Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 25

Thread: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,709
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,073 times in 719 posts

    News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    These units are said to be 2.5X faster than their SATA based bretheren.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Lets hope its not going to be a big price hike per Gb. Got plenty of PCIe slots free.

  3. #3
    OilSheikh
    Guest

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    An SSD is basically RAM , right ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked
    27 times in 22 posts
    • cameronlite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Corsair Force 3 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Twin Frozr AMD 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XILENCE 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li P50r AMD Limited Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Professional 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 243W 24", HP LA2405 24", Dell 2405 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin - 30Mb

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    An SSD is basically RAM , right ?
    To the point that they're both solid state storage devices. RAM is volatile and requires power to remember data and SSDs are non volatile and requires no power to remember data.
    Currently studying: Electronic Engineering and Artificial Intelligence at the University of Southampton.

  5. Received thanks from:


  6. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    A laptop running off pcie ssd is gonna be super fast but yet very expensive.
    Wonder if it's gonna have raid.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    • minicale's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock z87m OC Formula
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 2133mhz Vengence Pro
      • Storage:
      • 120gb m500 + 500gb samsung evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Evga 1.5GB Gtx 580
      • PSU:
      • 650W 80+ Bronze Seasonic M1211
      • Case:
      • Fractal Mini R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21.5" Asus LED 5ms
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    PCI ssds cost a lot so I bet that one that fits in a laptop will cost a stupid amount.

  8. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Cost per gram

  9. #8
    Get in the van. Fraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    2,919
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked
    397 times in 231 posts
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Quote Originally Posted by minicale View Post
    PCI ssds cost a lot so I bet that one that fits in a laptop will cost a stupid amount.
    Well, the new Macbook Airs will be equipped with these. Whilst a macbook air is quite expensive, it's not stupidly so.

  10. #9
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,474
    Thanks
    1,541
    Thanked
    1,029 times in 872 posts

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    An SSD is basically RAM , right ?
    Well, no not really. Talking about current SSDs, as cameronlite says, they both store data without moving parts, but the way in which they do it is very different, and they're used for different purposes.

    There were a few early SSDs which used banks of DRAM sticks and battery backup, but they didn't really gain much market share as they were bulky, needed a constant power supply (loss would cause instant loss of the entire contents), and were unreasonably expensive in terms of cost/GB.

  11. Received thanks from:


  12. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    96
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts
    • Malphas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB and a bunch of hard drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 660
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-6B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 2232BW
      • Internet:
      • 24Mbps ADSL

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Existing PCI SSD's cost a lot because they're almost all enterprise class products with SLC NAND and high capacities. There's no technical reason why an SSD should cost more just because it uses a PCIe interface instead of a SATA one with all other things being equal.

  13. #11
    Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanks
    630
    Thanked
    965 times in 816 posts
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Quote Originally Posted by Malphas View Post
    Existing PCI SSD's cost a lot because they're almost all enterprise class products with SLC NAND and high capacities. There's no technical reason why an SSD should cost more just because it uses a PCIe interface instead of a SATA one with all other things being equal.
    Absolutely.

    Full sized PCIe SSDs are were originally a large RAID card with multiple SATA SSDs mounted on them. Hence the massive cost. I'm sure some of the newer ones will be far more integrated, they will use some form of RAID across multiple banks of NAND and multiple controller chips, but they might skip the controller -> SATA interface -> SATA RAID -> PCIe path and go with controller -> RAIDish controller -> PCIe

    This Samsung SSD is simple MLC NAND -> controller -> PCIe. No reason for it to be any more expensive than an equivalent standard 2.5" SSD. Possible it could be cheaper because there looks to be physically less to it (no case to fit) but might be a bit more expensive due to them not making nearly as many of them.

  14. #12
    Senior Member watercooled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,474
    Thanks
    1,541
    Thanked
    1,029 times in 872 posts

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    AFAIK we'd need some standardisation before that could happen, as there are problems with compatibility when it comes to PCIe storage, especially booting from them. As you say, current drives tend to use some sort of SATA interface, whether it's discrete, emulated, or otherwise.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    434
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked
    15 times in 14 posts

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    The M.2 standard seems to be better in pretty much every way than mSATA yet is still very rare. It really needs to take off fast as it's got key advantages in speed and size and yet seems to be fighting a losing battle with mSATA.

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife (Scotland)
    Posts
    4,991
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    220 times in 190 posts
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    This Samsung SSD is simple MLC NAND -> controller -> PCIe. No reason for it to be any more expensive than an equivalent standard 2.5" SSD. Possible it could be cheaper because there looks to be physically less to it (no case to fit) but might be a bit more expensive due to them not making nearly as many of them.
    They're not making M2's at the moment but that can change pretty rapidly. Apple's already a customer, as are Samsung's own kit (reputedly). So how long before the big three of Dell, HP and Leonovo want to get in on the act? And I don't think it'd take much imagination to figure out the volume demand that this illustrious trio could generate!

    I remember the original SSD's as being posit'd "for laptops only - because they need the resiliance", so I can't see any reason why the same move-to-the-desktop can't happen here.

    Bung your OS and apps on a RAID1+0 array of four of these? (although with something THAT fast, would the 'raid1' part offer any advantages?)

    Of course, Samsung aren't the only game in town, M500 M.2 SSD – The Secret is Out
    Last edited by crossy; 18-06-2013 at 11:28 AM.

    Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

  17. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wonderful Warwick!
    Posts
    3,919
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    183 times in 153 posts

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    No reason why M2 can't be used in a desktop at all. M-Itx will bring these to market first in my opinion, followed by "normal" form factors
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

  18. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    510
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked
    45 times in 34 posts
    • Roobubba's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55 GD60
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 860 @ 3.58GHz (Megahalems + Apache)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Patriot Viper DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 80GB Intel X25-M + bunch of HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5870 + Earplugs.
      • PSU:
      • TAGAN 800W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1110 (bit disappointing)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" LCD (TN)
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MBit

    Re: News - Samsung making PCIe based SSDs for Ultrabook designs

    Well much as I hate Apple, the upcoming Mac Pro will be using PCI-E SSD storage, I presume it's Samsung-made like these that they are using in macbook pros and ultrabooks... Hopefully this trend will continue, as the speed benefits are obvious, as are the less well-documented benefits of not using a SATA plug: one of the most unreliable connectors known to mankind!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •