• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Re: News - Nokia to release a 41-megapixel Pureview Lumia this summer

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Hmm, *I* would trade thickness for more battery capacity, but *maybe* not for a larger sensor. It kind of depends how much thickness having *both* adds (if I end up using the camera more because it is good, I'll need the battery life to go with it). At the end of the day, I need the phone to fit into my pocket together with an iPod Touch (unless it's an iPhone), so that's another couple of millimetre. That, and I am quite comfortable carrying my DSLR. But for those who can't be bothered, I can entirely see the appeal of this phone. That said, I wonder about the ergonomic: no matter how big the sensor, you will still need a fairly steady hold to get good result in low light, and ergonomics does help. I've seen an increasing number of people using their tablet as a camera. I wonder how steady they can hold.
    I bought the Nokia 808 PureView because of this: http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com...tery-door.html

More than twice the capacity of the original and from a company that has enough good feedback for me to have been comfortable ordering from them. The cover included removes the camera sensor bulge by extending the rear to match the camera sensor thickness so actually looks better than the original design to me. I expect it to be delivered next week so I'll know how well it fits, feels and works then.

So far the 1400mAh battery has lasted 1 week of general use; haven't used the web browser but have browsed the store, taken about 10 pictures testing different settings, made 80 minutes worth of calls and spent an unusual amount of time checking all the settings and getting used to the layout of the phone. Battery life seems decent even without the double capacity Mugen Power battery. Nokia has a decent music player on the phone and has 14.6Gb of free space for storage of whatever you like so I am finally retiring my Cowon D2 MP3 player that still has more than 40hours battery life playing music. I like my devices to have long battery life.

Thanks

Ah, I did not know that the PureView series came with removable batteries (given that they decided not to with the Lumia). Being able to fit a double capacity battery is a dealmaker for me. As long as they do not change that with the new phone and it still not get too thick with it, then I'll look into the series when I get a new phone.. in two years time (provided they are still around). I am using a 4400Mah battery with my S3, and it still has some space spare after inserting the iPod Touch in the same pocket.

Having devices last a long time is nice to have, but rarely crucial *most* of the time for me. But it's those instances where I hike in the mountains/countryside that the double capacity and/or removable batteries is handy. I've also grown fond of My Tracks but using GPS 10 hours at a time can be a drain.

Next thing on my wishlist I suppose is some weather proofing (which I expect would add a bit of weight if not bulk too).

Registered+
    Thanks

Is there any point to have 41 megapixels

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by harryj1995 View Post
    Is there any point to have 41 megapixels
    Yes.

As has been said further up the thread. The camera doesn't just dump those 41 megapixels into a file and give you that. The PureView software does some heavy processing on it to give you an effective 8MP image (or there about) of much higher quality than the equivalent 8MP image from a regular small sensor. Read up on it, there is some great technology in there by Nokia.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Clearly you've not seen any reviews of the Nokia 808. The general reaction from professional photographers and reviewers was amazement. This is not a gimmick product...
    I am sure everyone will start selling their FF and APS-C cameras to get this instead. Better than other phones, sure thing but I dont believe in miracles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information