Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: News - Microsoft and Nokia ask EU to act over Android mobile monopoly

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft and Nokia ask EU to act over Android mobile monopoly

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    And what about iOS? Do they ever get targeted by this type of stuff?
    Not so much no, mostly because the user base is smaller it isn't dominant enough, but also Apple don't pass on your details everytime you buy/download an app.

Google have a stance of no privacy by default it appears that ethos was used by the Play store developers. Apparently you don't even have to install the app, just click the download button and they've got some personal info of yours.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

I aimed that statement more at the default browser, doesnt apple also refuse to let anything else be used so any alternative browser is simply a reskinned safari?.

Also I though Apple has something like a 40% market share which is pretty high, enough to warrant interest in their workings. Maybe I should look into this but I didnt really know that alot of information was passed when you bought an app, I simply assumed it was the bare essentials like username etc which isnt an issue as most things one can just look up online in directories .
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    Also I though Apple has something like a 40% market share which is pretty high
    No they really don't.

How would you cut the market share to be that?

The vast majority of phones that can browse the web, send a multimedia message, take a photo, play a game etc.

Do not run Apple, not even close. Their advertising might like you to think thats not the case thou.

I'd also say anyone who works in media (which I think sadly has a prerequisite of having practically zero numeracy, understanding averages is forbidden) forgets that and makes it sound more. I dare say as well certain slices of society Apple will have a very high share. I've heard people frequently say that on ABCs they are really represented in the As.

4. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (10-04-2013)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

According to this chart, with data from Gartner, iOS has 18.8% market share: http://www.quora.com/Mobile-Phones/W...rating-systems

Android's mobile market share of 64.1% is significantly less than Window's desktop market share of 91% so I don't think there is a significant claim to be made. Despite this I would welcome the investigation to conclude that Google needs to reduce the amount of data collected for simple actions like app purchases or even better force all data collection to be strictly opt-in.

Registered+
    Thanks

"Google is using its Android mobile operating system as a Trojan Horse", while Microsoft has Mr Burning Platform Stephen Elop at Nokia at their Trojan.

Registered+
    Thanks

as their Trojan

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

FairSearch is a lobbying group consisting of many Google rivals including the likes of Microsoft, Nokia, Oracle, Trip Advisor and Twenga.
    I've never heard of this group, so I just looked up the membership list and it's:
    • tripadvisor, kayak, hotwire, expedia, sidestep, level.com, techtravel - travel search sites
    • foundem - google search competition
    • shopcity, twenga, thefind, allegro - google shopping
    • admarketplace - ad searching, google search again?
    • buscape - lord knows, heavy users of buzzword generators.
    • microsoft - competes with Google on most things
    • nokia - does what papa microsoft tells it to?
    • oracle - the world's most evil company.

Interestingly enough, the statement from this group that "Based on growing evidence that Google is abusing its search monopoly to thwart competition". Well, gentle reader, last time I looked Google didn't have a monopoly - as evidenced by the existence of many other search engines, such as Ask, DuckDuckGo, oh, and of course ... Bing. Should we also be complaining because Bing is the default on Windows Phones and/or Xbox? Of course not, it's expected.
    So what we have here is a list of (mostly) also-rans complaining because consumers aren't chosing them as "winners in the marketplace" (taken from the FairSearch 'essential principles' statement). In other words ... sour grapes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    Android's mobile market share of 64.1% is significantly less than Window's desktop market share of 91% so I don't think there is a significant claim to be made. Despite this I would welcome the investigation to conclude that Google needs to reduce the amount of data collected for simple actions like app purchases or even better force all data collection to be strictly opt-in.
    I utterly agree with the above. I'd also like to see more user control on what privileges are granted in Android - e.g. if I don't want an app to be able to access my contact list, then I should be able to deny that access. And if that means that some of the app's features are non-functional then so be it. At the moment it's a case of "this app needs all these permissions", so if you don't like the set then your only option is not to install the app - poor control!

And yes, I too am a little unhappy about the amount of data gathering going on with Google - but then again, isn't that the flipside to all the "free" stuff that they offer? 'Don't accept the "freebies" if you don't want to pay the price' is my view - FairSearch to the contrary, it's not as if there's no choice ... other search engines instead of Google Search, Firefox instead of Chrome, iOS/WinPhone/Ubuntu/FirefoxOS instead of Android/ChromeOS, etc, etc.
    Last edited by crossy; 10-04-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Interesting challenge that I doubt will go anywhere..and in my view it's just as daft an idea as it was Microsoft being forced to waste money on N versions of windows and providing a browser choice popup.

They do kind of have a point - the mobile market at the moment is pretty uncompetitive in general, with only 3 main choices (4 if you count RIM but they are not likely to be here much longer) of OS, all of which lock you in to make it very difficult and expensive to switch between platforms. So in that sense there is an issue of sorts to be solved..however I don't think this is the way to do it. It is possible for new competition to emerge with the right innovation, but that hasn't happened yet as we're still in the middle of this software cycle.

It's also true about the Google integration, another good point - but again not one unique to Google..Microsoft are the worst of the lot for it in my view given how tightly Bing is integrated into the OS (it was the thing I hated most about mine) and Apple, whilst uncharacteristically open/configurable in this aspect are still guilty by the way the browser is locked down to use their rendering engine.

So in brief..all a fuss about nothing that will blow over before long.

As long as they don't go to the EU courts..then we'd all be in trouble!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    Since when is 64.1% market share a monopoly? This case fails at the first hurdle.

I would like for data collection to be more transparent and most importantly be an opt-in situation rather than finding the setting to opt-out.
    On the second sentence, I absolutely agree.

On the first though, I'd point out that it is not necessarily the case that 64.1% fails the monopoly test.

A simplistic economic definition of monopoly is that of a single seller, but the real definition is to do with the ability of a single seller to dominate the market, thereby affecting prices by changing it's output, and it's output alone. 64.1% might be enough to do that. A lot depends on the market and the product.

For instance, conditions might be such that the minimum efficient scale necessary to fully expolit all available internal economies of scale is such that there's only room for one company to reach it. Any company that does can exploit that cost differential.

Nor, necessarily, is a monolpoly a bad thing, and the above example is one reason why it might not be.

Further, economists seek to avoid moral judgments on good and bad, like whether artificial price maintenance is good or bad, where it requires a value judgnent between whether the excess should go to producer or consumer, but concentrates on the overall goodness to the economy, in terms of wealth generation. If a monopoly results in increased efficiency, it might result ina higher net output for the economy, even though individual consumers pay more. How do you value a lit of small individual "bads", against a larger collective "good"?

But that's where legal interpretations of monopoly differ from economic ones, and that's certainly true of successive generations of "antitrust" legislation, in much of the world, and where market power, not sole supplier, is definitely the main criteria.

"Monopoly" is a bit like "recession" .... there is no one single universal definition, though some definitions are certainly far more common than others. For recession, most people mean two successive quarters of negative growth, but that is not the only definition. It's also like "average", where most people mean (excuse the pun) the arithmetic mean, but that's only one (if the most common) of about half a dozen averages I can think of.

11. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (11-04-2013)

Thanks

Ask Netscape what they think about this. Then try to work out how it's any different from MS leveraging a free IE to sell more IIS installations.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

@ Saracen

I agree that monopolies aren't inherently bad but I can't justify calling Android a monopoly in the mobile market.

I find any case made that more "economic output" is good to be inherently flawed because it doesn't benefit society. That extra economic output only facilitates more inequality which has been found to be a negative influence on society and leads to people living in that society being worse off. Economic reasoning I find to be an oxymoron, it doesn't reflect reality because economics is divorced from it.

IRN-BRU(tm)
    Thanks

Google are really bad tbh, I work in the sports betting industry and google do not allow ANY betting based Apps in the Google Play. The mobile betting industry is rated at £6billion, Google have a 55% market share (or something) therefore it is very difficult to reach users without TV advert size money. Betting is legal and regulated in the UK, Google should not be allowed to dictate thier own personal moral view on the world, taking advantage of thier monopoly (duopoly with Apple). Microsoft stop crying, your product is not desirable, get over it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Google should not be allowed to dictate thier own personal moral view on the world, taking advantage of thier monopoly (duopoly with Apple).
    The US have laws that make this very difficult for Google, it isn't their decision unless they re-structure it.

Thanks

When it comes to software I don't think companies should be scrutinised by things like this, if they're market leaders its because their software is better than yours so suck it up or make better software yourself...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Interesting challenge that I doubt will go anywhere..and in my view it's just as daft an idea as it was Microsoft being forced to waste money on N versions of windows and providing a browser choice popup.
    Quite, so was that fines of hundreds of millions of dollars going into some pockets paid for by raised prices of products by the end users?

Registered+
    Thanks

Well Microsoft did have that Antitrust ban for like 15 years so never say never.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information