Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Microsoft financials show Surface RT write-down of $900 million

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft financials show Surface RT write-down of $900 million

Yet company says it is still committed to Surface RT and Windows RT.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft financials show Surface RT write-down of $900 million

What's shocking is that they didn't see that coming and launched the product anyway.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

They need to do an Atom based X86 one without office for about £200 tablet only and £250 keyboard inclusive. The ARM based ones are pointless for almost everyone.

Thanks

Nokia sold 7.4 million Lumias....Apple sold 37 million iPhones.

Still happy Nokia? I wouldn't be. How many smartphones did Samsung sell? About 10 times your figure Nokia....

Microsoft - yup nothing to add other than too little too late and too expensive
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    They need to do an Atom based X86 one without office for about £200 tablet only and £250 keyboard inclusive. The ARM based ones are pointless for almost everyone.
    Basically a cheap Surface Pro. I totally agree and seriously ask the question who thought and continues to think RT was a worthwhile investment...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    What's shocking is that they didn't see that coming and launched the product anyway.
    They didn't realize that the Apple sheep are, in fact, APPLE sheep. Other people are not willing to pay nearly half a grand for a tablet.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Nokia sold 7.4 million Lumias....Apple sold 37 million iPhones.

Still happy Nokia? I wouldn't be. How many smartphones did Samsung sell? About 10 times your figure Nokia....
    I would be! Nokia were doing a bit of a Kodak. They didn't see / weren't able to move to the way the market was heading.

The highly profitable 'moderately smartphone' market they had previously sewn up with Symbian was dying. It used to be a good market but apple showed many consumers were willing to pay a lot of money for something better. Nokia's better never arrived.

They now have a product which reviews are warm too, and consumers report satisfaction with. Compare with HTC who have seen falling massively from 2010 despite their increased focus on android.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Does someone smell burning, it's like a fire... but with a hint of sale... it's coming this way...

Released with a slow CPU (same as the already mature <£200 Nexus 7) and far too expensive so missed it's window. Had potential to be far more useful than iPad and probably Android given the peripheral compatibility and if the keyboard had been part of the package and the price <= £349 at launch, office on board would have made that a great product and enticed the market.

Now it's completely pointless in the face of cheap Atom powered Win8 x86 tablets which are even more compatible (and faster), cheap Android tablets and the Apple buyers stuck in the icosystem will stick to what they know unless something very, very clearly better comes along.
    Last edited by kingpotnoodle; 22-07-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by valhar2000 View Post
    They didn't realize that the Apple sheep are, in fact, APPLE sheep. Other people are not willing to pay nearly half a grand for a tablet.
    To be fair to Apple you do get some of what you pay for over the competition, they are still updating iOS for old models and they have used some of the fastest SoCs at the time and some good screens. Also iOS is almost idiot proof, frustratingly limited to a tinkering power user... but idiot proof. An iPad is a "safe buy" for the John Lewis crowd... (i.e. cost not the major sale point)

The closest competition has been the Nexus tablets IMHO as they have the same chance of software upgrades and the Nexus 10 is quite comparable to an iPad4, Google/Samsung are just taking a smaller profit. I wouldn't buy an iPad, I don't consider it money well spent, I could almost get an Ultrabook for the price of the higher ones, but I can see why people buy them. iPhone buying I don't understand so much, piddly little midget phones, or Macbooks for that matter, OSX makes me want to delete computers from spacetime... but that's another discussion!

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Many review sites were asking at the time what/whom RT was for once details of pro was released. OEMs seemed reluctant.

RT should have been a Chromebook in tablet form at 7" and priced no more than 250. Maybe a Nokia one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I would be! Nokia were doing a bit of a Kodak. They didn't see / weren't able to move to the way the market was heading.

The highly profitable 'moderately smartphone' market they had previously sewn up with Symbian was dying. It used to be a good market but apple showed many consumers were willing to pay a lot of money for something better. Nokia's better never arrived.

They now have a product which reviews are warm too, and consumers report satisfaction with. Compare with HTC who have seen falling massively from 2010 despite their increased focus on android.
    Really? Shares down again. Reviews good but sales not there. Although WP is now 3rd it's 3rd by a massive margin and several high profile apps have said they have no plans to migrate to WP. I'm still not seeing it here....

Thanks

Does 900 mil write down just mean 900 mil we couldn't gouge out of suckers, rather than any real monetary loss.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Really? Shares down again. Reviews good but sales not there. Although WP is now 3rd it's 3rd by a massive margin and several high profile apps have said they have no plans to migrate to WP. I'm still not seeing it here....
    If only they had you in charge, with your strategic brilliance and leadership, they'd turn around the company to be bigger than Apple in one quarter no doubt!

/s

The turn around may be slower than wanted but just surviving is better than going under.

Thanks

Cheers Noli - I'll find a job for you too!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Joking aside, you do appear to not get that they have to transition. They being MS. Before everyone just bought a PC, that was how it was, but the iPad proved to be very popular for precisely all the wrong reasons. It was very limited, little Tarquin couldn't download and install new super awesome smiley set by clicking on a banner add.

The thing didn't slow down with time, because Tarquin wasn't installing crap ware endlessly.

It had a stellar battery life.

It's reduced functionality made it simpler for simple things.

These have worried and hit the sales of the PC massively. Not to mention the PC market has matured, more people expect a longer life from their PC hardware. In the same way 5 years ago many people were buying a new phone every year, now fashion aside and iPhone four does everything that most people need from an iPhone five, why change!

MS have come too late to the party, but they are clearly here to stay, they've made what has to be said is a great product (this is been written on one) and ultimately it's far ahead of anything Android or Apple have. Having injured my arm do you know how amazing the voice command accessibility is on it?

Compare it to Google efforts with the nexus ten. It is fairing very well.

The market is clear however they prefer the smaller tablets.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Joking aside, you do appear to not get that they have to transition. They being MS. Before everyone just bought a PC, that was how it was, but the iPad proved to be very popular for precisely all the wrong reasons. It was very limited, little Tarquin couldn't download and install new super awesome smiley set by clicking on a banner add. The thing didn't slow down with time, because Tarquin wasn't installing crap ware endlessly.
    Erm, did you manage to miss out on those news stories where little "Tarquin" managed to rack up a load of expensive in-app purchases instead of downloading said crapware?
    MS have come too late to the party, but they are clearly here to stay, they've made what has to be said is a great product (this is been written on one) and ultimately it's far ahead of anything Android or Apple have. Having injured my arm do you know how amazing the voice command accessibility is on it?
    Far ahead of Android? Other than having "real" MS Office (and Doc2Go et al seem to do a good enough job for me) I honestly can't see what the big deal is with RT. It's not as if it can make the tea, solve world hunger or anything special. And I'll still argue that - for me at least - splashing the same money on an Android-based Transformer is a better bet. It's still got the SD slot, USB connectivity that RT has while also having a better screen and a LOT wider app support.

I'd take a LOT of convincing that, irrespective of how good the RT tablet was, it was a worthy product. MS screwed up by not launching "at cost" in the hope/expectation of getting some users in there and hence generating some interest in apps. Pricing it at the level of iPad's and Android tablets was a dumb move when there's (still!) not the app support to make it anything other than a curiosity. Heck, I had someone comment to me last week that this is true - to an extent - of even full Windows 8 - there's still not as many MUI apps as would be useful.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information