Thread: News - Yahoo to cut seven products including BlackBerry app

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Yahoo to cut seven products including BlackBerry app

Marissa Mayer cuts underperforming services in a spring cleaning.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - Yahoo to cut seven products including BlackBerry app

Hmm, can't remember the last time I went to Yahoo for anything. In fact, if I've visited the sites in the last year it'll have been because some other link sent me there.
    The San Francisco Chronicle reports that CEO Mayer checked through Yahoo VPNlogs to see if remote employees were often checking in during their time out of the office, “Mayer discovered they were not — and her decision was made.” Since that announcement there has been quite a debate about whether teleworking is still the future of office work.
    Oh great, these idiots decide to slack off and potentially screw it up for the rest of us! Then again, I'm one of those folks who teleworks because there's no office locally I can use - so if a teleworking ban comes into force then I'm out of a job entirely.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I still use Yahoo mail as I still like being able to sort my mail the old fashioned way (folders, not label). Only at home though, because of the lack of full session HTTPS (log in only).

Here in Japan, Yahoo Auction is probably better than Ebay for local goods.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Oh great, these idiots decide to slack off and potentially screw it up for the rest of us! Then again, I'm one of those folks who teleworks because there's no office locally I can use - so if a teleworking ban comes into force then I'm out of a job entirely.
    There are some people who don't abuse it. However most do in my experience, and I ran work-from-home VPNs for companies for a long time. Generally it is middle managers who are 'working from home to complete a report' are the worst urine-takers.

Combine that with the massively increased support costs for people who think it is IT's problem that they have a cheap nasty consumer grade ADSL line and they can't get any work done over it.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    There are some people who don't abuse it. However most do in my experience, and I ran work-from-home VPNs for companies for a long time. Generally it is middle managers who are 'working from home to complete a report' are the worst urine-takers.
    You're right in that it's managers that can make or break teleworking - if someone's slacking off then it's their manager to blame. Just because someone's at home doesn't mean that you can't keep a track on them (and no, I don't mean spyware etc).

Richard Branson's not impressed either, see http://www.virgin.com/richard-branso...-where-to-work:
    If you provide the right technology to keep in touch, maintain regular communication and get the right balance between remote and office working, people will be motivated to work responsibly, quickly and with high quality. Working life isn't 9-5 any more. The world is connected. Companies that do not embrace this are missing a trick

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

If you read the complete story about the teleworking I think you'll see that the biggest issue is that the majority of people had been taking the p**s for a considerable time and it was this culture that Marissa was targeting not the whole teleworking culture. All she did was simply check the VPN logs to see that people were out and about supposedly teleworking but didn't actually VPN in at all during certain days. If you get a sloppy culture like that over several years and you are a paid CEO in a big company and tasked with turning it around surely you'd be mad not to tackle it at source. If that means getting people into the office then so be it. Wasabi hit the nail on the head, most people I know manage very little from home and need to be managed very carefully
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    If you get a sloppy culture like that over several years and you are a paid CEO in a big company and tasked with turning it around surely you'd be mad not to tackle it at source. If that means getting people into the office then so be it. Wasabi hit the nail on the head, most people I know manage very little from home and need to be managed very carefully
    Agreed - the problem isn't necessary the people per se, it's the culture (as Branson points out). The way that the media have sold this (and I'll acknowledge that perhaps Ms Mayer is being misquoted), MM was saying that teleworker=lazy-git, which isn't necessarily true.

The fact that other companies can get teleworking delivering productive workers kind of speaks to a lot of work being needed @Yahoo to get folks motivated. Conversely, when I was office based I remember seeing folks who seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time browsing the internet or playing Patience.

And before I get the finger pointed at me - I'm currently on a (very boring) teleconference so I'm multitasking.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Ya who?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thread Information