• BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: News - HP declares aim to be a leader in tablets and smartphones

There is pretty much zero chance of HP becoming a leader in tablets or smartphones - even as an Android box shifter.

Samsung have the android market pretty much sewn up, and Apple are kings overall..even if they could oust Samsung in the android world (can't see that happening) they would need an unprecedented effort in order to jump past Apple. Android may be outselling Apple at the moment but that's the platform as a whole - not an individual supplier.

The best chance they had was with WebOS, which was a lovely OS with a great backend+UI..such a shame that it has effectively died

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung are really gunning for Apple, in fact, depending on how you measure it they are winning.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20137...iphone-4s.html

The 5 sold well, but not as well as people had thought, just look at Apple's stock price now compared to pre-5 launch times.

A lot of people held off from the 5 because of maps fiasco and the fact it simply didn't offer them any real progress.

If you include all price points of Andriod phones, sold globally, samsung is comfortably outselling Apple in phones.

However in tablets they haven't made a significant dent. In fact if Apple don't have anything innovative out next year, I think we might see their share price fall massively again. If they loose their buzz in the media, they could loose a lot of sales. Plenty of people I know who own iPhones don't know how to use them at all, a friends mum who has a 4s can't even work maps. Why did she buy that one? Because it had all the adverts telling her (she is a professional level earner) that it was the one to buy, has enough status etc.

The point is that Nokia are really pushing the lower-middle end. The 520 will be an interesting one to see, I bet nokia are counting on it being a volume seller with such low margins.

Can firefox os squeeze in here too? Personally I doubt it, but then what do I know, I thought the £1,800 iPhone 1 was going to be a flop, because it was just sooooo bad, at everything.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Samsung are really gunning for Apple, in fact, depending on how you measure it they are winning.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20137...iphone-4s.html

The 5 sold well, but not as well as people had thought, just look at Apple's stock price now compared to pre-5 launch times.
    Very true - it's down to how you measure it..this is the fun of statistics

That link for example compares the latest/current gen Samsung galaxy with the previous generation iPhone, over a period where sales would naturally slow due to the imminent launch of the iPhone 5.
    So of course you would expect sales to drop off significantly in that time period.

I am actually wrong in terms of overall mobile device sales - Samsung do have a clear lead here over Apple - BUT that is not purely their Android sales, it includes Bada, Windows 8 RT and any other mobile platforms that they have their fingers in. I've not been able to find an unbiased report showing clear Samsung android vs Apple iOS mobile device sales.

Either way - whoever is "king" at the moment - it's pretty clear that HP have a near impossible task ahead of them if they are going to try and take 1st place.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Either way - whoever is "king" at the moment - it's pretty clear that HP have a near impossible task ahead of them if they are going to try and take 1st place.
    Hmm, small point - in "HP speak" the word "leader" doesn't necessarily mean "biggest slice of the market". It can also mean that the leader is the company doing the 'innovative' stuff that everyone else wants to ape.

And as we all know, being technically superior doesn't necessarily mean commercially superior. Remember Betamax?

That said, if the "technically superior leader" also leads to commercial success then I'm sure HP shareholders won't mind.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Interestingly, I see LG have bought WebOS, apparently for TV use.

http://techland.time.com/2013/02/25/...-another-home/
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Interestingly, I see LG have bought WebOS, apparently for TV use.

http://techland.time.com/2013/02/25/...-another-home/
    I thought it was going open

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I am actually wrong in terms of overall mobile device sales - Samsung do have a clear lead here over Apple - BUT that is not purely their Android sales, it includes Bada, Windows 8 RT and any other mobile platforms that they have their fingers in. I've not been able to find an unbiased report showing clear Samsung android vs Apple iOS mobile device sales.
    But why does that matter?

All that matters is Samsung is selling more in that sector, the question as well of margins is one I think would be interesting. The SIII, good as it is, is hardly a device which has extreme costs of consutruction.

In fact Samsung appear to be doing a good job of preserving margin across everything.

So by compete with apple do you mean in the luxury end? Well with phones this is something I've never understood. Maybe its between iPhone mania and now I found my self earning a lot more, but I just don't see why its "cool" to have such a phone, then again I drive a citroen eco diesil so I'm probably not the target market, if I want people to know I've got disposable income, without just saying it, I find a pilots license will get you in a girls nickers faster than an expensive phone.

This leads me to suggest that when people try to create a scenario where Apple is ahead of Samsung, they carve out a specific market, normally try to dress it up, but its high margin in my mind. I think that you only need to see Hexus's review of the 620, someone who is a tech journo has opted for the £150 phone.

Once again we get to why I'm not long Apple, I don't see the market for their high end phones, in fact when looking at US operator sales figures, whilst there is a bulge of the latest phone sales, there are still an awful lot of the cheaper one. Most people can't afford a £500 phone every two years. Most people recognise that a phone will not live for 5 years. Most people are going to go for a lower priced device. As the gap between the lower priced phones and the higher ones in functionality deminishes, only mugs will be going for the higher end, unless there is a really big difference in screen, camera, battery life, etc.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information