Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Features - QOTW: Are you happy in your current job?

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

Re: Features - QOTW: Are you happy in your current job?

Currently a student looking for a job for my placement next year.
    Loving being a student (although right now with many many deadlines it's at its worst probably)

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by fail_quail View Post
    Actually really hard to reply to this topic without descending into an epic rant... But here goes:

Am i happy? - 100% no

I've allready had what was close to my dream job twice now: Love IT Helpdesk work to bits.

But i've been less than lucky holding a job though:

First job got sabotaged by Barclaycard buying out the UK arm of Providian Bank i was working for. To cut a long story short i was the lowest paid person in the building (below the cleaners) then they tried to blackmail me into working extra hours to get the pay rise they'd withheld for over a year. Left in disgust.

Eventually got a new IT job with the local council. A year later tories get elected, i'm the newest hire so got made redundant first.

I'm hopeless with interviews so i'm epically outclassed for getting an IT job again, add in the fact the UK is flooded with unemployed better at interviews than me i'm screwed...

Am now stuck in a soul-destroyingly dull warehouse job and frankly have just given up...

*sigh* pretty ranty still :/
    fail_quail, the way I deal with interviews is just to be yourself. Its like a date. Nothing to be nervous about. If you like Helpdesk job, why not try your hand in Moves ?

Thanks

I love my job, but I work for Honda and they are about to make 1300 associates redundant. One of them might be me!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Rebo00's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX780 x 2 SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850i
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced NVIDIA Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64

I work in Desktop Support at a college in Greater Manchester. Poor financing meant they were £5million in debt for a building they thought they had paid for but hadn't...
    This means that we're running 6 Gen 1 HP Servers with DDR1 RAM lol(they're on something like Gen 18 now) and our Networking gear is around 18years old!!!
    Other than having to cope with that - the hours are good, we get 2 weeks off at Christmas but not other school holidays, I pretty much have the access to do whatever I want as the IT Manager was a librarian and knows nothing about IT.
    They also have no structure when it comes to Procedures, they rarely send out Service Alerts and think its ok to make changes to the core infrastructure mid-day...
    Coming from a Corporate background I'm used to things being done properly so I'm changing them slowly but surely .
    To sum it up, I work with a couple of good people, the pay is ok and I'm always busy - 80% satisfied!

5. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Personally, very happy in my job/career. But then most people who do what I do (General Insurance Actuary) are very happy with it!

One of the biggest factors is the (relative) job security - it's one of those very rare fields of employment where supply rarely exceeds demand. Other important factors for me are work/life balance, whether you like the people you work with and (of course!) pay - all of which are generally pretty good in my area of work.

The downside is that most people would find the actual work involved in being an Actuary either incomprehensible or incedibly dull. Not me though of course
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Short answer: yes
    Long answer:
    I worked for a company that outsourced, then that oursourcer got bought by one of the large tech companies.
    Downsides of the current employer is that they still think that firing people is a great way to boost profits, and they don't seem to understand why this hits morale. So every couple of months, the guys with the barrow (bring out your dead!) come around looking for bodies to turf out of the door.
    Upsides are that the current slot I'm in has a bl**dy great team, and because the company's a big one you get to various mailing lists with a lot of "mover's and shaker's" in tech. Strange amount of glee to be had when you see a big open source project (for example) and realise that most of the leaders work for the same company that you do.
    And then there's all the incidental benefits - discounts especially. Today I bought a full copy of Office 2013 Pro (with DVD!) for <£18.

Sure there's probably more suitable jobs out there, and definitely better paying (contract) work, but I'm content.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

OilSheikh

Anyone else ?
    Last edited by OilSheikh; 29-01-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information