Thread: News - Google Android Chief Andy Rubin steps down

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google Android Chief Andy Rubin steps down

Chrome guy Sundar Pichai gets to be head of the world’s most popular mobile OS.
    Read more.

Hello :)
    Thanks
    • ionicle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N SLi Premium
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon 64 4200+ 939
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Samsung DDR400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 80Gb Samsung SATA-2, 1x Hitachi 500GB SATA-2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon HD3650
      • PSU:
      • Akasa 400W Paxpower
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirrage 62
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows Vista
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai 22" 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • Pipex 8mbps unlimited up/down 19.99 a month

Re: News - Google Android Chief Andy Rubin steps down

must have gotten bored of being sued for copying

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by ionicle View Post
    must have gotten bored of being sued for copying by Apple
    There, fixed that for you. Then again, I don't remember Andy Rubin being sued - Apple seemed to prefer to go after the "small fry". Attacking the branches rather than the trunk. Then again, most seemed to think that this was because Google either had a lot of patents from the Motorola deal and/or a big warchest to fritter away to lawyers.

Putting the pointless fanboy wars aside, ( ), I'm wondering if this means that we'll see less focus from Google on Android. Or do they think that it's well enough established that they can afford to "pull their foot off the gas" so to speak. More of a worry is that the loss of AR perhaps means also the loss of a strong advocate to stop Samsung from using their dominant position to screw Android up for everyone else.

It's maybe time that Google passed the reigns of Android control to some kind of broad based "foundation".
    This evening in New York we will see the wraps taken off Samsung’s latest Galaxy S smartphone. The Samsung Galaxy S4 is purported to be one of the fastest smartphones ever made with new and innovative modes of user interaction.
    This should be an exciting announcement, but to be honest I'm not that bothered - definitely no where near the level of interest that the S3 generated, and the press seem to be the same.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Hello :)
    Thanks
    • ionicle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N SLi Premium
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon 64 4200+ 939
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Samsung DDR400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 80Gb Samsung SATA-2, 1x Hitachi 500GB SATA-2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon HD3650
      • PSU:
      • Akasa 400W Paxpower
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirrage 62
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows Vista
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hyundai 22" 1680x1050
      • Internet:
      • Pipex 8mbps unlimited up/down 19.99 a month

they need to pass the reigns of android to someone who knows more keyboard commands than CMD C, CMD V, (or CTRL C, CTRL V for users of windows), because if android became something special it might be worth considering...it needs a UI overhaul to look completely different, they need to police the store a bit better/more efficiently, charge 3'rd parties for copies of android and the dev kit (not massive amounts, pence at most) and maybe impose some rules on what third parties can do, not massive limits, just a list of do's and dont's as an outline to keep the experience vaguely similar across devices...
    once thats done they might actually have a decent phone OS that is appealing to the higher end segment (currently dominated by iPhones).
    Atm if i didnt have an iPhone, i would get an iPhone, but if that wasnt in my budget i would get a windows phone...why? ...well, several reasons, but i think windows phones look vastly nicer ...nokia's lumia's are really nice looking phones, and after a bit of hands on time, i like the way windows phones work...
    ive had a go on android...didnt like it, a friend let me have a look at their HTC ...seemed ridiculously slow compared to an iPhone, had a go on a SGS3, that was...awful, i have small hands and that thing was just...massive, if i want massive i buy an ipad mini, ...it didnt even fit in my jeans pockets...
    im going to stop ranting now but needless to say im sure my opinion is quite clear...
    to sum up, google need to get someone in with some brains and a proven track record in software design, not this dope who looks so smug ...

Thanks

charge 3'rd parties for copies of android and the dev kit (not massive amounts, pence at most) and maybe impose some rules on what third parties can do, not massive limits, just a list of do's and dont's as an outline to keep the experience vaguely similar across devices...
    You do realise that the open nature of Android is one of the biggest reasons it's grown so fast?
    Letting devs do what they want and giving away a free SDK is by far the smartest move they did. Besides, how do you propose they charge for an SDK of an open source OS? Someone would just make a free version anyway.

to sum up, google need to get someone in with some brains and a proven track record in software design, not this dope who looks so smug ...
    In September last year, Google announced over 500 million Android activations. He has every reason to be as smug
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

they need to pass the reigns of android to someone who knows more keyboard commands than CMD C, CMD V, (or CTRL C, CTRL V for users of windows), because if android became something special it might be worth considering...it needs a UI overhaul to look completely different,
    Completely different to WHAT FFS? As others have REPEATEDLY said here, there are ways of doing certain tasks that are best, and choosing something else merely gives a worse user experience. And you're also speaking from plain ignorance or bias - unless you're going to claim that TouchWiz is identical to Sense, which is identical to Sony UXP, which is identical to stock Android, etc. If that was the case for even a microsecond - which it isn't - then others would not be complaining about "UI fragmentation".
    Oh, and your beloved iOS isn't above stealing ideas/concepts from other people. I've no problem with this, the "we stand on the shoulders of giants" idea, but what sticks in my craw is that Apple writ-fling when folks do that to them, but are quite happy to "leverage" themselves. It's widely accepted - for example - that iOS's current notifications concept was "borrowed" from Android.
    they need to police the store a bit better/more efficiently,
    Granted. If I'm going to slap Andy Rubin for anything in particular, then this is probably #1 on my list. Like most things Android it IS improving, but I'll say it's got a bit to go.
    charge 3'rd parties for copies of android and the dev kit (not massive amounts, pence at most) and maybe impose some rules on what third parties can do, not massive limits, just a list of do's and dont's as an outline to keep the experience vaguely similar across devices...
    Charge for the SDK? Please do yourself a favour and look up the concept of "open source". As for do's and don'ts - these exist - see http://developer.android.com/design/index.html. Good developers/manufacturers have these guidelines, but are free to ignore them if they feel this would be best. At the end of the day, us users will praise (if the chosen app/phone UI is better) or blame (if it's worse) - commercial darwinism.
    once thats done they might actually have a decent phone OS that is appealing to the higher end segment (currently dominated by iPhones).
    All of that quote is debatable, and we're firmly into the realm of "lies, damned lies and statistics", so I'm not going to go further (in the interests of brevity)
    Atm if i didnt have an iPhone, i would get an iPhone, but if that wasnt in my budget i would get a windows phone...why? ...well, several reasons, but i think windows phones look vastly nicer ...nokia's lumia's are really nice looking phones, and after a bit of hands on time, i like the way windows phones work...
    Ah ha - the second point upon which we agree. If I didn't have an Android phone (SGS3) then I'd probably go for a Lumia - they are nice to look at, and nice to use. As a long time Nokia fan I'm really rooting for Elop and co. I wouldn't go for an iPhone because for me they're too limited and I'm not a big fan of the iOS UI - I find it unfriendly for anything more than base operations - and don't get me started on the focus on Siri...
    ive had a go on android...didnt like it, a friend let me have a look at their HTC ...seemed ridiculously slow compared to an iPhone, had a go on a SGS3, that was...awful, i have small hands and that thing was just...massive, if i want massive i buy an ipad mini, ...it didnt even fit in my jeans pockets...im going to stop ranting now but needless to say im sure my opinion is quite clear...
    You didn't like Android - fine, it's a free world, you're entitled. Conversely I don't have shovel-hands (e.g. fingers aren't long enough to be able to play my guitar easily) but the S3 is fine for me - and fits (in a case) in my shirt pocket. By the way, you are aware that the iPad can't be used as a phone (VOIP excepted)? As for your opinion, you're undoubtedly welcome to express it - but I'm going to politely say that you're wrong (apart from the paragraph above, since that's personal experience)
    Nearly 700 million Android devices sold last year, outdoing Apples share by nearly 2.5x (source). That's not the track record of someone who's a "fail". Tim Cook on the other hand possibly has reason to be worried.

If I'm grading Andy's time at the helm then either A- or B+ from me - well done, but there was definitely scope to have done better.
    Last edited by crossy; 15-03-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information