Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: Do you pay the TV Licence fee?

OilSheikh

Re: Features - QOTW: Do you pay the TV Licence fee?

I do as my paremts watch TV. I do think it needs to be abolished. Nothing good to see on TV at all.

I usually download my shows and have my own TV schedule

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myss_tree View Post
    Still have a TV license but its likely to be my last, there simply is nothing that i am desperate to watch live anymore.
    The BBC needs to adapt to the modern world and go 'pay per view' for each individual programme as i am not sold on the satellite 'pay per channel(s)' option either.
    If (for example) Top Gear was available to watch for a fee of say 50p per episode it would be much better and you would no longer be paying for all the dross such as Eastenders.
    That might work if the only thing you watch all year is top gear, but if you were to charge 50p per hour, anyone who watches more than 3 hours a week is screwed...
    While I have issues with a lot of BBC programming these days compared to the past, I still think there's plenty to justify the license fee. A combination of radio 4 / BBC 4 by themselves justifies the fee as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's probably inevitable that the license fee will probably be done away with in the next couple off decades, and if it is I think we'll be the worse for it. If nothing else without the iPlayers influence I suspect on line video services in this country would be pretty pants - look at how bad ITVs offering is even in response to the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    I do as my paremts watch TV. I do think it needs to be abolished. Nothing good to see on TV at all.

I usually download my shows and have my own TV schedule
    So you're not paying for the content at all? I'm sure that's a sustainable model for the future of quality TV!

I have a lot of respect for this who do without TV at all, and less respect for those are happy with sky's offerings. But for this who think it's OK to watch without paying in any form (I count watching adverts as a form of payment) I have very little respect at all.
    Last edited by capt_cornflake; 19-04-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

nope I wont pay it.I think quite simply if people want to watch bbc services and are willing to pay for it then fair enough, but if you dont watch their channels then you shouldn't have to.

If tv license people come just tell them to go away, they arent police and have no right to enter your home.

Thanks

At least you get semi decent stuff on the BBC, we have to pay 160+ euro a year over here in Ireland for absolute muck, and I mean complete and utter trash. That and the TV stations are saturated with adverts, making even anything you might otherwise watch, unwatchable. Oh and all the adverts are retarded so you need to reach for the remote and mute every time or else you'd go nuts just listening to them, every one of them are full of mongo or overly camp voices, even childrens adverts. Me personally, I have a small weird shaped satellite Dish from Germany installed with multiple (4) LNB's and I get in tons of free channels along with paying a yearly sub to Al Jazeera for all the sports. Still works out an awful lot less than a TV licence.
    Paying for stuff you don't even watch is sickening :/

5. Received thanks from:

Super Nerd
    Thanks

I think the BBC is worth £13 a month or whatever it is, I get more than enough out of it to justify that and would keep paying it it was optional. I'd watch a lot more if only I had the time, I wish BBC would hurry up and get the Android app able to cache programs to watch offline.

I think it's pretty sad that people say they use a loophole to not pay yet watch it all on iPlayer, another example of the demanding freebie culture we seem to be slipping into.

Drum & Bass Till I Die deejayburnout's Avatar
    Thanks
    • deejayburnout's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 2600 at stock speeds ( for now)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x Corsair 8GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Gigabyte 128GB M.2 PCIe x2 NVMe SSD, 120GB Kingston SV200, 2 x 1TB WD Drive, 2 x 2TB WD Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8G Gaming OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750 Watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Noctis 450
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM65-P Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 72mb Down 19mb up - Vodafone

Pay the licence but seldom watch anything.

Wife has her shows and mainly the kids TV shows are on cbeebies and bomberang and the like.

We have netflix and that is used a lot.

TV sucks most of the time and the BBC is even worse.

Would rather be playing video games.
    Better to Burn out than Fade Away
    Check out my Youtube channel - Crispy Crisperson

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    nope I wont pay it.I think quite simply if people want to watch bbc services and are willing to pay for it then fair enough, but if you dont watch their channels then you shouldn't have to.

If tv license people come just tell them to go away, they arent police and have no right to enter your home.
    They have no right to enter your home unless they have a search warrant issued by a magistrate, in which case, they likely will be accompanied by police (who are there to ensure there is no breach of the peace, not to conduct the search). And such warrants are issued. I know that, because a very close relative has issued a number of them.

Thanks

I pay as the wife doesn't want the hassle and harassment, even though we could make do with just smart tv functions.

It is claimed that tv detector vans don't work with digital tv signals how true is that though. Otherwise how do they get warrants.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

I do, but rarely watch much of it - watching live is especially rare.

As others have indicated, usually Netflix/iPlayer/etc. and DVDs/Blu-Rays are preferred.
    Last edited by Output; 20-04-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Thanks
    • kellyharding's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B550M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Geil
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD, 2x 480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb WD BLack HDD, 2x Hiitachi 2Tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte WindForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet! System Power 700W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 23", Samsung SM2343BW, NEC 1970nxp
      • Internet:
      • EE 70Mbps

You need a TV Licence for ALL television watched live 'as it airs', including all channels aired over cable/satalite or aerial. Netflix and the like don't need one.
    Desktop MSI B550M Mortar, Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB DDR4 3200, 1Tb NVMe SSD, 2x480GB SATA SSD, 4Tb + 2x2Tb HDD, 3x monitors, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Server MSI Z170A Gaming M7, Intel i7-6700K, 16Gb DDR 2400, 120Gb SATA SSD, 1Tb WD Black HDD, 4x 4Tb HDD in RAID5

Thanks

Oh, thought I'd mention this one also. Ireland is proposing to change the TV License to a Media License, encompassing all forms of broadcast media including youtube etc., so as to shut the door on people who don't buy TV's but instead watch streams on their monitors via their PC's/media centres etc.,

Yes that's true, I'm honestly not making that up :/

Won't be long before the UK pick up on that little beauty either.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by nacasatu View Post
    Oh, thought I'd mention this one also. Ireland is proposing to change the TV License to a Media License, encompassing all forms of broadcast media including youtube etc., so as to shut the door on people who don't buy TV's but instead watch streams on their monitors via their PC's/media centres etc.,

Yes that's true, I'm honestly not making that up :/

Won't be long before the UK pick up on that little beauty either.
    Well, it's inevitable - it's becoming much too easy to not need a TV license for it to continue in the current form.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

I'd gladly pay £300 a year to get rid of adverts, can't stand them. As it is I use Netflix almost exclusively, there is more content on there than I can watch in my lifetime.

I'm waiting for the ridiculous broadcast system to cease to exist, on demand content should have been the de-facto method for content distribution years ago.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    I'd gladly pay £300 a year to get rid of adverts, can't stand them. As it is I use Netflix almost exclusively, there is more content on there than I can watch in my lifetime.

I'm waiting for the ridiculous broadcast system to cease to exist, on demand content should have been the de-facto method for content distribution years ago.
    Not everyone has access to on-demand content, or broadband, or even a computer. The broadcast system gives virtually free access to all, with minimal demand for either equipment, knowledge or subscription.

It is, if you like, a bares bones level of content accessible to all, just by plugging a TV into an aerial, and just about anyone that wants a TV has one, or can get one for next to nothing .... or nothing at all via freecycle, etc.

I, like you, would pay £300 a year to get rid of adverts. As it is, I spend time not money. I record anything I want to watch off air, edit adverts out, and watch it advert-less. I'd rather spend the time removing adverts before watching, than wreck the experience by skipping while watching.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Not everyone has access to on-demand content, or broadband, or even a computer. The broadcast system gives virtually free access to all, with minimal demand for either equipment, knowledge or subscription.

It is, if you like, a bares bones level of content accessible to all, just by plugging a TV into an aerial, and just about anyone that wants a TV has one, or can get one for next to nothing .... or nothing at all via freecycle, etc.
    I don't see why the means for transmitting the media can't remain the same, it is the way in which it is done that I don't like. On demand content in the form of catalogues doesn't need to be streamed over the internet.

OilSheikh

Quote Originally Posted by capt_cornflake View Post

So you're not paying for the content at all? I'm sure that's a sustainable model for the future of quality TV!

I have a lot of respect for this who do without TV at all, and less respect for those are happy with sky's offerings. But for this who think it's OK to watch without paying in any form (I count watching adverts as a form of payment) I have very little respect at all.
    There are millions of people like me who don't watch TV and have our own downloaded TV schedule. If the original TV channels ( e.g. FOX ) had an offering where I could watch and pay £1 or 2 per episode, I would happily do it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information