Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Features - QOTW: How much do you spend on apps?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Features - QOTW: How much do you spend on apps?

Probably spent about £20 so far. I am happy to buy them but not many that are that useful to me.

Saying that, Wyse Pocketcloud and Tapatalk were probably worth a lot more to me than they cost.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

So far, in total, £0.

There are a few I might buy (like Tapatalk), and a few more, especially to get rid of adverts. But to date, £zero.

PC software, on the other hand, I shudder to think how much I've spent, but it's on everything from the OS to genealogy software, and Office to my book collector database.

Thanks

Zero... The only time I'll probably ever spend money on the play store would be for a Nexus device(when it becomes available in my country)

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

To date, I think I've only spent €7ish or something on apps, the most expensive of which was Tasker, it saves me from having to do a lot of manual fiddling with my phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

When I made my last post I forgot that I also bought some office suite for Android. It was when I was beta testing SoftMaker Office for Android, and I wanted a comparison point, and it was just $8 or so. Since then I bought another one when it was really cheap.

So with that, the games related apps and games and game bundles, I'm definitely over £10, though probably still less than £20.

What I'm not considering here is the Kickstarter projects I backed for the Android version of a game or pledged more because of it. That would raise the sum significantly, though probably still less than £50 in total. (I pledged a lot more for pure PC games, though I would have loved for them to also do an Android version.)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

I've paid for loads of apps, for two main reasons - firstly I hate the look of ads and would rather have the paid version without them, I don't trust ads to not be redirects to malware sites and accidental taps are just annoying. Secondly I actually believe in paying other people for their efforts, so if I like an app and use it then I'd like the developers to get some money. It actually annoys me when there is no premium version without ads, I'm likely to not use those apps and find another.

I have probably spent £50 or more on Google Play store by now.

I wonder if they asked what would be the value of apps (particularly games) that people *should* have paid for but instead pirated...

Thanks

£0.0

(Although once I did pay £2 and bought a friends app to support his launch - in hindsight, a beer would have been better!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Secondly I actually believe in paying other people for their efforts
    I agree with that. However my experience of most -- if not all -- apps is that I get an initial "oh, that's cool", fiddle around for a bit, then never quite get around to running them again. So my app-enabled devices have become like my bottom kitchen drawer... full of bits & bobs which will be totally invaluable. One day. But not now. Or yesterday, or even last year. In fact, come to think of it, why am I storing that junk? :-)

I'm probably just not finding the right apps.

Thanks

I must admit that I initially had some reservations about purchasing paid apps, but after a while I came to the conclusion that i'm happy to spend £3-£4 on a pint of beer that lasts half an hour, but worry over spending 69p on an app that I suspect i'll get quite a bit of use out of ... so I changed my mind! That said, i've probably only spent around £15-£20.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information