Thread: News - Intel SSD 530 Series touts strong performance gains

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Intel SSD 530 Series touts strong performance gains

Available in M.2, mSATA and 2.5-inch form factors with very low idle power requirements.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Intel SSD 530 Series touts strong performance gains

they should stop bumping SSDs as gaming technology.

Thanks

The SSD 530 series drives use the latest 20nm NAND technology backed by Intel's reputation for quality and reliability
    The Intel 520 was bugged from launch with it's 256bit AES hardware encryption. They offered a refund to anyone that wanted one because it couldn't be fixed.

And that's the less serious issue. The drives still have serious BSOD issues that Intel can't fix. Just Google "Intel 520 BSOD" and read their own forums.

Intel have had numerous driver issues, chipset recalls, SSD refund programs, and have been caught fiddling recent benchmarks.

Can we please stop this "quality and reliability" line that people harp when Intel is mentioned. That company died years ago.

edit - and let's not forget Sandy Bridge-E shipping with VT-d simply *broken* in the C1 stepping. Chips that are purely aimed at the high end market.
    Last edited by Agent; 29-07-2013 at 07:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    The Intel 520 was bugged from launch with it's 256bit AES hardware encryption. They offered a refund to anyone that wanted one because it couldn't be fixed.

And that's the less serious issue. The drives still have serious BSOD issues that Intel can't fix. Just Google "Intel 520 BSOD" and read their own forums.

Intel have had numerous driver issues, chipset recalls, SSD refund programs, and have been caught fiddling recent benchmarks.

Can we please stop this "quality and reliability" line that people harp when Intel is mentioned. That company died years ago.
    See also: shoddy Linux wireless drivers, even though the meme that Intel knows best continues.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

There's a couple of folks on Hexus who also trot out that "Intel is best" line, although I was under the distinct impression that their "professional" (i.e. business/enterprise) SSD's were pretty solid performers - is this wrong?

That said, I'd assumed (wrongly?) that most folks seem to stick with other brands of SSD was purely down to price sensitivity. Maybe I need to review that assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardware_Elite View Post
    they should stop bumping SSDs as gaming technology.
    Why? The assumption is that - like Apple fans - hardcore PC gamers have deep pockets when it comes to hardware and only want "the best". In which case it's surely natural to position a comparatively expensive (on £/MB terms) SSD as a performance item which will let you load those CoD/MoH/C&C levels just that bit faster. Heck, I've seen comments from folks on here that spending £800+ on the graphics subsystem (be that Crossfire, SLi, or some humongous single beast like a GTX Titan) is "reasonable".

I'm sure there's one or two that I remember using striped RAID arrays of SSD's because a single SSD wasn't fast enough.

But if you look at the article you'll see that Intel seem to be positioning this piece of kit at the portable market first and foremost - so that's ultrabooks and laptops - with desktops bringing up the rear. That makes a good deal of sense to me, given the SSD's increased physical resilience and also much reduced power drain. On a purely personal level, the place where replacing HDD's with SSD's has seen the biggest gains has been in the house laptops, the desktops it's merely a nice to have. Although a Samsung 840EVO for the gaming PC's app's partition looks like a nice present to myself.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Today is Tuesday
    Thanks

Dont know how reliable Intel are, but I know their 320 series SSD did look better than most, though Ive found the Crucial drives excellent in my experience with 5 of them.

One question:
    How come the power usage of the drive changes with size? Surely that doesnt make sense...!!!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

edit - and let's not forget Sandy Bridge-E shipping with VT-d simply *broken* in the C1 stepping. Chips that are purely aimed at the high end market.
    Did that company ever exist?

Creators of the i432, generally recognised as the worst processor ever designed in the history of computing.
    ISTR early 386 parts were discovered to have a 32x32 multiply instruction that didn't work at some temperatures. I think their justification for not doing a recall was that it was a new instruction, so no-one was using it yet.
    For years Intel shipped processors with fundamental coherency problems in multi socket configurations, which I think they only fixed in the P4?

Registered+
    Thanks

ouch bias against intel here! cmon say Samsung are the best !

they are very good drives. and they did push for the gaming with the 520 series.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by saunders View Post

they are very good drives. and they did push for the gaming with the 520 series.
    I have been fighting poorly thought out Intel silicon for decades, from back in the 8 bit days until present. I guess seeing unearned praise for them rubs me up the wrong way.

The phrase "The SSD 530 series drives use the latest 20nm NAND technology backed by Intel's reputation for quality and reliability." did rub me up the wrong way. I guess Hexus are just pasting parts of the press release here, there really isn't any technical info just marketing bumpf. Their drives have a reputation for suddenly deciding they can only store 8 megabytes, so if that is the reputation backing these drives count me out.

You are spot on that my recent SSD purchase was Samsung though. They control their entire ecosystem: controller, flash chips and assembly. That helps a lot for quality control.
    Intel should be able to do the same, yet last time they used Sandforce controllers with custom firmware. What controllers do these use? How many bits per cell exactly is the multibit flash? What is the endurance? What sort of data redundancy do they employ?

Intel did a good job with PCI though, and USB. Just a shame their processors went downhill after the 8085.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by saunders View Post
    I'm not going to say "Samsung is best" because that's just fanboydom. Yes, Samsung have some pretty good looking SSD's available at the moment, but then again so do Crucial, Sandisk, OCZ et al. Speaking of OCZ, I've not been bitten (yet?) by the poor reliability that reputedly stalks the OCZ Vertex 2E's like the Grim Reaper on rollerskates. Mine's been my boot drive for nearly two years without a single problem. (Just hope I've not just jinxed it by saying that)
    I'll argue that OCZ did more to push the cause of SSDs for gaming that Intel have. Intel gear seems to have been (to me at least) on the "premium" end of the market so it's needed pile-em-high-and-sell-em-cheap merchants like OCZ to push for widespread adoption.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The phrase "The SSD 530 series drives use the latest 20nm NAND technology backed by Intel's reputation for quality and reliability." did rub me up the wrong way. I guess Hexus are just pasting parts of the press release here, there really isn't any technical info just marketing bumpf.
    According to Hexus' recent review of the Samsung 840 EVO, they (Samsung) use 19nm NAND, so surely that 1nm smaller will make a massive difference?!
    You are spot on that my recent SSD purchase was Samsung though. They control their entire ecosystem: controller, flash chips and assembly. That helps a lot for quality control.
    I'm with you on that - to a point. 100% in-house is ideal, but I'd prefer a rock-stable 3rd party part to one that of unproven reliability, but in-house. What I particularly like about Samsung is that they're not making the assumption that the data is compressible (like the SF controllers do), so while their headline figures might not be in the top 5, at least you can be sure that performance will be relatively constant. At the time I bought the 830's for the laptops here, I remember reading something that made that MCX controller they use sound quite good too - but for the life of me I can't remember what it was now.
    Intel should be able to do the same, yet last time they used Sandforce controllers with custom firmware. What controllers do these use? How many bits per cell exactly is the multibit flash? What is the endurance? What sort of data redundancy do they employ?
    According to the bumf I've seen on the net, the 530's are merely the 520's with the NAND replaced with 20nm. So controller is Sandforce 2281. As to the rest, is there anything on Intel's own site? Just had a quick look and endurance is quoted as 1.2Mhours MTBF.
    Last edited by crossy; 31-07-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Sand4orce. Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough.

Intel - No
    OCZ - No
    Corsair - No
    Sandisk - No
    Kingston - No
    Adata - No

Error Error... Irresistible

Error Error... Irresistible

What it is don't come in a bottle

The drug the software and disease

Thread Information