Thread: News - Microsoft Surface Pro will arrive in the UK before the end of May

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft Surface Pro will arrive in the UK before the end of May

It's finally nearing availability. Is anybody still waiting for it?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • Animus404's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
      • CPU:
      • 3.2Ghz AMD PhenomII x4 955
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 1600mhz (Corsair XMS3)
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Black + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX 970 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 525watt Entermax Modu82+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21" LCD HP Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 38Mbit

Re: News - Microsoft Surface Pro will arrive in the UK before the end of May

I guess they haven't revealed the price then?

Thanks
    • raven1001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB corsair
      • Storage:
      • Corsiar 60GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX480
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • lian li
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT 20MB

"We’ve worked hard to increase availability, and most retail partners in the U.S. and Canada as well as the Microsoft Store now have the 128 GB product consistently in stock"

Marketing BS, it aint selling well at all, that's why it's consistently in stock. You don't fool me MS.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • PmanUk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770k @ 4.95ghz!
      • Memory:
      • 4x4Gb Dominator 1833
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120Gb Cosair GT3, 1x 256gb Crucial M4, 3x WD 2Tb Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 2Gb EVGA 670 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850w HX
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D VG278H
      • Internet:
      • 24mb ADSL

Its going to be about a grand and at which point people will just say for the first time ever that an Ipad is good value...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raven1001 View Post
    Marketing BS, it aint selling well at all, that's why it's consistently in stock. You don't fool me MS.
    Well they did sell out at first, and they have sold over 1M in the first 6 weeks of launch. The question is, did they expect to sell more.
    Quote Originally Posted by PmanUk View Post
    Its going to be about a grand and at which point people will just say for the first time ever that an Ipad is good value...
    Not really, because if you've got an iPad, you're still going to need a computer. With this, you won't need an iPad with your computer.

But for me, its too much of a sledgehammer for my walnut tasks. I want more battery life than it offers, also built in 4g. As such its a definate no, maybe the refreshed version, but not this one.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Short version seems to be 'nice enough little laptop, but eyewatering price for the spec'?

I'd have liked a Surface RT, if the software wasn't so restricted (put a proper ARM port on there, MS would have a sale!) - I've always liked ARMs. Maybe hacking a Chromebook's the way to go...

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been using my RT a lot, a lot more than I anticipated. What is it that is restricted for you? It is a proper ARM port! Or do you mean adding in some emulation functionality? I fear that would be dog slow.

As is the only limitations I've hit are that Excel 2013 on the surface lacks the data visualisation toolkit, still has all the normal charts mind, and no VBA. Really sad about that last one. All in all, its no worse than using Office for Mac.

I still love how brilliant it is for multitasking stuff, doing some work on something whilst on a skype call. All on a 10" device which has never lasted less than 7 hours for me, no matter what I was doing.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Not at that price and storage size with the Asus Taichi and Sony Vaio Duo in the same price range.

Thanks

Price and battery life will decide if its the mobile pc choice for me. If the price is north of £600 for the 128GB model then its likely to be a no buy.
    Having been none to impressed overall with a Vivotab Smart this (Surface) is going to have to be streets ahead better.

Thanks

For some reason my mind read the title as: "Microsoft Surface Pro will arrive in the UK before the end of the universe."

Super Nerd
    Thanks

I don't see the point in RT at the moment, the Atom tablets are faster, similar price equivalent battery and size and run fully compatible x86 Windows 8. It looks to me like RT was just hedging in case Atom didn't shape up and ARM chips won hands down in the tablet power envelope. RT might make sense with better chips than Tegra 3 and tempt me if it undercuts Atom tablets at 7-8" for <£250.

I was initially interested in a Pro but the lack of 3G/4G (so I'd need a MiFi or something pushing up cost) and lap standing unfriendliness killed it, the ridiculous price gouging on keyboard didn't help either. If it had 3G at least I might forgive the rest but its just not useful enough to me for the price. It is great hardware if you care not for 3G or using keyboard on lap... battery life wouldn't bother me, I'm so rarely more than a few hours usage between sockets. I'll be keeping an eye on v2... Otherwise still nothing compelling enough to bother replacing my 2.5 yr old Dell 101z.

Thanks

Win8 on a tablet just isn't a pleasant experience. The IFKAM (interface formerly known as metro) is too in your face and big. The Win8 desktop is too small and fiddly to use with a small touch screen. The interface itself isn't consistent either. Sometimes an app will launch within IFKAM and sometimes it drops back to the desktop before launching. It's confusing and unpleasant for most normal users.

I've used both a Win8 RT and Win8 Pro tablet and - the Win 8 RT one impressed me more. It's just lacks most of the functionality you would need (the Win 8 app store is like a ghost town). The Win8 Pro tablet has better functionality - but at a price that you could buy a decent Ultrabook for.

And don't get me started on the price of the keyboards!

1 wheel > 2 wheels > 4 wheels | My Photos

Thanks

Overpriced, too heavy, not enough storage capacity on the SSD, numerous bugs in OS, battery life inadequate.

On other hand proper USB port can take USB memory stick, great screen, wonderfully inventive keyboard/cover.

I will wait for version 2.

And I hate the w8 music and movie apps (or "programs" as those of us who have graduated from short pants call them). Nothing more than advertising billboards with a small program attached by accident.

Why buy WMC, download XBMC

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Too little too late to be honest. Should have been available ages ago. New tablets from everyone else just around the corner.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thread Information