Thread: News - Nintendo exec defends “poor” Wii U CPU

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Nintendo exec defends “poor” Wii U CPU

Will it have enough muscle to compete with the big boys this summer?
    Read more.

Ravens Nest

Re: News - Nintendo exec defends “poor” Wii U CPU

I never thought it would happen but no one i know is interested in the Wii U, not one. perhaps things might change when the big games appear like Mario kart, Zelda and Mario party but until then no interest. My Son (who is 11) loved playing Super mario galaxy 1&2 and Mario kart WII but when i told him about the new Console he did not want to know. The launch titles dont seem that interesting and some of the Ports over to it have been a little slower than the PS3-Xbox versions and for a newer Console the games can not be ran at 1080p either.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Iain162's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 (H90)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Samsung Green @ 2133-C10
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830 + 2x 750GB WD Scorpio Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX670 FTW @ 1267/7008 (Accelero Hybrid)
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold S (ST75F-GS)
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Prodigy M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer H226HQL (21.5" IPS)

Lets face it, the Wii U is what the original Wii should of always been, no one can deny that the original Wii was disappointing after the novalty of its radical control system wore off.

Sadly Nintendo seem to have lost what little share they had in the home console market, they should either stick to handhelds or move back to a design slightly more in line with what most of us would call "traditional" and kick this sub standard performance trend they have going with their systems, they seem to be focusing on what they can do with a much smaller form factor rather than trying to actually keep up with the likes of sony and microsoft.

This is quite sad since im a fan of Nintendo's and i'd like to support them if i had a choice but the Wii never appealed to me, ive tried it and it got old fast, i still love my DS though and im guessing the reason for this is because its closer to a traditional nature without being over the top about it, a touch screen i can deal with but i cant say waving your arms around like an idiot is the best way for most people to relax in their own homes.

Because of this the Wii was always more of a party machine since most the time playing the Wii is spent laughing at the person atempting to play it..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Iain162 View Post
    Lets face it, the Wii U is what the original Wii should of always been, no one can deny that the original Wii was disappointing after the novalty of its radical control system wore off.

Sadly Nintendo seem to have lost what little share they had in the home console market, they should either stick to handhelds or move back to a design slightly more in line with what most of us would call "traditional" and kick this sub standard performance trend they have going with their systems, they seem to be focusing on what they can do with a much smaller form factor rather than trying to actually keep up with the likes of sony and microsoft.

This is quite sad since im a fan of Nintendo's and i'd like to support them if i had a choice but the Wii never appealed to me, ive tried it and it got old fast, i still love my DS though and im guessing the reason for this is because its closer to a traditional nature without being over the top about it, a touch screen i can deal with but i cant say waving your arms around like an idiot is the best way for most people to relax in their own homes.

Because of this the Wii was always more of a party machine since most the time playing the Wii is spent laughing at the person atempting to play it..
    From Wikipedia

Wii sales - 99.38 million
    Xbox 360 - 75.9 million
    PS3 70.2 million (all figures are correct as of 31st dec 2012)

If the Wii has outsold the Xbox 360 by ~ 25 million units despite being 'disappointing', do you agree that there is a small chance that the Wii U will keep a large market share, despite having many problems?

Just out of interest why should Nintendo try and compete with Microsoft and Sony? It seems like avoiding those two has worked out pretty well so far.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Iain162's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 (H90)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Samsung Green @ 2133-C10
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830 + 2x 750GB WD Scorpio Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX670 FTW @ 1267/7008 (Accelero Hybrid)
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold S (ST75F-GS)
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Prodigy M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer H226HQL (21.5" IPS)

All that is because of the control system since at the time it was very different and never before seen on a mainstream console it had loads of people talking about it, of course word of mouth will sell a console if you can give the public enough reason to talk about it and generate interest, the Wii U is a perfect example of how the public see the original concept, its old news people would rather buy the cheaper Wii second hand since theres plenty of them around and theres nothing special about the new Wii U to make them think its worth the upgrade lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zerox View Post
    Just out of interest why should Nintendo try and compete with Microsoft and Sony? It seems like avoiding those two has worked out pretty well so far.
    If by avoiding them you mean creating a new control standard yes that did work for them in the past but no one cares anymore, it'll take more than a refresh on an old idea to make the public want to buy into something like the Wii U, no amount of mario rehashes will change that.

This is where Sony and Microsoft are different, they have stuck to traditional designs and created an aftermarket style of control system in response to the Wii's original launch this means people can opt into the idea if they wish, this makes it easier for developers to impliment games as they see fit and its now working in their favor..
    Last edited by Iain162; 05-02-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks

45nm process for the cpu, i'm surprised that they managed to find someone who fab'd chips that big!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • DLUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Scan 3XS Bundle, Asus P67 Rev 1 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4.9 Ghz 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB DDR3 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Revo 2 x 2 240 GB, Crucial M4 Win 7 Boot drive 256 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 680 2GB Msi
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress 2 Special Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64 HP
      • Monitor(s):
      • 400HZ 47" LED 3D, 120 HZ 24" LCD Acer Nvidia 3D
      • Internet:
      • 120MB Fibre Optic Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by keithwalton View Post
    45nm process for the cpu, i'm surprised that they managed to find someone who fab'd chips that big!
    Simple fact is the PC outsold the consoles in last 7 years and the smart phone and tablets outsold all the consoles and PC's in last 3 years. While there are going to be plenty of fun games on the phones-tablets the big AAA $50-100 FPS-RPG etc games will look and play better on PC and PS4 and Next box so the Wii U is in no mans land!

When an 'average' smartphone has a better GPU and CPU within 12-24 months than the Wii U. People who may have made killer titles for Wii U will be making those games for mobiles devices first. Nintendo should focus more on games less on hardware.

3XS i7 2600k 4.9 Ghz, P67, FT02 SE, MSi GTX 680, 4GB DDR3, OCZ Revo 2 x2 PCIE SSD 240 GB, G930 7.1.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

4th gen? Please. We're going into the 8th generation here. The clock didn't restart when the Playstation shipped!

9. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (05-02-2013)

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

I guess Nintendo didn't want to scare all of the 3rd party publishers away straight away, but launching a new Nintendo console without key Nintendo games (a proper Mario game, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid or something of that ilk) was bloody stupid. At the end of the day people buy Nintendo because of the quality of their games, and the exclusive nature of those games, not for ports or 3rd party titles.

Registered+
    Thanks

Speaking as a complete n00b I'd say the CPU/GPU combo unit on this product is half as powerful as it needs to be - the simple fix would be to beef up the cooling and power circuits and overclock that SoB, giving the devs what they need to carry on supporting the product.

Having said that, I'd never thought of the Wii or it's replacement Wii-U to be a monster gaming rig - the original Wii for my family was/is a casual gamers rig, a family console - we've had more fun at parties on a wii than any other console - so easy for people of any age to pick up and have a go.

The Wii-U, needs to decide on it's identity and start selling it's advantages to it's target markets - there's simply not enough buzz/advertising right now and I think it would be a real shame if this fails because of that identity crysis.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by maverik-sg1 View Post
    Speaking as a complete n00b I'd say the CPU/GPU combo unit on this product is half as powerful as it needs to be - the simple fix would be to beef up the cooling and power circuits and overclock that SoB, giving the devs what they need to carry on supporting the product.

Having said that, I'd never thought of the Wii or it's replacement Wii-U to be a monster gaming rig - the original Wii for my family was/is a casual gamers rig, a family console - we've had more fun at parties on a wii than any other console - so easy for people of any age to pick up and have a go.

The Wii-U, needs to decide on it's identity and start selling it's advantages to it's target markets - there's simply not enough buzz/advertising right now and I think it would be a real shame if this fails because of that identity crysis.
    I even think the name Wii U and the adverting are too similiar to the Wii, when i have mentioned the Wii U to people at work no one even knew there was a new console out and thought the adverts were for Wii.

Also i agree that it does seem to be half as powerful as it should have been.

The Wii was an amazing success, all i can think of is if they do a price drop for the Deluxe (32gb) model to £199 with a AAA title like Mario kart bundled with it and drop the Basic (8gb) or drop that to £149 with a game and really advertise it different to the original Wii but keep mentioning about the ability to keep using your old games on it and controllers on it.

Do that all over the Xmas period it could do well, but i only think they have a year window to succeed before the PS4 and Xbox 720 finally arrive (Maybe less than that).

Also allow people to use there tablets and smart phones on it instead of there controller that might be an attractive idea.

Thread Information