Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: Does Windows Phone stand a chance?

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Re: Features - QOTW: Does Windows Phone stand a chance?

Got my lumia 920 a couple of weeks ago, and im loving it, best phone out right now

Registered+
    Thanks

It depends on Microsoft's tenacity. Of course there will be space for three OS:s in the market place. I believe sharing the kernel with the rest of MS's line up is a very shrewd move. It also depends on how MS plays out its strategy. Most of what we see in online mobile phone communities are focused on the pure consumer market. One of the areas were I perceive WP has an advantage is security. Perhaps that is why the military in my country have chosen WP as their platform. So perhaps MS can play their computer penetration to leverage buy in in the corporate arena.

That said, I find it ironic that MS emulated the iPhone to such a degree that they gave up their Windows Mobile community following to Android. They had the the computer hackers and the corporate segment and gave it all up. The were also pen based devices, which MS gave up to emulate Apple. What was the total WP penetration in 2012? Samsung sold 10 million S-pen Android based units alone. It could be that Microsoft isn't fleet footed and creative enough to compete. Too much of a "follow me" strategy, perhaps?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameronlite View Post
    I've tried to help kill the 'there are no apps' problem with my app, AppSwitch. It suggests replacement apps for ones you might already have on your iOS or Android phone:
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/st...1-949c2c86e2a5

It's more a win for Nokia than WP but here are some photos I just took on my Lumia 920 (5:30PM) - I'd like to see another phone compete with these
    The Nokia 808 Pureview could compete with this... If Nokia can get a WP8 based 41mp, zoom phone of the 808's caliber out the door, I'll get it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obscurity View Post
    I thought their share was decreasing?
    A lot of those figures were from MS's limbo state prior to WP8 being released (manufacturers were stopping the production of WP7 devices but hadn't released WP8 devices) so weren't keeping up with the increasing mobile phone pool. Some polls also include markets WP hadn't been released in.

WP won't get to be number one but it will be a significant player. The Western markets are entrenched, there's too many users stuck in the ecosystems to move so you'll likely see the same market shares next year unless Apple or Google have a huge fall from grace. The big market share gains are to be made in emerging markets and as that is categorised as cheap entry level phones which Apple have stated they will not be making then it gives MS a better position to capitalise on it.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    I don't want 500 billion apps. I just need the basics - good GPS / Navigation, Browser, MP3 Player, Cloud storage, Camera and probably 1 or 2 others things. I don't even need games, don't play them ....that's what a desktop PC is for!

If they can get these things right I might make the jump this summer, but I'm starting to get sucked into the Google eco system ....Gmail, Gdrive, Contacts....so we'll have to see, this rather than android or iOS apps library is what will sway me.
    Nokia Maps is great (used for a lot of satnavs) Browser is great, IE is usually hated on by everyone (including me) but it is super fast on here, Nokia Music is awesome, unlimited free music through playlists with no ads at all!! SkyDrive is integrated well into the system and can choose to sync photos videos etc, camera on the lumia 920 is amazing, its the second best available, behind the 41MP PureView 808 also by Nokia, but on symbian

Registered+
    Thanks

Got a Lumia 800 Windows 7 phone, loved it. Went back to Android for a while, hated it. Now on a Windows HTC 8X and love it. But I can't seem to sell the concept to friends, and this leads me to believe that Android and Apple will eventually defeat Windows phone.

Thanks
    • cameronlite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Twin Frozr AMD 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XILENCE 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li P50r AMD Limited Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Professional 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 243W 24", HP LA2405 24", Dell 2405 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - 30Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
    The Nokia 808 Pureview could compete with this... If Nokia can get a WP8 based 41mp, zoom phone of the 808's caliber out the door, I'll get it.
    Except the 808
    Currently studying: Electronic Engineering and Artificial Intelligence at the University of Southampton.

Thanks
    • tickedon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T Deluxe (V1)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6GB OCZ DDR3 (3x2GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1x 750 Samsung F1, 1x 250gb, 1x 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD ATI Radeon 6850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 650w Corsair TX650
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro (64bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" BenQ G2222HDL + 20" Samsung 205bw
      • Internet:
      • 24mb Be Unlimited ADSL2

Love my Nokia Lumia 800, and have done since I got it. Every app I need is now there - it took a while for The Times/Sunday Times newspapers to catch up, but they finally did!

I've been seeing more and more people with it, more and more people talking about it, and more and more people asking me about it. I think Windows Phone is going to show some good gains in 2013 - of course it's not going to shoot up, people are too invested in their existing platforms, but I think we can see a big shift.

I had an iPhone, then switched briefly to a Blackberry, and then got my Nokia. It beats both - and while I've never owned an Android device, having used them in store and been asked to help my brother setup his, my goodness that UI is confusing. I really think at the low end, where parents and the slightly older generation are looking for a cheap smartphone, they'll find Windows Phone far easier to get around than Android.

Roll on my Lumia 920, just waiting for Three or Vodafone (basically anyone but EE...) to launch it!

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

I'm very pleased with my HTC Trophy 7, not even considered a high end phone by any means, but it's great.
    My brother is changing from Android to Windows for his next phone, I certainly hope it just gets better and better

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

I was a fan of the old windows os from the orange spv onwards. Have an iphone for work and did own a sony xperia s for a while but after 6 months, had to sell it and went back to windows with a HTC 8X. Dont think I will be trying android again.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Love my Nexus 4 and I am a tinkerer when it comes to phones so Android suites me greatly, I was in a shop with a mate helping him pick up a tablet but while I was there I had a brief go on a WP8 (I believe it was the lumia 920,dont quote me!) I really liked it, really smooth and lovely on the eyes and I certainly hope I can get some of that moved over to my N4 .

If I wanted to keep my phone stock then I am certain a Windows Phone would be for me .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I think a lot depends on the native text input, I don't like this on my iPhone and like it less on my Galaxy S2, so I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to try this out. Also app support needs to improve too.

Thanks

Tough market, but hopefully MS will stick to it for at least a couple of years to give the app market the chance to grow (and get more hardware partners). They managed to break into the console market, no small feat, so if they can't break into this market, we'll probably be stuck with a two horse race.. if that.

No one needs "500 billion apps", but some people may highly value a couple of niche apps that is particularly well developed on a particular platform. Though quantity does not guarantee quality, I'd say that the odds are increased.

Hardware wise, the 920 is lacking two features I'd ideally like: removable battery and micro SD slot. [Either that, or they fit a battery double what is usually found, and fit it with huge memory capacity]. The recent trend is not favourable though, I only hope that Samsung won't drop those from the future Galaxy.

Thanks

Rather than a binary choice making you choose this or that (though you can of course choose to have neither) multiple choice is the much better for the consumer and the industry as it drives progress and innovation better. For this reason alone Windows phone and Blackberry need to survive.
    Microsoft are a software company trying to get into hardware whereas Apple are a hardware company who happen to have some decent software so both come from a different base.
    Convergance would seem to be the answer with seamless integration of one software package on all devices ... phone, tablet, desktop, laptop. For Apple that could hit sales being a hardware manufacturer with premium priced products for Microsoft and Google convergance/integration is less of a hit hardware wise. If Microsoft could say get to Windows 10 and its absorbed Windows phone and Android/Chrome merge then they could both be onto a winner.
    There is also clear indication that not everyone is drawn to 'The Cloud' so hardware with expandability (micro sd, usb, etc) could prove vital for whoever (if) decides to keep it.
    I like the look of Windows phone devices, a splash of colour amongst the ever increasing bland looking aluminium.

Thanks

It works, sure. But it is all a bit mee-too. I was deeply suspicious after the appalling performance and lack of updates from phone 6 and 6.5, and the adoptors of phone 7 were kicked firmly in the goolies by phone 8.

To overcome those sort of commercial behaviours it does not need to be merely 'just as good as' what people already have, it needs to do something entirely new that no-one else has.

Thanks

I must admit, with my limited exposure to it I'm very Meeeehhhhhh. But then again I think iOS is limiting and poop so what do I know
    Last edited by 3dcandy; 19-01-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: meh!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information