Thread: News - Google is working on Android gaming system and smartwatch

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google is working on Android gaming system and smartwatch

So says a new report by the Wall Street Journal.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - Google is working on Android gaming system and smartwatch

Google hopes to “combat similar devices” from Apple with its upcoming games console and smartwatch
    Way to go Google ... don't innovate, emulate!
    Anyone out there desperate to get a Google games console?

Reducing Android's footprint (to suit developing countries smaller phones) would be a good move, since there's a lot of comment that I've seen that Android on a phone with 512MB or less isn't a pleasant experience. And that's particularly desirable since Windows Phone seems to be able to deliver a better "experience" on lower spec'd handsets.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

@Crossy - Biggest problem with windows phone though is that there's nothing on it, the app store is rubbish.
    It's gui design is also terrible and any advanced settings to try and fix things are seriously lacking. Gone too far at this stage, windows phone is dead.

Android is where it's at but the Nexus Q looks rubbish.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by nacasatu View Post
    @Crossy - Biggest problem with windows phone though is that there's nothing on it, the app store is rubbish.
    There's little on the Windows store ... at the moment. But if the reports are to be believed then Microsoft is throwing a lot of money at developers to get their products in. And to repeat something said in defence of the Play store (v's iTunes App Store), it's not necessarily quantity, but quality that can count. After all, there is a lot of dross in both of the two competing app stores - e.g. themes and trivial stuff such as sound effect apps
    Quote Originally Posted by nacasatu View Post
    It's gui design is also terrible and any advanced settings to try and fix things are seriously lacking. Gone too far at this stage, windows phone is dead.
    No, disagree utterly. The GUI design is different but in some respects (live tiles) it's better than both of the competing offerings (Blackberry, Tizen, FirefoxOS, UbuntuPhone don't count in my book - this is a three horse race - Android, iOS and WindowsPhone).
    I'll stand by what I said previously - my daughters HTC 8S can deliver just as smooth an "experience" as my (more powerful) Galaxy S3. On the other hand look at the reviews of "lower end" Android phones and you'll see a consistent complaint that the UI's chosen stutter or lag when the going gets tough.

And are you SERIOUSLY saying that you wouldn't like to see Android use a little less of the resources available on your phone?

Getting back to the article personally I see no great impetus for a Google Console, as others like Ouya are doing that quite well already (although in my book it's SteamBox FTW). And a smartwatch - that's the epitome of a "me too" product.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Another Console? Holy Jeebus, as a gamer this is getting me frutrated. Yes there are alot of varieties to choose from but i dont got the MONEY!!!!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Smartwatch? Personally I see little appeal, and I am NOT buying any product that I carry around everywhere with me that is Android/Google based. So, no to Google Glass and no to a Google Smartwatch.

As for a games console, it'd have to be. LOT more attractive an offering than others to get me interested if it comes from Google, and if it wants an always-on net connection, it's a dodo from the get-go for me.

So for me, my interest in all this is somewhere between minuscule and zero. At best.

Thread Information