Thread: News - Roundup of iPhone 5S rumours inc. the dual-flash and A7 chip

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Roundup of iPhone 5S rumours inc. the dual-flash and A7 chip

Also the Apple iPhone 5 ranks as slowest flagship smartphone in a new Which? survey.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Roundup of iPhone 5S rumours inc. the dual-flash and A7 chip

JUST ANNOUNCED - New feature: Paint that doesnt scratch off from your "Premium" iPhone !

3. Received thanks from:

DavidM (25-06-2013)

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Wont be July for release. Earliest I am thinking is September, or may co-incide with the release of iOS7 in 'fall'.

Thanks

It's about time Apple screwed over somebody else for CPU production....expect price rises for graphics cards shortly!
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Other smartphones in the Which? tests, which assessed seven phones in total, were the HTC One, Sony Xperia Z, Google Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and BlackBerry Z10
    Strange selection - where are the Windows Phone devices? If I was running this test then I think I would have been tempted to swap out the Xperia for a Lumia 920/925 and the Note 2 for the HTC 8S.

I've been looking for a new smartphone for el missus and was tempted towards the iPhone5, but to be honest the high prices now have me thinking that Windows Phone might be a better option. Madam's requirements are two-fold: simple to use and very long battery life - especially on standby.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Long battery life on standby? That's going to be your sticking point as NO smartphone I can think of quickly has what I'd call a LONG standby battery time. Windows phone seems to be the quickest for doing things like texting etc. to me, but my S3 is quicker at photo processing than an iPhone 5 from my rough tests like instragram

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Strange selection - where are the Windows Phone devices? If I was running this test then I think I would have been tempted to swap out the Xperia for a Lumia 920/925 and the Note 2 for the HTC 8S.
    I'd like to have seen the Lumia 920/925 additionally included rather than swapped in, the 8S maybe included. Also shame not to see the S3 or Galaxy Nexus included as a point of comparison with newer platforms.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

It is interesting people mention that consumers are being swayed more and more by the camera of the phone, yet no mention of Nokia in this space.

If the roumers are true of the 42 megapixel pureview sensor in a fortnight, I wonder if they will still not take any note.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It is interesting people mention that consumers are being swayed more and more by the camera of the phone, yet no mention of Nokia in this space.

If the roumers are true of the 42 megapixel pureview sensor in a fortnight, I wonder if they will still not take any note.
    Improvements on camera's on phones will be the next selling point for the next 24 months. Nokia and Samsung have both new high end phones with powerful camera lenses due soon.

CPU's / GPU's Ram, storage etc etc has all reached its peak in the stakes of making the better phone. The hardware is ahead of the software, only bench marks tell the difference..

Thanks
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 12GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Kingston 500GB SSD + NAS etc
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 430W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 31.5-inch VA QHD monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin fibre

Lots more iPhone 5S components have shown up on Slashgear

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Long battery life on standby? That's going to be your sticking point as NO smartphone I can think of quickly has what I'd call a LONG standby battery time. Windows phone seems to be the quickest for doing things like texting etc. to me, but my S3 is quicker at photo processing than an iPhone 5 from my rough tests like instragram
    Darn. I can't see her being much impressed if she's got to charge every other day even if the phone's stuck in a drawer. That said, I would have thought 3-4 days on "standby" would have been achievable. Heck, my old Xperia X10 could manage three and a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It is interesting people mention that consumers are being swayed more and more by the camera of the phone, yet no mention of Nokia in this space. If the rumours are true of the 42 megapixel pureview sensor in a fortnight, I wonder if they will still not take any note.
    More and more people are using their mobiles (and large tablets ffs) to replace cheap digital cameras, and given that everything else on the leading smartphones is pretty similar, I think you're correct in that camera capabilities are the next battleground. The Samsung S4 Zoom is too "camera" for me - I think that something akin to one of the camera with internal zoom optics would be preferable to most people. Although to do that folks are going to have accept either pathetic battery life or something a lot thicker than the "After Eight mint thickness" form factor that the manufacturers seem to favour.

I think there's still some "mindshare" that Nokia need to win in that people still don't think of Nokia as having modern smartphones. This probably being because they stuck with Symbian for too darned long. To me though, each generation of Nokia device is getting better than the last - so much so that I'm seriously considering ditching Android for my S3 replacement - despite being a "loyalist".

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Darn. I can't see her being much impressed if she's got to charge every other day even if the phone's stuck in a drawer. That said, I would have thought 3-4 days on "standby" would have been achievable. Heck, my old Xperia X10 could manage three and a bit.
    My work issued Samsung Galaxy Ace+ can do 5+ days sat at home. It's always got a perfect signal thanks to the Vodafone Sure Signal box, Wifi is off and power saver is on. It gets very little use. I could probably stretch it a bit more by tuning off the "push email" from out Exchange server as I have that account on my OneX as well (much better phone and software than the Samsung) so only need it if work call or text me.

Thanks

If it's stuck in a drawer maybe - but I know people who have Ace's etc. and they get 2 days tops with taking them out and about with them. The constant searching for signal and whatever soon brings the life down. However if it's in a drawer at home I really see little point in getting her a smartphone, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Ace != Ace Plus. Also, it depends on how much it's used, settings, signal, etc. Constantly waking the phone to check for messages etc will use some power, as will a phone trying to get a lock on a decent signal - locking it to 2G only for example might help. The screen of a modern smartphone is often the largest load, especially if it's bright outside so it maxes the backlight to compensate.

A smartphone shouldn't really be much less efficient than a basic phone at doing 'nothing' because of power gating etc, and smartphones generally have larger batteries anyway. Also, people tend to actually *use* smartphones a lot more than basic phones, but that's frequently ignored when comparing battery life to their 3310 which had a basic, always-on, dot-matrix display, drawing on the order of microamps.

The craze for thinness, and demand for battery life, are incompatible. Unfortunately, there's still a demand for form over function. Maybe we'll see some more MFRs (like Motorola) offer 'maxi' versions of phones for people who don't care about an extra bit of depth in exchange for vastly improved battery life? It would be another way to differentiate from competitors at least! That ZeroLemon battery for the S4 is a decent idea too, but it would be nice if the phone MFR released such things.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    It's about time Apple screwed over somebody else for CPU production....expect price rises for graphics cards shortly!
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, a competitive market like fabbing tends to self-regulate around such problems fairly quickly. If TSMC really don't have enough capacity because of Apple, and end up screwing over their long-standing existing customers (which they claim to avoid doing), with significantly increased prices for example, AMD and Nvidia can always ditch them for a competitor. If Apple really did move everything from Samsung, they'd have spare capacity for other customers.

However, aside from echoed hype, the the story doesn't seem nearly as dramatic. From what I've read, TSMC rebuffed Apple's attempts to reserve a large amount of their capacity, and agreed to a slow ramp of 20nm parts i.e. some remaining with Samsung. And Samsung apparently won another contract for 14nm.

TSMC can't just magic up capacity at short notice, and giving priority to a new, volatile customer is a risky business.

Oh and there are also rumours about Apple considering GloFo.
    Last edited by watercooled; 20-08-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Thread Information