Thread: News - GameStick portable HDMI games console project nears completion

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - GameStick portable HDMI games console project nears completion

Final redesign agreed and only 2.5 more days Kickstarter time left.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

Re: News - GameStick portable HDMI games console project nears completion

Too many of these things now to gain any real traction with developers I think. So many different specs and power in them. Segregation of the market isn't going to help it gain mass appeal.

3. Received thanks from:

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    Too many of these things now to gain any real traction with developers I think. So many different specs and power in them. Segregation of the market isn't going to help it gain mass appeal.
    Agreed! Too many varieties of the same thing and all will fail!

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

I don't think the situation is any worse than already exists for your typical Android Developer, or PC developer for that matter.

What would be nice to see is for screen manufacturers to offer compatible portabable displays with their own power-packs to work with the planned devices. Without the need to include a touchscreen component, hopefully they can be offered as a sensible price

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
    How is it different to phones, they're pretty fragmented and lots of people gaming on Android phones with lots of games anyway. All these things are is an Android platform built into a controller and using your TV for the display, you don't need to develop for them specifically, any game that works on Android ARM should work.

Personally I see these type of devices as a solution looking for a problem, surely the better route to Android-on-a-big-screen is actually using your phone, MHL/Miracast etc and a wireless controller, then you could take the same game on the move rather more easily. Long-term I doubt handheld consoles have a future, they'll join MP3 and video players on the "redundant now my phone/tablet/converged-device does it" list. I'd not be surprised if the Vita is Sony's last one but perhaps Nintendo will do another one or two as they have more presence in markets of people who don't have smartphones like little kids and old folk. As a Vita owner it is good but it's no more powerful or better screen than my Nexus 4, cost the same money and has less features except for the all critical controller buttons. Downloadable apps to phones and a controller with extended battery you slip the phone into seems better - it could become a standard phone accessory for gamers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Long-term I doubt handheld consoles have a future, they'll join MP3 and video players on the "redundant now my phone/tablet/converged-device does it" list.
    Perhaps, but I hope not. For one, I find that there is a lack of truly epic iOS/Android games. If the Nexus 4 is as good hardware wise as the Vita, then by association, it is better than the DS. But I find the best DS games far more fun than any smartphones games I've tried so far. Secondly, I think that control will remain an issue. Just because you can theoretically have controllers for tablets, it doesn't mean that it will be common, and we will fall into the chicken and egg problem of developers not bothering to make games that make use of it because there is not enough hardware, yet people don't buy the hardware because there is a lack of support. Kinda like mouse and keyboards on consoles. They exist (AFAIK), but I don't know anyone who play FPS with such on a console.. actually, I am not even sure if it's supported, even though the hardware is there. Perhaps if one of those devices succeed, it will open to that possibility.

Thread Information