Thread: News - Microsoft to pay $100 per app to Windows developers

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft to pay $100 per app to Windows developers

Is “Keep the Cash” a smart initiative or just desperation?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft to pay $100 per app to Windows developers

Offer good only to legal residents of the 50 United States & D.C. aged 18 or older who are a U.S. registered Windows Store and/or Windows Phone Store developer.
    Not surprising but a shame all the same.

Thanks

I wish they'd add a better rating system, add the ability to show 'top developers' and 'see all by this developer'

99% of apps on Apple Store / Play Store / Windows Store are absolute dog turd.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bledd View Post
    I wish they'd add a better rating system, add the ability to show 'top developers' and 'see all by this developer'

99% of apps on Apple Store / Play Store / Windows Store are absolute dog turd.
    Yeah thats so true, most are overly simple boring games, downright junk or have a good idea but clearly implemented in 5 min rush job just to see if it sank or swam.

If you filtered out apps with < X thousand downloads, < 3* rating, less than X% leave a good review etc then you'd be left with a much much smaller pool which would be a moderately good comparison.

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks

What the hell is that first graph? I cant tell you how much it annoys me when a graph has no axis, legend or title.

In addition the bars do not add up to anything like the trend line, and does not even move in a similar proportion (hence it would be a scaling issue).

Hexus, I expected more from you!!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by explicitlyrics View Post
    What the hell is that first graph? I cant tell you how much it annoys me when a graph has no axis, legend or title.

In addition the bars do not add up to anything like the trend line, and does not even move in a similar proportion (hence it would be a scaling issue).

Hexus, I expected more from you!!!
    You're right they should have some labels, but I think I can see what is going on: the numbers on the right and the line correspond to the total number of apps available in windows 8 during that month, and the bars and the numbers on the left show the total amount of new apps in that month. Only thing I'm not sure of is the difference between the blue and green part of the bars...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raz316 View Post
    Offer good only to legal residents of the 50 United States & D.C. aged 18 or older who are a U.S. registered Windows Store and/or Windows Phone Store developer.
    Not surprising but a shame all the same.
    It's a shame because there are very good developers outside the US. It's a pity this incentive doesn't extend to them. (Also for some of these $1000 may be worth a lot more than to a US person.)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    If you filtered out apps with < X thousand downloads, < 3* rating, less than X% leave a good review etc then you'd be left with a much much smaller pool which would be a moderately good comparison.
    I'm going to suggest that this probably isn't unique to WinStore - after all I'd suggest that these kind of filters would be superb in Google Play too - the fact that they aren't there is pretty surprising considering Google is big on search.
    Not sure what the filtering is like on the ITAS - given it's popularity I'd assume that it was a lot more capable.

And if Microsoft's got a surfeit of cash then how about a proper (MUI) app for Facebook!
    I very rarely see the ‘Metro’ side of things, the last time I looked there were about 10 updates available to my apps but I didn’t bother to do anything about it, I went straight to the desktop to work
    In other words, MUI is just a hindrance to productivity. Strangely enough both of my teenagers dislike it too - suggesting that it's kind of like Justin Bieber - perhaps pretty to look at, but ultimately just an annoyance you want to get rid of as soon as possible.

What annoys me is those MUI apps that just drop you down to the normal desktop and then (auto?) click a conventional icon. Installed a Logitech c615 webcam yesterday and that's what it did.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I can do nothing but laugh whenever I read a story like this.

Let's see who can have the largest collection of useless, buggy malware-infested apps!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valhar2000 View Post
    Let's see who can have the largest collection of useless, buggy malware-infested apps!
    Won't be the latter.

One of the advantages of closed garden app stores.

At the end of the day, all this really does is refund the sigining packaging costs of putting an app on the marketplace.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Will take some time but Win8 will get there eventually, like they always do I think Win8 is pretty good, its the bad publicity the got with Metro that slowed things down.

Thread Information