Thread: News - Xbox One SkyDrive integration explained (video)

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Xbox One SkyDrive integration explained (video)

Also the game install sizes of many launch titles are revealed.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Xbox One SkyDrive integration explained (video)

Well, each to his own, I guess, but personally, there are no circumstances under which I am putting my photos on SkyDrive, or any other cloud storage for that matter. And when I want to view photos on my TV, I can pick them up from memory stick, USB drive or network drive, and I don't need any help from Skydrive, or XBox to do it.

I'm sure there are lots of people that do use Skydrive for their photos, but for me, hell will freeze over first.

Thanks

The difference in installation sizes might indicate better and bigger textures for PS4.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

Don't care. Bring on the Steam box

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

I do use SkyDrive myself via Windows Phone, PC etc, so it doesn't hurt having it on XBox One. On the HD front, no rumours of MS bringing out a 1TB version of the XBO yet and charging a bit extra for it, since the HD can't be upgraded.
    Hmm.. I'm beginning to wonder if MS are formulating a drastic contingency plan in the event of XBO sales being horrifically bad, which does look like a distinct possibility. Might we see a version 2 XBO? Not just a slim edition with a larger HD, but a system with an upgraded gpu(backwards compatible with XBO v1) for example.
    Obviously this going to be unlikely due to cost and the massive PR hit MS will get again, but I doubt MS are going to take Sony's PS4 success lying down and maybe a massive U-turn could be on the cards again??
    This is just speculation on my behalf though and maybe I'm just reading into negative space too much. Maybe I can't believe that MS are relying on Jonathan Ross to help the situation lol.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Heisenberg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 970A DS3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD 8320
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti
      • PSU:
      • 650 W XFX
      • Case:
      • Fractal R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" AOC I2367 FH
      • Internet:
      • 160 Mb Virgin Media Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    since the HD can't be upgraded.
    I believe they will be adding external storage options later down the line, from what's been shown some of the games can be up to a 43 GB install, ouch. Lucky for us PC folk, we don't really have an issue with these things, though I will feel sorry for the people who constantly have to delete games, only to reinstall to play DLC/ replay in general...

Registered+
    Thanks

It still confuses me that there is a view on these sort of sites that just because ten to twenty thousand people rant on forums about how they disagree with Microsoft's stance on the Xbox One, it equates to any sort of devestating game breaking PR for MS. A massively conservative estimate of 95% of the people who will ultimatelly buy a next gen console wont have even heard that there was any sort of controversy regarding specs, policies etc.

A drop in the ocean my friends.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poonsies View Post
    It still confuses me that there is a view on these sort of sites that just because ten to twenty thousand people rant on forums about how they disagree with Microsoft's stance on the Xbox One, it equates to any sort of devestating game breaking PR for MS. A massively conservative estimate of 95% of the people who will ultimatelly buy a next gen console wont have even heard that there was any sort of controversy regarding specs, policies etc.

It would also be a mistake to think that large companies don't monitor sites like this, and indeed some much smaller forums, and aren't, first, aware of the tone of feedback, and second, take it into account.

As someone that's been dealing (as a journalist) with tech companies for > 20 years, and have dealt with many of them at anything from product manager level to CEO, I can tell you for an absolute certainty that they DO notice.

A bit of moaning from a small number of forum members isn't going to cause major ructions, let alone policy reversals, but if you aggregate that up to a groundswell of adverse reaction, from a broad enough or deep enough group, it IS taken into account.

Bear in mind, customer disattisfaction is often like an icerberg. The loud bit that you see or hear moaning often indicates the vast bulk of ice under the water that doesn't voice objections. So, even taking your 20,000 figure, if that's those moaning, you can bet that a lot more agree and aren't bothering to moan. And that requires a judgement call as to how representative that vocal group are, and how serious the issues are, compared to the strategic objectives of the compsny and the cost of making concessions, even small ones.

Or indeed, the possibility of making initial statements with the intention of backing down on some points, precisely in order to pull the sting over other changes.

I don't, and never have, done any journalistic work for HEXUS, so this next comment is not referring to this, but several years ago, I was flown to the US for a meeting (dinner, as it happened) with the CEO of a VERY large tech company, and as a lowly freelancer working for a variety of publications, I asked "why me? " Why was I selected for this? The answer was that that spread of contacts, different publications AND forums, including this one, justified flying one lowly UK freelancer half way round the world for a meeting. And that happened on several occasions, to one degree or another.

Does forum angst cause major reversals by MS? Clearly not .... but if it's wide enough, persistent enough, and replicated in sufficient depth on sufficient forums, it IS a factor taken into account, because it does act as a barometer of opinon.

I can also tell you, again for a certainty, that managers at various tech companies do, sometimes, have accounts on forums like this, nearly always without overt recognition of who they are, and often, with know knowledge of forum staff. In some cases, I know who they are and the names they use. If I know, for a certainty, of some, I can only assume there others I don't know of.

Expecting forum gripes to ensure a policy change by MS or any other major corporate would clearly be ludicrous. But don't entirely discount it either. It IS noticed if, and I stress, IF widespread enough.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post

It would also be a mistake to think that large companies don't monitor sites like this, and indeed some much smaller forums, and aren't, first, aware of the tone of feedback, and second, take it into account.

As someone that's been dealing (as a journalist) with tech companies for > 20 years, and have dealt with many of them at anything from product manager level to CEO, I can tell you for an absolute certainty that they DO notice.

A bit of moaning from a small number of forum members isn't going to cause major ructions, let alone policy reversals, but if you aggregate that up to a groundswell of adverse reaction, from a broad enough or deep enough group, it IS taken into account.

Bear in mind, customer disattisfaction is often like an icerberg. The loud bit that you see or hear moaning often indicates the vast bulk of ice under the water that doesn't voice objections. So, even taking your 20,000 figure, if that's those moaning, you can bet that a lot more agree and aren't bothering to moan. And that requires a judgement call as to how representative that vocal group are, and how serious the issues are, compared to the strategic objectives of the compsny and the cost of making concessions, even small ones.

Or indeed, the possibility of making initial statements with the intention of backing down on some points, precisely in order to pull the sting over other changes.

I don't, and never have, done any journalistic work for HEXUS, so this next comment is not referring to this, but several years ago, I was flown to the US for a meeting (dinner, as it happened) with the CEO of a VERY large tech company, and as a lowly freelancer working for a variety of publications, I asked "why me? " Why was I selected for this? The answer was that that spread of contacts, different publications AND forums, including this one, justified flying one lowly UK freelancer half way round the world for a meeting. And that happened on several occasions, to one degree or another.

Does forum angst cause major reversals by MS? Clearly not .... but if it's wide enough, persistent enough, and replicated in sufficient depth on sufficient forums, it IS a factor taken into account, because it does act as a barometer of opinon.

I can also tell you, again for a certainty, that managers at various tech companies do, sometimes, have accounts on forums like this, nearly always without overt recognition of who they are, and often, with know knowledge of forum staff. In some cases, I know who they are and the names they use. If I know, for a certainty, of some, I can only assume there others I don't know of.

Expecting forum gripes to ensure a policy change by MS or any other major corporate would clearly be ludicrous. But don't entirely discount it either. It IS noticed if, and I stress, IF widespread enough.
    Always interesting to know - I am a games dev of 8 years experience and I would love to say that forum complaints were held in any regard what so ever in my industry. What user MrILoveRogue McBlizzard finds irking about a game usually isn't objectively representative of a community and those types tend to be the most vocal. It is a shame because it muddies the water for real feedback which IS important.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Always interesting to know - I am a games dev of 8 years experience and I would love to say that forum complaints were held in any regard what so ever in my industry. What user MrILoveRogue McBlizzard finds irking about a game usually isn't objectively representative of a community and those types tend to be the most vocal. It is a shame because it muddies the water for real feedback which IS important.
    Can't see any complaints on here myself, everything is pretty measured and impartial. The majority of people care about price and Sony has the advantage here, you can throw in a AAA game with the PS4 for less than the XBO price. The PS4 is considered cheaper and more powerful, which mainstream customers tend to care about. I would consider these kind of responses real feedback IMO.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Oh, I'm not suggesting each and every moan is noted. It would clearly be a gargantuan task, and not all 'moans' are, as you say, representative .... or even rational.

But where there's a groundswell of opinion, well, I know of a number of big companies that do certainly monitor that. And, again probably anonymously, monitor twitrer, etc.

Whether they necessarily act on negative feedback is another matter. That, I guess, would depend on a variety of factors, and I certainly wouldn't suggest that moaning on a forum will result in policy change. Just that many companies note it, and it might result in a change, if the company feel it's justified.

You're right though, separating real feedback from mindless griping is important, and tricky.

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

The BBC are beginning to cover the next-gen consoles here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24899400

In the video, at least for the moment, they're just talking about the PS4 which seems positive on the whole. Anand Shimpi from Anandtech is impartial as he can be, but still gives a nod to PS4's GPU advantage.

Just to reiterate on my original post, about the v2 XBO, as I said it, was just speculation and I said it was unlikely, I wouldn't call it a complaint or griping.. I'm more interested to see what MS do about the possible low sales of the XBO on Day One through to Black Friday and Xmas and beyond. They said they won't reduce the price, so I'm wondering what else they're going to do or can do. They have already included a game such as Forza or FIFA in European market at least.
    I think Europe will end up PS4 dominated and North America will be the battleground that XBO can potentially win in, but I wouldn't bet on that either to be honest.
    I'm still interested in the XBO, but I'll probably buy when a slim edition comes out with a bigger HD, but by then, it'll be apparent whether if its a good idea or not. Until then I'll just stick with the 360, maybe get an "E" 360 if my old elite dies under the strain of GTA V.

I found this site after a quick google: http://www.xboxonevspsfour.com/ Again not scientific, it may just imply the sales up to Xmas (the Day One type/earlier adopters), but doesn't bode well for MS, which ever way you look at it. The general consensus in the public or mainstream customer base could be "just get a PS4" after looking at polls like this which then makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy.. the effect poonsies was talking about.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • cha_m_rlie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5-4670k
      • Memory:
      • Corsiar 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Very old WD 160 GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • None Yet :(
      • PSU:
      • Corasir HX750
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 410
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24"
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by The Hand View Post
    I found this site after a quick google: http://www.xboxonevspsfour.com/ Again not scientific, it may just imply the sales up to Xmas (the Day One type/earlier adopters), but doesn't bode well for MS, which ever way you look at it. The general consensus in the public or mainstream customer base could be "just get a PS4" after looking at polls like this which then makes it a self-fulfilling prophecy.. the effect poonsies was talking about.
    The problem with looking at sites such as these for evidence is that the people who go on them to vote are predominantly gamers, which isn't a bad thing, but it does mean that such sites do not cater for the entire target audience for the consoles. Several of the people buying the Xbox may want it for features other than games, such as the TV integration, and their opinion probably isn't shown on many sites.

Thread Information