Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Apple sold 34 million iPhones and 14 million iPads last quarter

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Apple sold 34 million iPhones and 14 million iPads last quarter

But profits have fallen for the third quarter in a row.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - Apple sold 34 million iPhones and 14 million iPads last quarter

Can't help thinking that Apple would be a lot more successful if their "budget" iPhones really aligned with the man-in-the-street's idea of that description. Don't think I'd be happy paying for a "budget" phone that cost around the same as other manufacturer's mid, or even, high-end models.

And personally I'm hoping that a revitalised Nokia can steal a portion of their market share with some really juicy Lumia's.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Was having a discussion with an American about this yesterday - they don't feel the iDevices are overpriced and buy them because they are american! So asked my friend who works in a phone shop about the 5C and he said what's that, nobody wants them things! lol

I see the shares have taken a battering again because of this news. The golden Apple period is deffo over for now.

Off topic completely, but Crossy I've got a mate in Fife and it's a lovely place you lucky fella
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

4. Received thanks from:

crossy (31-10-2013)

Thanks

Now for the *whole* story: Samsung shipped more phones than Nokia, Apple, LG combined http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576...e-lg-combined/

Apple only has 8% of the market share. Why are they news? Nokia is owned by nearly twice as many people as Apple but they get no headlines? Biased much? And then, Samsung is owned by nearly twice as many people as Nokia. Yet these sites continue to write articles as if Apple is somehow significant and deserving of even more media hype. They are not. Hype is what's needed to sell junk at high-end prices. Everyone else's sales are based off of merit.

Thanks

I think the complete lack of posts compared to the normal Apple baiting and hyping proves they're losing their shine, especially in the UK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I think the complete lack of posts compared to the normal Apple baiting and hyping proves they're losing their shine, especially in the UK
    I've noticed this, even tech magazines are starting to rate other phones better than the iphone 5s etc and this would NEVER happen a year ago even if the other phone was better in just about every way.

Becasue the design of the phone doesn't really change for 2 years people are starting to see that Apple iPhone is actually lacking compared with newer phones. Shows like the big bang theory are in a limited way making 'geek' and 'nerd' more fashionable so people are learning about tech more so things like 2 cores versus 4 cores, 1080p screens, a stylus stand out as defining features... not to mention in the case of the nexus range a high spec with a cheap price.

Thanks

iOS 7 was a good year too late in my opinion...the line was looking jaded long before they even considered it needed changing

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

iOS 7, was the dominant Apple blatantly copying the minority Microsoft's phone. Pretty damn funny if you ask me.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I've noticed this, even tech magazines are starting to rate other phones better than the iphone 5s etc and this would NEVER happen a year ago even if the other phone was better in just about every way.

Becasue the design of the phone doesn't really change for 2 years people are starting to see that Apple iPhone is actually lacking compared with newer phones. Shows like the big bang theory are in a limited way making 'geek' and 'nerd' more fashionable so people are learning about tech more so things like 2 cores versus 4 cores, 1080p screens, a stylus stand out as defining features... not to mention in the case of the nexus range a high spec with a cheap price.
    But there's still segments of the media that seem happy to give Apple a pass whatever they do. Last time I got one of those "tech mags" (might have been T3) it was all "best smartphone=iPhone, although other devices are available". Likewise Gadget Show are pretty keen on the Apple stuff - although Jon Bentley seems to be wearing off of it.

Using Big Bang as an example is perhaps a bad thing - show's producers are being quoted as being "loyal" Apple fans. On the other hand - BBC News department excluded - there seems to be more shows defecting to other platforms. Hawaii 5-0 was pretty heavily iPhone, now it's exclusively Windows Phone and I see more US shows with the hero's having 'droid or Windows devices, leaving the iPhones for the criminals.

There's also the negative press over iOS7 - e.g. radio comedy "The Now Show" seem to do an iOS7-bash every episode. Although that doesn't come close to the Siri-roasting they did around the time of the Olympics.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    iOS 7, was the dominant Apple blatantly copying the minority Microsoft's phone. Pretty damn funny if you ask me.
    They're not the only one doing that - MUI/Metro features are creeping into Android as well. E.g. the latest Google Maps and gMail spins look VERY Metro.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I'm still really surprised by the lack of people sticking up for Macs and Apple products in general. Even some of my die hard music making mates (wow) are not being wowed with Apples policies at moment, quite a few are now using their Macs to run Windows for example...
    This thread would have been heaving with people backing Apple to the hilt just a few short months ago...

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm at the stage in my life where I prefer OS X over Windows (particularly Windows 8) and iOS over Android. I was rabidly anti-Apple for many, many years.

However, I still like to mix and match, my main rig is a Hackintosh and I also think all companies are equally detestable and are just after your money so 'tribal' loyalty to a brand is utterly pointless.

Not that anyone will give a tinker's cuss as to what I think, of course.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by pollaxe View Post
    I'm at the stage in my life where I prefer OS X over Windows (particularly Windows 8) and iOS over Android. I was rabidly anti-Apple for many, many years.
    +1. I spend all day, most days designing and fixing large IT systems. I know I could do some interesting stuff with Android, but I just can't be bothered. Apple stuff all interacts nicely, looks nice and gets the job done.

I would probably build a Hackintosh as there's more bang per buck hardware wise, but I can't be bothered with the possibility that an update might break something for a while until it's reverse engineered. It might be a couple of hundred quid more expensive to buy 'proper' stuff, but my time is more valuable.

Anyway, this is a bit of a non-story. More interesting would be how it compares against the other big encumbants, like Samsung etc.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

B0redom - I've been running a Hackintosh since Snow Leopard years. It's currently running Mavericks after a simple, smooth upgrade from Mountain Lion. I've never had any issues with things breaking and happily run it as my main machine. I'd recommend you look into it. It's far easier to do than you may think.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    But there's still segments of the media that seem happy to give Apple a pass whatever they do. Last time I got one of those "tech mags" (might have been T3) it was all "best smartphone=iPhone, although other devices are available". Likewise Gadget Show are pretty keen on the Apple stuff - although Jon Bentley seems to be wearing off of it.

Using Big Bang as an example is perhaps a bad thing - show's producers are being quoted as being "loyal" Apple fans. On the other hand - BBC News department excluded - there seems to be more shows defecting to other platforms. Hawaii 5-0 was pretty heavily iPhone, now it's exclusively Windows Phone and I see more US shows with the hero's having 'droid or Windows devices, leaving the iPhones for the criminals.

There's also the negative press over iOS7 - e.g. radio comedy "The Now Show" seem to do an iOS7-bash every episode. Although that doesn't come close to the Siri-roasting they did around the time of the Olympics.

They're not the only one doing that - MUI/Metro features are creeping into Android as well. E.g. the latest Google Maps and gMail spins look VERY Metro.
    I used big bang as a more popular tv show to reference 'geeks and nerds' rather than it being a good source of info lol

Have to say I never really noticed apple in Hawaii 5-0, might have been at the beginning like you say but can't say I remember, all the 'main tech' seemed to be based on surface (the original table version) or similar. As to MS being in more US shows, it's been on a bit of a marketing blitz of late in regards to 'metro' and the way all of it's software 'looks' the same. Personally I'd rather see windows phone than iOS everywhere.... but it would be nice to see a decent 'android' device shown once in a while...

I used to read stuff/t3 pretty much every month but the pure 'iPhone/apple' is god of tech got on my nerves, it wasn't really the magazines fault it was the main editor who when you saw him on tv (he did some 'tech' segments was pretty much drooling over apple stuff and you could tell he didn't really have a clue about tech.

The Gadget Show isn't much better... that used to be ok, but it just went downhill when it literally went into the 'Jason Bradbury show' and he is to put it bluntly an Apple fanboy, even the female eye candy couldn't keep me interested... and that's saying something.

Not to mention the news papers that have the 'iOS apps' and promote them all the time.... it's not like they couldn't do it for android too...

Yeah I know I may sound anti apple but the funny thing is I'm not anti apple, I'm anti the apple 'hype' machine, the stock price is saying it all in my opinion, it's going down all the time. I even like iOS 7, I've said quite openly it's the best looking iOS they've ever had, especially on white devices, but to me it's still too limited for my personal tastes and I'd rather stick my less tech savvy parents on windows phone than iOS....

OS's 'borrowing' ideas is pretty common, some even blatantly steal ideas and say they're new and revolutionary.... but at the end of the day it helps 'improve' user experiences and sadly flat design is here to stay....

Thanks

I'm with you Crossy - liked Apple more when they were undiscovered kinda and then they were the best. Now they just seem a bit meh, in fact they don't appear to be innovating much at all, just refining....my gran said something about polishing a t**d to me once!

I understand that for some people Apple may be a decent choice, the limits they put in place mean they are going to be useful to some sections of users, but I'd rather have my freedom - from hardware right through to software. Samsungs recent unveiling of SDK's to promote their own hardware is a sign that unless another manufacturer comes along and gets the balance as right as they have been doing (generally speaking) then they will soon be a very dominant player in the whole Android movement, possibly to the detriment of Android as a whole

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I understand that for some people Apple may be a decent choice, the limits they put in place mean they are going to be useful to some sections of users, but I'd rather have my freedom - from hardware right through to software. Samsungs recent unveiling of SDK's to promote their own hardware is a sign that unless another manufacturer comes along and gets the balance as right as they have been doing (generally speaking) then they will soon be a very dominant player in the whole Android movement, possibly to the detriment of Android as a whole
    As an android user (who literally despises the skins most manufacturers add) I can't say I'm too keen on the samsung only sdk's for their android devices. The only people who can stop this from being bad for android is google and I'm not sure they can, they're kind of in that catch 22 situation where they need samsungs 'numbers' but they're also losing 'android' to samsung with the new sdks and it's 'numbers'... samsung could easily change the backend to say tizen (they're working on it and it should support android apps) while retaining the 'touchwiz' look on their devices which would completely screw android over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information