Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,790
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,863 times in 636 posts

    News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

    Aimed at thin and light laptops or tablet users with bumper storage demands.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Super Nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    105 times in 72 posts

    Re: News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

    I'd expect you to be able to shake a tablet (with hard drive) on stage without causing buffering of the video... most media players will buffer a decent while ahead to prevent exactly that... Unless they consistently shook it for several minutes count me unimpressed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    16 times in 11 posts
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi Z77A GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7
      • Memory:
      • 16gig
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500gig SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1070SC
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster 750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 28" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 300mb

    Re: News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    I'd expect you to be able to shake a tablet (with hard drive) on stage without causing buffering of the video... most media players will buffer a decent while ahead to prevent exactly that... Unless they consistently shook it for several minutes count me unimpressed.
    Ditto and its probably a couple of days later when the heads finally crash you will see the damage that was actually done

  4. #4
    Admin team peterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    19,315
    Thanks
    2,872
    Thanked
    3,376 times in 2,674 posts
    • peterb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Nascom 2
      • CPU:
      • Z80B
      • Memory:
      • 48K 8 bit memory on separate card
      • Storage:
      • Audio cassette tape - home built 5.25" floppy drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • text output (composite video)
      • PSU:
      • Home built
      • Case:
      • Home built
      • Operating System:
      • Nas-sys
      • Monitor(s):
      • 12" monocrome composite video input
      • Internet:
      • No networking capability on this machine

    Re: News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

    Pretty impressive manufacturing - it will be interesting to see the prices when/if they come widely available to other than OEMs.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

  5. #5
    . bledd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,883
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    134 times in 84 posts

    Re: News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

    All laptops should be using SSD, moving them around during operation isn't good for a mechanical hard drive.

  6. #6
    Poor graduate. Ulti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    702
    Thanked
    222 times in 191 posts
    • Ulti's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock B450M Pro4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Delta 32GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO+ 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX 1070 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SilverStone SX500-LG V2.0
      • Case:
      • Jonsbo UMX3 TG Version
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC Agon AG322QC4 31.5"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre Extra 80/20

    Re: News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

    Quote Originally Posted by bledd View Post
    All laptops should be using SSD, moving them around during operation isn't good for a mechanical hard drive.
    Alternatively, seeing as SSDs are thin in the first place, you could probably place an SSD and a 5mm HDD in a lot more laptops or tablets now without using up too much space so that the OS and programs goes on the SSD with larger files on the HDD. Most of the time I don't think people are walking/jumping/swinging a laptop/tablet around when they're accessing larger files. That way you can have lots of storage without comprising on having only either a SSD or HDD and not being able to move the laptop/tablet whilst it's in operation. Of course, we'll have to see how much these cost first though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    444
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    16 times in 11 posts
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi Z77A GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7
      • Memory:
      • 16gig
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500gig SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1070SC
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster 750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 28" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 300mb

    Re: News - Seagate shows off its 5mm Laptop Ultrathin HDDs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ulti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bledd View Post
    All laptops should be using SSD, moving them around during operation isn't good for a mechanical hard drive.
    Alternatively, seeing as SSDs are thin in the first place, you could probably place an SSD and a 5mm HDD in a lot more laptops or tablets now without using up too much space so that the OS and programs goes on the SSD with larger files on the HDD. Most of the time I don't think people are walking/jumping/swinging a laptop/tablet around when they're accessing larger files. That way you can have lots of storage without comprising on having only either a SSD or HDD and not being able to move the laptop/tablet whilst it's in operation. Of course, we'll have to see how much these cost first though.
    Wish I'd a pound for the number of times I've been told I don't know what happened" when you can see the evidence of the impact lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •