Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Order groceries, get them within an hour, from PocketShop UK

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Order groceries, get them within an hour, from PocketShop UK

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    They already are!

Have you ever considered trying ocado, you know... For science!
    No, they aren't. If I don't like what I see, I won't buy it. There's a difference between, for example, buying a tin of baked beans and buying an avocado. You don't need to assess the ripeness, or otherwise, of a tin of baked beans of a bottle of shower soap, but I did say "fruit and veg". If, at any particular point, I don't like the available fruit or veg, I buy something else or don't buy at all.

But, for the record, I buy a lot of fruit and veg from a market, and most of my meat from a local farm. Have I tried Ocado? No. If I was to use this type of service, that's my first point of call, but I haven't and have no plans to.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny_Y8S View Post
    So many single young men without children taking a dig at anyone who might need a service like this.

One day (If you shower regularly, learn to talk to girls and smile occasionally) your wife will have a nasty tummy bug and you'll be stuck in one afternoon looking after her and your 'could wake up screaming any second' sleeping baby.

At times like that an emergency delivery of nappies, wet-wipes and of course beer could be a life saver.
    If you include me in that, I'll admit to beinga man, but I'm certainly not single and I'll never see 50 again .... unfortunately. So "single young man", not hardly.

I'm also the one that does most of the shopping and about 95% of the cooking. The wife is not keen on either, and it's also more convenient for me to do it.

I don't knock services like this though. As I said, "each to his own", but it's not for me.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny_Y8S View Post
    So many single young men without children taking a dig at anyone who might need a service like this.One day (If you shower regularly, learn to talk to girls and smile occasionally) your wife will have a nasty tummy bug and you'll be stuck in one afternoon looking after her and your 'could wake up screaming any second' sleeping baby. At times like that an emergency delivery of nappies, wet-wipes and of course beer could be a life saver.
    Hmm, I don't qualify on the "young" or "single" stakes. If my missus was THAT ill that she couldn't manage for the 20 minutes it'd take me to get to the shops and back then I'd be dialling 999.

And of course being better organised takes care of the nappies and other necessities. Or in our case, we've always got relatives that we could cadge from - either as babysitters or shoppers.

In the scenario you paint I'm not sure me firing up the PC would be appreciated, plus the delivery charge would have SWMBO not in the best of moods. As in "for that kind of money, I'd expect them to deliver them, put them in my cupboards, AND cook my tea" (direct quote!)

To be contrary, I'd perhaps argue that it's the "party-hard, facebooking, social media butterflies" singletons that this service is aimed at.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information