Thread: News - As Vodafone and O2 switch on 4G, Three announces its 4G timetable

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - As Vodafone and O2 switch on 4G, Three announces its 4G timetable

Three confirms it will be the only UK mobile network with an unlimited 4G data tariff.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - As Vodafone and O2 switch on 4G, Three announces its 4G timetable

If what's in the article is the full story, then I've got to say that Three looks like the only one of the operators that's actually understood the desire for 4G properly. For me (and others I'm pretty sure) it's about being able to use YOUR services when and where you want. So what's needed is universal coverage and high (preferably no) limits on usage.

Voda's 2GB cap seems just reasonable - given how miserly they usually are with data allowances. O2's 1GB cap is just a joke. And I'm very sure that "leveraged" services and 2G style "unlimited calls and texts" aren't a big selling point to a lot of folks.

I'm on T-Mobile myself, (moved from Three because their service sucked), and I've noticed that in the last two months (i.e. around the time of the push for 4G!) that my data-speeds/signal-strength have dropped dramatically. For example, at home I used to be able to get a nice strong (50-75%) H+, now I get 100% signal but only at G speeds. Coincidence?

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I wonder if those partnership services will be exempt from the data caps? 2GB isn't a lot for video streaming, especially if it's being advertised as a feature.

Glad 3 kept to their promise about this. It's inevitably the way all the networks will end up eventually, it's not like we still have 2G/3G contracts, and 500MB data allowances for EE's introductory prices are just laughable. 2GB isn't too bad, but still doesn't seem great value against 3's offerings, even without the seamless LTE upgrade.

Now that 4G is rolling out with some competition, it will be interesting to see how it performs on the different networks, e.g. 3 with their 'unlimited' plan vs capped tariffs.

Thanks

Three are definately going to pick up a lot of customers when they roll out.

I'm on EE/Orange's panther plan currently and their services are all exempt from your normal data use so I imagine others are the same. 2GB/1GB data caps seem very restrictive for 4G when they push streaming video so much.

If they exempted services like youtube/netflix etc from your data use then it'd make more sense for most people I imagine.

Thanks
    • Boon72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-8500 @ 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 960 256gb NVMe, 2 x Toshiba 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1060 AMP 6GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 500w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake F31 Suppressor
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama Black Hawk 27"
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Max Fibre

i'd be happy with a 3G phone signal for calls & texts, i'm currently leaving EE ( 13 months early) due to getting no signal at all, i'm moving to Vodafone who have a good signal where i need it but 4G with limits? what's the point and from £26 sim only, both O2 & Vodafone need to look at their customers needs and not their pockets otherwise 4G could come & go without much happening.

AlexKitch

I really don't understand the fuss.

I'm still absolutely staggered at the speed of 3G in good areas. I can download stuff to my phone in minutes that would've taken my home broadband an hour not so many years ago. I can't honestly say I've ever sat and thought "Gee, I wish 3G were faster than this."

*Shrug*.

Thanks
    • Infinite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD80
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Agility 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460 SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 650W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ09B-W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • Infinity

http://store.three.co.uk/view/search...an=PAY_MONTHLY

12 month contract at £15 per month. With possible £63 cash back is equivalent to £9.75 per month

Unlimited data, 2000 mins, 5000 texts, 5000 3to3 minutes and texts, free international roam in 7 countries and no additional cost for 4G. Three seems like the best value out of everyone.

My £21.50 per month with O2 for 500mb, 300 minutes and 500 texts is a joke. Tempted to move now but my contract doesn't end until December.

Thanks

That's it though, 'in good areas'. It's not all about headline speeds; LTE should offer performance over longer ranges, lower latency, handle congestion better, etc. 3G is also generally good for me where I live, but in some busy places down in London e.g. Euston station I've found performance, even with a strong signal, to be far worse than with even an average 2G signal, due to congestion.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKitch View Post
    I really don't understand the fuss.I'm still absolutely staggered at the speed of 3G in good areas. I can download stuff to my phone in minutes that would've taken my home broadband an hour not so many years ago. I can't honestly say I've ever sat and thought "Gee, I wish 3G were faster than this."
    You put your finger right on it ... in good areas 3G is great. Two of the promises that I'd seen for 4G were that it'd be more widely available (eventually) than 3G, and that it'd also be more consistent - none of this "move two steps to the right and your signal disappears" nonsense that afflicts 3G. The increased speed - that everyone seems to focus on exclusively - is only a side benefit as far as I'm concerned. As you say, at 100% signal, 3G is fast enough for all but HD video streaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
    Unlimited data, 2000 mins, 5000 texts, 5000 3to3 minutes and texts, free international roam in 7 countries and no additional cost for 4G. Three seems like the best value out of everyone.
    Three's always had the best deals for the data hungry mobile traveller, and I'll add that they also seem to be better at delivering their "headline" speeds too. Problems with them though are poor coverage, (which hopefully 4G rollout will address), and dire customer service - with a comment being made on their blog that "Three" just about summed up the IQ of the typical service agent. I moved to T-Mobile for better coverage, but get less data for my money, and slower speeds. On the other hand, being able to use my smartphone as a phone pretty much everywhere is not to be sniffed at.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Big, Mean and Ugly! circuitmonkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    • circuitmonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8H61-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i3 2100T
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Caviar Balck + 1TB Samsung EcoGreen F2 + 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX430M
      • Case:
      • NZXT M59
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Vista business (64 bit), XP Pro (32bit), Ubuntu (64 bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" FHD + 2X 19"1280 x 1024
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre broadband

Well I bought a 4G ready xperia Z with the promise that I would be good to go on launch day, I live in a 4G area but could I get on Vodaphones 4G network...?
    Like hell, apparently the mast in my area is 'under going maintainence'

Thanks
    • simonpreston's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X370 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • A lot.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon RX580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Zalman MS1000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 20.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2412m
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    If what's in the article is the full story, then I've got to say that Three looks like the only one of the operators that's actually understood the desire for 4G properly. For me (and others I'm pretty sure) it's about being able to use YOUR services when and where you want. So what's needed is universal coverage and high (preferably no) limits on usage.
    It seems Three aren't stupid. Calls and Texts are slowly being replaced with things like WhatsApp and VoIP, certainly in the younger generation. They have taken a back seat to data, which is now the driving force behind what customers want. I don't see how other operators can offer a 4G service yet give such pathetic limits. You wouldn't get home broadband with a 5GB limit - it'd be eaten up in a day or two.

I moved to Three from GiffGaff a couple of months ago and the service is much faster, gets a 3G signal in rural areas where GiffGaff couldn't, and I have no data limits. Not needed to use their customer service but, honestly, I have had a mobile phone now in some form for about 15 years and I've probably needed to call my operator only a handful of times, whoever they may have been.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/search...an=PAY_MONTHLY

12 month contract at £15 per month. With possible £63 cash back is equivalent to £9.75 per month

My £21.50 per month with O2 for 500mb, 300 minutes and 500 texts is a joke. Tempted to move now but my contract doesn't end until December.

£17 with 02 for 1GB , 600mins and unlimited texts - seems you got sold the wrong plan.....

Thanks

So happy with three, at least in Edinburgh, even tho I don't have 4g plan or 4g device I'm achieving 21Mb/s (that's max throughput of my phone modem) on speedtest almost everywhere around the city. Also the new roaming schema so cool! I just regret they didn't introduce it when I was actually in one of the 7 countries hehehehe.
    Any way well done three.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

Three have nailed it! About time some real competition in the 4G spectrum.

Thread Information