Thread: News - Foursquare, Flipboard and more apps coming to Windows 8

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Foursquare, Flipboard and more apps coming to Windows 8

A new Facebook app, Rhapsody and several Disney games are on the way too.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Foursquare, Flipboard and more apps coming to Windows 8

I personally think there is no real reason to upgrade to Windows 8 on desktop pcs. If you have a touchscreen or maybe a laptop I would consider it as its UI is designed for that and does have some performance increases, but it changes the quintessential thing about Windows. Windows 7 is personally my favourite operating system and is perfectly capable of doing everything. Yes, Windows 8.1 gives back some old stuff like the start button, but why upgrade if you want the OS to be the same as the old one? I just hope the price stays low for the OS and Microsoft does not do anything to make Windows 8 a mandatory thing like making DirectX 12 only on Windows 8 or stop producing software supported for Win7.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • hoggson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 870A-G54
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Ed.
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Hyper-X DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 3TB SATA III HDD's (1x1TB OS & 1x 2TB Media)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R7950 Black Ed.
      • PSU:
      • Antec High Current Pro 850W (Thank you Hexus!)
      • Case:
      • Antec P280 White Window (Thank you Hexus!)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Bush A626
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited BB (DOWN: 12286kbps UP: 1117kbps)

Quote Originally Posted by RussiaForever View Post
    I personally think there is no real reason to upgrade to Windows 8 on desktop pcs. If you have a touchscreen or maybe a laptop I would consider it as its UI is designed for that and does have some performance increases, but it changes the quintessential thing about Windows. Windows 7 is personally my favourite operating system and is perfectly capable of doing everything. Yes, Windows 8.1 gives back some old stuff like the start button, but why upgrade if you want the OS to be the same as the old one? I just hope the price stays low for the OS and Microsoft does not do anything to make Windows 8 a mandatory thing like making DirectX 12 only on Windows 8 or stop producing software supported for Win7.
    I though DX12 was XBox One and Windows 8? I may be wrong but I don't think Windows 7 is getting DX12 (I may be wrong here) but a lot of people on the net agree with this. People need to just face it... Microsoft have changed the start menu forever. This one change seems to make people ignore the MANY improvements in Win8. I was a sceptic, but then MS send me an offer of Windows 8 Pro & Media Center for £14.99... couldn't really say no to that! Now I have used it properly and taken a good look through it I would never go back. For games? Windows 8... I get a very slightly higher FPS than Windows 7. USB3 works out-the-box... the list goes on. I advise people to try something properly before advising others on what OS to use.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

Quote Originally Posted by hoggson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RussiaForever View Post
    I though DX12 was XBox One and Windows 8? I may be wrong but I don't think Windows 7 is getting DX12 (I may be wrong here) but a lot of people on the net agree with this. People need to just face it... Microsoft have changed the start menu forever. This one change seems to make people ignore the MANY improvements in Win8. I was a sceptic, but then MS send me an offer of Windows 8 Pro & Media Center for £14.99... couldn't really say no to that! Now I have used it properly and taken a good look through it I would never go back. For games? Windows 8... I get a very slightly higher FPS than Windows 7. USB3 works out-the-box... the list goes on. I advise people to try something properly before advising others on what OS to use.
    I can only agree. I was sceptical as well but I must say the PC really flies. As what might be considered a "silver surfer" I would also suggest people give it a go, remember all change is not bad

Thanks

If you already have windows 7, there is really no need to upgrade to windows 8. For all the hassle and stupidity of the metro interface, along with the cost (the €15 deal is gone btw a long time) it's just not worth it, especially for business users.
    Be careful of shills telling you how great it is and how you must upgrade blah blah blah also, MS have them planted everywhere, they did it when Vista was failing miserably too.

Thread Information