OS updates for older devices - even for the top of the range ones.

  3. #3
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,806
    Thanks
    288
    Thanked
    205 times in 143 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    I'd have loved an Android padphone - I Just wish Asus made them more available! I couldn't find one when I took my last contract so ended up with a note instead (and an asus tf300 tablet later on). Asus really need to work on doing deals with mobile operators first!
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    29 times in 24 posts

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    Lumia's once coveted Win7 range died for me the moment they announced the win7 handsets would not get upgraded to winphone 8 (including some that had not yet come out at the time). That killed any chance of serious 3rd party app development.
    Having poisoned the well somewhat with the Win7 handsets, the lack of 3rd party apps at launch for the Win8 handsets (late access to developer tools) took away a lot of the sweetness and did nothing to allay the fears of people like myself who liked the product but wanted to be sure the apps and support would be there. A nexus-style 'at cost' Win phone (and WinRT device too come to that) could have kick-started the market to encourage app development for these platforms, but instead, everything came out as premium (or at least more expensive than many had predicted/hoped), and the snowball has only just started rolling. As you say, the fact that they are competing against two established app ecosystems is already against them, and any action to boost this later may come as too little, too late.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London (almost)
    Posts
    1,080
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    34 times in 28 posts

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    Quote Originally Posted by Tpyo View Post
    Lumia's once coveted Win7 range died for me the moment they announced the win7 handsets would not get upgraded to winphone 8 (including some that had not yet come out at the time). That killed any chance of serious 3rd party app development.
    Having poisoned the well somewhat with the Win7 handsets, the lack of 3rd party apps at launch for the Win8 handsets (late access to developer tools) took away a lot of the sweetness and did nothing to allay the fears of people like myself who liked the product but wanted to be sure the apps and support would be there. A nexus-style 'at cost' Win phone (and WinRT device too come to that) could have kick-started the market to encourage app development for these platforms, but instead, everything came out as premium (or at least more expensive than many had predicted/hoped), and the snowball has only just started rolling. As you say, the fact that they are competing against two established app ecosystems is already against them, and any action to boost this later may come as too little, too late.
    Considering that more people have 7.5 phones (soon to be 7.8?) than 8 and that win 8 phones support win 7 apps, if I were an app developer I'd still target 7.5 over 8 for another year or two.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    I can't see a developer in his/her right mind (without any financial incentive) starting to develop for any Windows Phone platform. Unless just to practice. When you have Android and iOS with a vast user base it just doesn't make any sense to code for Windows.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    977
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    48 times in 39 posts
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    What issues did you have edvinasm?
    Currently using a W7.5 phone and love it, no way I'd move to android/iOS.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    779
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked
    50 times in 43 posts
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Crucial M4 + 1Tb Samsung F3 + 1Tb WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX570 Twin Frozer 2
      • PSU:
      • 700W Coolermaster Silent M Pro
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL & Dell 2312HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    Quote Originally Posted by edvinasm View Post
    As a once proud owner (for first few weeks until I faced brick wall with the lack of most basic functions) of Windows Mobile 7.5 I can see no future for Windows Phone 8. Android and iOS are just so much more advanced platforms. Why buy such a cumbersome product when you can have an arguably well developed ones ready? Also the gap between full Windows 8 (even RT) and Mobile is just.. if not Windows Modern UI there would be no resemblance at all. I am not even going into describing lack of Windows Mobile OS updates for older devices - even for the top of the range ones.
    I'm also curious as to what 'most basic functions' you couldn't use on a mobile OS which was widely well received upon release? Surely a lack of the most basic of functions would have been noticed in at least some of the reviews?

  9. #9
    Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    17,164
    Thanks
    803
    Thanked
    2,152 times in 1,408 posts

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    Quote Originally Posted by krazy_olie View Post
    Considering that more people have 7.5 phones (soon to be 7.8?) than 8 and that win 8 phones support win 7 apps, if I were an app developer I'd still target 7.5 over 8 for another year or two.
    Or both!

    8 is a bit more involved in testing, only as there are more screen resolution combos available. When writing in Silverlight such things really don't matter much, nor require signficant code changes.

    Thats why my little side project app works on Windows Phone 7.5, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.

    It is about 80% of the same code across all devices.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

  10. #10
    Comfortably Numb directhex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    /dev/urandom
    Posts
    17,074
    Thanks
    228
    Thanked
    1,027 times in 678 posts
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

    Re: News - ASUS discusses Windows 8 Padfone in interview

    Android causes stomach ulcers.

    Or maybe that's just me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •