Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Nokia’s new range said to include a Lumia phablet

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: News - Nokia’s new range said to include a Lumia phablet

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Simple, public perception of Samsung is so much better. Nokia DO NOT excite anybody anymore...
    True, but how long will that last. If you'd said to someone that Samsung would be beating Apple in 2009 you'd have been laughed at.

If Nokia get the 808's camera working in a WP, that would be a really good halo product. Heck I'd probably buy one just because I hate not having my DSLR with me.

However, getting that kind of silicon processing working on WP might well be an expensive challenge.

But what other innovations are people expecting this year?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Oh yes, of course it might not last. But as cycles go, I guess they have 3 or so years in them.
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Simple, public perception of Samsung is so much better. Nokia DO NOT excite anybody anymore...
    Samsung's been better at "getting out there" - they've got so many phones that you can't help but to be aware of the brand. Nokia, on the other hand, are pretty much an unknown quantity to anyone but dinosaurs like me who remember them in their heyday. Maybe they need to make more of their PR opportunities like the use on shows such as Hawaii Five-O?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    True, but how long will that last. If you'd said to someone that Samsung would be beating Apple in 2009 you'd have been laughed at.

If Nokia get the 808's camera working in a WP, that would be a really good halo product. Heck I'd probably buy one just because I hate not having my DSLR with me. However, getting that kind of silicon processing working on WP might well be an expensive challenge.

But what other innovations are people expecting this year?
    A "Me Too" on the above - if Nokia continue to develop as they have been doing then next year's "930" (?) model is going to be something spectacular and has a good chance of steering me away from Android (even though I've got quite a lot of paid for apps). Other thing about Nokia is that they're capable of seeing the whole picture - so that's phones AND accessories. Compare that with the poor quality and/or expensive Samsung accessories where's the sodding wireless charger for my S3 you promised Samsung eh?

What I really would have liked to see is a much thicker phone that used that extra "pork" to include a bigger battery and - if 808 sensor-equipped - a true optical zoom. In a sea of "me too" designs, going for the person who doesn't want to charge daily and converge out their digicam has to be worth going for.

No - to me at least - Nokia's doing things right finally. The only dark cloud on the horizon being Microsoft. From what I'm hearing there's still a lot wrong with Windows Phone that Redmond need to deal with asap. Ignoring stuff though like poor connectivity etc, the interface does look really good - was in the Virgin Media store the other day and a little kid managed to figure it out in a minute or two.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Nokia still have a long, long way to turn things around with the public. They are still seen as outdated and old fashioned. I hope they turn it around but I can't see it happening quickly enough...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    No - to me at least - Nokia's doing things right finally. The only dark cloud on the horizon being Microsoft. From what I'm hearing there's still a lot wrong with Windows Phone that Redmond need to deal with asap. Ignoring stuff though like poor connectivity etc, the interface does look really good - was in the Virgin Media store the other day and a little kid managed to figure it out in a minute or two.
    Only thing I find I'm missing is the notification centre, and even then thats a minor issue.

I have my MissedCalls,linked-emails,priority-email,SMS,WhatsApp,Skype message count all displayed on the lock screen. I also have it set to show the first bit of an SMS on the lock screen too.

Then everything else like Baconit has a live tile.

I don't find I'm missing much on the 920 tbh. In fact when I'm on the S3 I find I'm missing the Nokia maps a lot more, as googles simply isn't anything like as fast, fluid or good for cylcing/walking, the detail isn't there. However Google is more up to date with venues on their map, but nokia works offline, very handy when no signal, and aggregates reviews from a lot of sources.

It's swings and roundabouts, there are aspects I prefer of both, but overall I much prefer the UI and speed of use of WP.

One thing's for certain, iOS only gets a look in because of 3rd party apps, that isn't a good thing.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

I don't find I'm missing much on the 920 tbh. In fact when I'm on the S3 I find I'm missing the Nokia maps a lot more, as googles simply isn't anything like as fast, fluid or good for cylcing/walking, the detail isn't there. However Google is more up to date with venues on their map, but nokia works offline, very handy when no signal, and aggregates reviews from a lot of sources.
    Hmm, Google Maps sometimes bears out that old saying about getting what you pay for. I ended up paying for CoPilot on my S3 which, like Nokia Maps, quite happily does offline use. Only downside of CoPilot (other than having to pay for it of course) is that it does take a kind of Teutonic view of things - i.e. it holds onto it's preferred routing for quite a long time if you decide to take an ad hoc detour.
    It's swings and roundabouts, there are aspects I prefer of both, but overall I much prefer the UI and speed of use of WP. One thing's for certain, iOS only gets a look in because of 3rd party apps, that isn't a good thing.
    Agreed - at least to the limited extent that I've seen from the times I get a borrow of my daughters 8S (I told her to go Nokia 620 instead, but she wanted the larger screen of the 8S). I can't help wondering how we went from "Android is iOS' leading competitor" to "WP8 challenges Android's phone dominance". Innovate or die I guess - which is why I'm hoping (for Nokia's sake) that Microsoft don't do the usual and say "here's our OS, now we're away to do something else" and leave it to wither.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information