Thread: News - Ofcom to make phone/broadband provider switching easier

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Ofcom to make phone/broadband provider switching easier

Process will switch from a 'losing provider led' to 'gaining provider led' approach.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Ofcom to make phone/broadband provider switching easier

Not convinced about the switch to 'new provider led', personally. I'd rather the company I'm with have control over that, provided there are effective penalties for obstructionism, rather than it being initiated by someone with a vested interest to initiate it.

I can't claim to be a rate or deal tart, switching whenever the weather chanfes, but when I have, there's been no problem .... other than Sky being unable to provide what they promised, when they promised it.

I have a simple solution to "no service", which is that I, me, myself, cancel the old service once and only once the new one is up. Yes, that means I pay for overlap, and perhaps for an installation fee (though I've so far always negotiated that away). But I'd rather pay a month in overlap than even risk being without if something goes wrong.

And yes, it means changing phone number, but for me, that's not much of a nuisance seeing as I'm VERY selective who gets it in the first place. And getting a 'clean' new number is part of my conditions for switching. That sometimes takes some arguing, but it's not failed yet.

Basically, I want control over switching in MY hands, not either the new or old company, and while anti-'slamming' measures should, in theory, prevent that, I have doubts that they actually will, and I DO NOT want the hassle if by some "accident", "mistake" or "system error" it happens anyway.

Being a cynic, I'm far happier to trust the company that stands to lose money not to make such a mistake than I am to trust the comoany that stands to gain from it not to.

Nor, using my method, is the old company being obstructionist ever an issue, seeing as I make my change arrangements, get it in and working, then ring the old company and cancel, and follow up immediately with a recorded delivery cancellation, and then cancel any direct debit, etc. They can then be as awkward as they like, as I'm already gone.

And yes, in case anyone wonders, I go through 'retentions' first, before committing to the new stuff, IF the cost is the issue. Last time, it emphatically wasn't. It was the utter, rank incompetence of NTL admin. By the time I order the new service, I'm not staying no matter what retensions offer.

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

I can't see this being abused at all.

I remember when I moved in to my current place (rented) and the energy provider had been switched without our consent. Was a complete ballache to switch back to the provider we wanted in the first place and took months. To make matters worse they had switched the gas in our property and the electricity of the separate basement flat below us. Was an utter nightmare to sort out.

So yeah, if you don't mind, I'd rather be in control myself. Cheers Ofcom for taking that choice away from us in the name of making things 'easier'.

Thanks

I hope this is an option to choose when registering with the company. As this can be very crazy if idiots mistakenly change to different suppliers without realising it

Registered+
    Thanks

Finally. Cant remember how many countless people have came to me to help them switch. The process does my head in!

Thread Information