Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Microsoft IllumiRoom: a must-have Xbox 720 peripheral?

Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft IllumiRoom: a must-have Xbox 720 peripheral?

Looking at the photos, I wasn't convinced. Looking at the video, I have to say that I'd get it if A. it gets great reviews all-round, or B. It's priced low enough to be an impulse purchase for me.. and that's assuming that I will even go for a Xbox 720 AND move to an apartment that's better laid out for it. I also wonder how well it'll play with a projector (I suspect that they'll get in each other's way). If I end up moving to somewhere more permanent, I would be inclined to go back to projector gaming.

Thanks
    • MrBozack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k @4.47mHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Blue DDR3
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 7850 OC Windforce X2 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W
      • Case:
      • SilverStone LC17
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro with MCE
      • Monitor(s):
      • Toshiba 40" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 24mb Copper

The projector looks bulky. They're not usually silent either... mains plug/wires.... ugh no thank you. Looks pretty good, but can it really become "the gaming standard for developers"?
    I think I'll pass on IllumiRoom. I mean c'mon, Tridef probably looked better, years ago!

Registered+
    Thanks

Any sudden movement will induce nausea.

Sure it looks pretty in videos and may work well on paper, but I cannot imagine a situation where it'd enhance the gaming experience.

If this is whats going to sell the 720 then it will flop.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JollyJoe View Post
    If this is whats going to sell the 720 then it will flop.
    No its not.

It's early prototype stage, I would be surprised if this is released sooner than half way through the life of the new xbox.

The Kinect was a good sales tool, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, MS want to keep the xbox in that area, they really do need to. I think compared to sony, they are doing well, their indie store is a rather quiet success from what I've heard, also more discoverable than the Google or Apple offerings which makes the people I know who've used it like it.

MS are just aligning this for everyone, that will include people you don't like and look down on, myself I have been known to play guitar hero, so can't look down on those who want to have a dance along with full immersion.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meowdance View Post
    Immersion? Maybe. Looks incredibly distracting to me.
    Assuming that refers to my comment, then I agree. I find 3D distracting, and Illumiroom strikes me as being in the same category.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    No its not.

It's early prototype stage, I would be surprised if this is released sooner than half way through the life of the new xbox.

The Kinect was a good sales tool, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, MS want to keep the xbox in that area, they really do need to. I think compared to sony, they are doing well, their indie store is a rather quiet success from what I've heard, also more discoverable than the Google or Apple offerings which makes the people I know who've used it like it.

MS are just aligning this for everyone, that will include people you don't like and look down on, myself I have been known to play guitar hero, so can't look down on those who want to have a dance along with full immersion.

I wasn't looking down on anyone, just stating that I doubt the illumiRoom is going to be a huge unit seller. I'm sure MS have some tricks up their sleeves, Kinect 2 if it works properly. It will come down to launch exclusives and price points.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information