Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Sky TV Xbox One bundle offer rumours are quashed

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Sky TV Xbox One bundle offer rumours are quashed

Plus details of the Xbox One used games policy is given in a new Microsoft Q&A.
    Read more.

OilSheikh

Re: News - Sky TV Xbox One bundle offer rumours are quashed

So, XBOX 1 will support Used games ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    So, XBOX 1 will support Used games ?
    To point yes, but they give tools to disallow it. Nothing changed they'll still try to charge you for game.

4. Received thanks from:

Registered+
    Thanks

I may be missing something here but I have a stack of games on Steam and Starcraft 2 WOL + HOtS and Diablo 3.

It's not as if I can "loan" those to a friend, or even sell them on.

Why are people getting upset over this??

Thanks

“Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.”

it's not a games console. It's just a privacy snitch. There's absolutely no call to disable single-player gaming capability just because it can't get online within a certain period.

This device is out of the fight before it even climbed into the ring.

7. Received thanks from:

Saracen (07-06-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks

Junk, too many backward steps from Microshoft on this one, Most of my friends are also going to give this Xbox a miss.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Quote Originally Posted by TheEdGallagher View Post
    Because if you buy a game on a disk you expect to be able to resell it. If you download it then historically you didn't, however the EU state that you should be able to.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • PmanUk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770k @ 4.95ghz!
      • Memory:
      • 4x4Gb Dominator 1833
      • Storage:
      • 2x 120Gb Cosair GT3, 1x 256gb Crucial M4, 3x WD 2Tb Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 2Gb EVGA 670 FTW
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850w HX
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D VG278H
      • Internet:
      • 24mb ADSL

Not only that but a copy of a PC game with a couple of exceptions wont cost you £45 that you pay for a console game

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    “Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.”

it's not a games console. It's just a privacy snitch. There's absolutely no call to disable single-player gaming capability just because it can't get online within a certain period.

This device is out of the fight before it even climbed into the ring.
    That.

It's an XBox None for me.

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post
    ...There's absolutely no call to disable single-player gaming capability just because it can't get online within a certain period...
    Actually there is - so it can check you're not playing a game that you already re-sold to someone else. Not saying that I'm a massive fan of the system, but they have at least thought these things throgugh logically.
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

13. Received thanks from:

crossy (07-06-2013)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I may be missing something here but I have a stack of games on Steam and Starcraft 2 WOL + HOtS and Diablo 3.

That's you. I won't use Steam because of these issues and others. And I won't buy an XBox One for the same reason .... among others.

I've bought hundreds of games over the years. Every single one I can lend, or sell, if I wish as they're on-disc.

Part of why MS say a connection is needed is "and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend”. I say, none of your damn business, MS, and I don't need ANY game or gaming console badly enough to put up with online snooping from MS, or to be prepared to only be able to play games I've bought and paid for if Steam "validate" it.

I'm not "upset" about it. I'm just not going to do it. Ever. If you are willing to do it, fine. Most people, I suspect, are. Not me.

Thanks

and if you read the EULA of these games , you are in fact renting a service allowing to enjoy the content and you don't own anything other than the physical media the content is supplied on.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CK_1985 View Post
    Actually there is - so it can check you're not playing a game that you already re-sold to someone else. Not saying that I'm a massive fan of the system, but they have at least thought these things throgugh logically.
    I don't agree.

Suppose I've got 10 games on an XBox One. If I want to sell or lend one, it has to be connected to do it, so a handshaking system could temporarily disable it locally on mine, enable it on the friends, and then lock it on mine if and only if it gets the "enabled" handshake from the remote. Otherwise, the temp lock defaults back to off. Transfer is then assured.

But, if I don't want or get the loan back for three months, I don't need to connect every day to verify that, because I can only sell. give or lend when I'm online to do it.

Besides, not everybody want to sell, give or lend games anyway. They just want to play, and in my case, play offline. My current XBox has NEVER been used for any online play. I just buy games, and play them, locally and offline.

17. Received thanks from:

CK_1985 (07-06-2013)

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Massive fail by the Xbox team here. As above, no need for such an online presence. Shame because I prefer the Xbox controllers but I won't be getting the Xbox One as it stands -whether I get the ps4 or stick with the Xbox 360 remains to be seen.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    and if you read the EULA of these games , you are in fact renting a service allowing to enjoy the content and you don't own anything other than the physical media the content is supplied on.
    I am one of the few people that does read EULAs .... and contracts, and trading T&C's. That argument has three flaws. First, none of the games I've checked say that. Second, a friend is a copyright lawyer, but he also runs a small software company. I had one of his products for a review, and his EULA was quite restrictive. So I asked him about it, pointing out that I don't get to read the EULA until after I've bought and paid for the software, so what about the "ticket" principle? Does he think that his restrictions are legally binding? His answer ... we don't know, and won't until a case goes through the courts, up to the end of any appeals process and (at that time) it had not. But, he said, it can't do any harm to bung them in. There have been a couple of famous cases about EULAs, not necessarily even about software, or about customised business software, but they've been on business to business contracts, negotiated in advance, where the buyer certainly has sight of the EULA before agreeing the contract.

And third, EULA restrictions are subject to over-riding consumer laws, so one grey area is over reasonableness. For instance, a court might (presumably would) hold a EULA as being able to prevent a buyer hacking the code, modifying it a bit and selling it as their own, and it'd be a copyright breach anyway. You don't "own" the code in that sense, just the media. But that same court might well hold that attempting to prevent a buyer from selling the goods on, as used, disc and all, is not reasonable. We won't know until such a case travels the court process. Last time I looked, none had.

Many companies, over the years, have attempted to put all sorts of restrictions into contracts, and quite a few have been thrown out as unenforceable. So, even if such a term is in a EULA, it does not necessarily mean it is enforceable. Consumer law very directly tackles that, and you'll also see clauses in most contracts pointing out that if any individual terms is held unenforceable, the rest of the contract still applies, precisely because of that possibility.

EDIT: The ticket principle derives from a very well-known consumer law case, where exclusion of liability was printed on the back of the ticket for (IIRC) a beach deck chair. But you don't get the ticket entitling you to the chair until you've already paid for it, by which time, it's too late to unilaterally impose conditions on a contract, because the contract is already formed. Thus, the exclusions don't apply .... and the council renting the chair were liable when the punter sat on it, and it collapsed underneath him. If you buy software, when do you, a consumer, get to read the EULA? After you open the sealed packet, after buying it.

20. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • Blademrk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I5
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • onboard Intel Graphics (for now)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell & 20" DELL 2005w
      • Internet:
      • 32mb/sec Sky BB

It's not the loaning aspect it's the once a day online check.

I was really looking forward to the new generation of consoles, but that has killed it for me.

I never sell my games on (I'm a bit of a collector, I've still got all my games for every system I've had going back to the ZX Spectrum).

And while I have an Internet connection, I'm also aware of how buggy it can be (a speed check shows I'm getting ~6mb/sec but video can still be choppy). My router drops frequently (I've only just swapped to BT from the post office and I still get regular disconnects with my new router so it's probably either the quality of the line or contention in my area).

The thought of not being able to play any of my XBOne games because my net connection has quit on me is enough to give pause. I mean, I used to take my console (PS1/2) on holiday with me when I had a caravan in Aberystwyth, there'd be little point in doing that with an XBOne, no internet connection = no games.

tbh, I'd prefer if they didn't allow game trading and got rid of the online check or returned to the disc check that the 360 does for installed games.

And I'd hate to think what happens if 10-20 years down the line I want to play any of those games after the authentication servers goes offline...
    Feel Free to add me to your Raptr, XFire, XBL or PSN Friend List
    My Steam Profile - Hexus Steam Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information