Thread: News - Nokia Lumia 928 revealed and promo video released

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Nokia Lumia 928 revealed and promo video released

But will the aluminium clad “Catwalk” be revealed in London tomorrow?
    Read more.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: News - Nokia Lumia 928 revealed and promo video released

Not why that guy has such a downer on the 928, sure the display is a little bit less on PPI, that is only dual core, but I'd wager the battery lasts a hell of a lot longer, the image stabilisation is really effective compared to HTCs offerings, and samsung don't really get a look in for camera.

I'm half suspecting he hasn't even laid hands on the predecessor.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Battery: According to Nokia spec the Lumia 928 has significantly better talk and standby times of 16.2 Hrs and 541 Hrs compared to the Lumia 920’s 10.8/460. With the same battery capacity we must assume the OLED screen helps reduce the battery usage.
    OLED screen should not help either standby or talk time as in both cases the screen should be off (asleep or sensor driven respectively).

Perhaps the CPU has had a die-shrink or there is a better GSM radio installed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Not why that guy has such a downer on the 928, sure the display is a little bit less on PPI, that is only dual core, but I'd wager the battery lasts a hell of a lot longer, the image stabilisation is really effective compared to HTCs offerings, and samsung don't really get a look in for camera.

I'm half suspecting he hasn't even laid hands on the predecessor.
    That's not the issue with Nokia though is it? I get to speak to plenty of people about phones and hardly anybody is even interested with Nokia these days (I'm speaking generally here). If the average person isn't bothered they've got a mountain to climb regardless of the actual hardware. Case in point, was in a phone shop Saturday just having a tinker with an S4 and overhead at least 5 people say WP8 has "crazy tiles things that are crap" or similiar statements. This perception is hammering sales for Nokia who have bet the company on WP8
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Battery: According to Nokia spec the Lumia 928 has significantly better talk and standby times of 16.2 Hrs and 541 Hrs compared to the Lumia 920’s 10.8/460. With the same battery capacity we must assume the OLED screen helps reduce the battery usage.
    OLED screen should not help either standby or talk time as in both cases the screen should be off (asleep or sensor driven respectively).

Perhaps the CPU has had a die-shrink or there is a better GSM radio installed?

The reason why it has longer battery life, is that the voltage used for the 920 is 3.7v, whereas on the 928 is 3.34v. Which i believe is due to changing screens, but not sure.

Hopefully Nokia will do a better marketing push, and focus on a few of the useful features.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    That's not the issue with Nokia though is it? I get to speak to plenty of people about phones and hardly anybody is even interested with Nokia these days (I'm speaking generally here). If the average person isn't bothered they've got a mountain to climb regardless of the actual hardware. Case in point, was in a phone shop Saturday just having a tinker with an S4 and overhead at least 5 people say WP8 has "crazy tiles things that are crap" or similiar statements. This perception is hammering sales for Nokia who have bet the company on WP8
    Were those five people holding on tight to their iPhones?

That was said tongue-in-cheek, but my (limited) experience is that the Android folks seem more willing to "get" the WP8 (MUI) interface. And you're 100% right on Nokia "betting the farm" on WP8 - and that'd worry me, if Microsoft lose interest then Nokia is dead.

Nokia need to do some real promotions because my feeling is that there's some pretty decent gear at the low and mid end. If they can deliver something that can seriously challenge the S4 and HTC One then hopefully they'd get the success they probably deserve. And as to the tile interface, I actually find it (leaning over someone elses shoulder) pretty intuitive and rapid.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Off the top of my head one was a young girl upgrading from a Blackberry. One was an older guy, 2 young girls together and 2 guys together. I realise that equals 6 but I wasn't that involved. Young girl said she wanted an iPhone but she'd break it. I was only having a play and I left...

Over the last 3 or so months though I've been asked to recommend phones to people and 90% have ended up with a Samsung after going into the shops. An iPhone and a HTC 8S complete the picture and both have said they wished they went for something different. The 8S for example makes appalling phone calls when on loudspeaker as the loudspeaker cuts out the internal mics meaning it's impossible to hear somebody. That's a hardware issue as it turns out and the person is getting nowhere, although now the battery is carp too and it appears that he *might* have more luck with that. The 4S is the 3rd they've had with a battery fault and a screen break down though I know little about it. It has also eat the persons contacts already. One Samsung GS3 has failed under warranty and was swapped at the shop immediately. The sales people at the shops involved have been almost unanimous in recommending people stay away from Nokia for a multitude of reasons, most recommend Samsung followed by HTC and then Apple. It's this that Nokia need to address, though how they will is the biggest issue - not hardware, design or anything else. If the actual sales people have no faith in the company, how the hell are they going to sell product? In my experience, because I already have Android I'm encouraged to trade to another Android handset so I'm not including my talks in this, the females *seem* to be offered iPhones as they're the easiest to get to grips with. Blokes is kinda split, but a lot were offered S3's. Not a real survey just a quick observation.
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thread Information