Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Microsoft’s Windows RT hardware compatibility list is published

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft’s Windows RT hardware compatibility list is published

Nearly 31,000 hardware devices are compatible with the new OS.
    Read more.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: News - Microsoft’s Windows RT hardware compatibility list is published

My surface only arrived yesterday so I've not had much time, but so far I've only found one thing that doesn't work, and even then it still works a bit.

So far, my printers, all work, including higher end devices like my pigment R2880.
    USB Headset + Microphone.
    Mouse + Keyboard.
    USB HDD via bus powered Hub.
    My USB Scanner.

However, my Brother MFC device only half works, the printer works perfectly and frankly effortlessly, as soon as I'd joined the wifi, identified it as "home" location, it uPnP'd the sucker. Meaning I just had the option to print appear before I had the time to even start office once. Top Marks for that. However it also has a ADF which is handy for scanning contracts and the like, no joy. If I plug it in via USB it works, but not via Wireless. Kinda half minded about that, as the scanner requires a Windows XP or later 32bit compatabile OS to run Brothers frankly piss poor scanning software. I can however email it from the printer. So its a sterling 6/10 for the scanner, only a partial fail.

It's worth mentioning that NONE of these devices work out of the box on my iPad 2, or my Nexus 7, the latter I know only light fiddling is required for the HID stuff, but I still need a strange cable you can't buy in most shops.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

3. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (02-11-2012),dangel (02-11-2012),mtyson (02-11-2012)

Thanks

Impressive, I think MS sorted this out thoroughly after Vista's and previous version's compatibility issues.

@TheAnimus, how are you finding it in general, do you think it's any good for productivity (mainly writing/typing)?

I'm torn, do I put my money on the RT or wait for the first Pro iteration, I'm hoping for a Haswell based one later on, I'm also about to get a new phone, decisions decisions - first world problems...

Thanks

I've brought it in to a clients office and we spent a little while trying to find USB things to plug in that wouldn't work.

A £10,000 xerox machine will only work via the network print server (sold seperately) not straight in via USB. Then again we're not sure if it works like that because it didn't on an XP 32bit machine that was next to it.

USB to VGA worked. Seriously impressed.

Performance of it is a strange thing. I think in metro even more than in desktop, there should be some kind of system stress indicator think how rolls royace don't have a rev counter in the new phantom, but a power reserve. That sort of usability thing to let you know stuff. For example:

When I first set it up last night, it decided to update office, fair enough, 600meg download, which despite having a 80mbit connection available it lapped slowly away at about 10mbits.... Eventually it had downloaded, then came the install. This was going on in the 'background' but the entire thing ground to a halt.

Apple by not allowing any real multitasking on the iPad short of buying multiple ones, don't have this problem. But Surface does. By this I mean my mother, bless her, would have no idea why its now slow. Hell are dare say plenty of technology journos wouldn't either.

They really should have put in place some kind of mechansisim maybe, just thinking aloud here, devs would be able to put in the manafest on services localised string messages, then the TS could notify, and you'd get something like
    "Your tablet is running slowly, this is because:\r\n Office is being updated, this may take a few minuites" via the existing notification API.

It would just be nice to know.

As for productivity, its the most productive tablet out there by a mile. Now that's a bit like saying "well he's a nicer bloke than garry glitter".

You can plug in an external keyboard mouse and monitor, you could use it as a 'desktop' if you wanted. The touch cover keyboard is simply amazing, thou for me slightly stress inducing as a proper touch typist i'm used to feeling the edge of the keys more. However I'm already up to about 40-50 wpms.

The office suite itself is great. Performance isn't an issue even if your using SmartArt or other such things, its not going to be slowing you down.

However it does lack VBA, which is a terrible shame, and I fear harks back to the strange split between the office team and everyone else at microsoft. The original integration in Office 97 was a massive compromise afterall.

However on the plus side it lacks VBA so security of word documents and the like will be a lot better. I'd happily consider getting these (Along with proper keyboard and monitor work stations) for any kind of simple office worker, like an HR drone. I think they'd love me for it.

Interestingly plenty of reviers have failed to talk about One Note. There are two versions available, thou only the desktop one is installed by default, there is a simplified metro one. That's very handy for note taking.

In short, its definately a buy, but probably worth waiting until MS have all the updates in place (hate waiting 40mins after opening new toy to get down to business).

6. Received thanks from:

brasco (02-11-2012),crossy (02-11-2012),dangel (02-11-2012),j.o.s.h.1408 (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

A nice gaming option might be to use a Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Game Controller
    Is that the "proper" XBox one or the XBox Controller for Windows - not that it makes much difference to me since I've got both.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Performance of it is a strange thing. I think in metro even more than in desktop, there should be some kind of system stress indicator think how rolls royace don't have a rev counter in the new phantom, but a power reserve. That sort of usability thing to let you know stuff.
    System load indicator on Ubuntu. Surely with the number of Surface's out there if it's possible then someone'll gen up an app(let) and stuff it into the store. Sounds like an ideal use for MUI's Live Tiles!
    When I first set it up last night, it decided to update office, fair enough, 600meg download, which despite having a 80mbit connection available it lapped slowly away at about 10mbits....
    Funny you should say that - I was trying to download stuff from MS last night and it was dog slow - maybe it was all those Surface folks doing updates....
    They really should have put in place some kind of mechansisim maybe, just thinking aloud here, devs would be able to put in the manafest on services localised string messages, then the TS could notify, and you'd get something like
    "Your tablet is running slowly, this is because:\r\n Office is being updated, this may take a few minuites" via the existing notification API.It would just be nice to know.
    A bit like the Android notifications bar - on my S3 I get warning's when it's doing media or AV scans.
    As for productivity, its the most productive tablet out there by a mile. Now that's a bit like saying "well he's a nicer bloke than garry glitter".
    I'll disagree. Although the availability of "proper" Office is a big plus point, and the USB compatibility could well be a "home run" in a lot of people's book.
    The office suite itself is great. However on the plus side it lacks VBA so security of word documents and the like will be a lot better. I'd happily consider getting these (Along with proper keyboard and monitor work stations) for any kind of simple office worker, like an HR drone. I think they'd love me for it.
    Downside of the VBA-lack is that it'll mean that some "smart" documents fail. I get a couple of these - mainly xlsx's - so if I can't use them on the Surface then that'd be a problem for me to use the Surface instead of a base laptop.

Thanks for the posting though - comprehensive and well-thought. Maybe Hexus could offer you a beer voucher to do a full-on article?

As I said way back I can easily see the RT gear stealing a lot of sales from both iPad's and top-end Android devices (the low to middle end stuff is safe purely on the price aspect).

Hopefully RT will take off - we consumers need a third option - and current naysayers like Sony, HP, Toshiba and Acer will get over their Surface-induced fright and join in.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Awesome to read of some hands-on experience TheAnimus - thanks for the update! I'm holding for the Pro but i'm really interested in the RT (i'd love to actually try one myself) which (as I've said before) surprises me as it's easy to dismiss as being not compatible enough with Windows 'proper'. I suppose, given i've got an iPad that's a bit silly since that's even less so.

What's the 'feel' of quality like? As good as they say?
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks

Quality of feel is just top notch.

I don't like alluminum, and a I don't like glass. There I said it. I don't know if its from working in a 70s futuristic building before *shudders* but I don't jizz myself for alluminium. A samsung 9 series is leagues ahead of an Apple Air, side by side the Air feels fragile.

The surface has this vapour magnesium thingie going on, it has an interesting feel. I believe this process is more for making the parts and shapes such as the kickstand. But I'll cut to the chase, its nice feel, but not as nice as a Samsung Series 9 ultrabook. However I think that is pretty much the highest end computing device mass produced atm.

The surface is sturdy, it is robust, and its much better build quality than an iPad. The touch cover (Which you'd be mad not to get) is again much better quality than the standard synthetic cover for the iPad, this being the only one I have to compare against. The Touch Cover has no difficulty supporting the weight of the Surface. The Apple offering, can not. When you fold the apple thing to make the almost but not quite, completely useless stand, you can't pick the iPad up by it, in fact just trying to move it on a bed or something with friction the iPad falls off. Microsoft didn't cheap out on the touch cover dock, and its simply loverly and much better. When you consider the pricing, the Apple simple cover is £40, the Microsoft one costing an extra £80 (or £10 more if purchased later, so don't!) The Apple one is simply useless by comparison.

The screen resolution thing is again interesting, as I don't have an iPad 3 in my company, so have only had 5 min spare to sit it down with coffee and compare a mates. Text and OS look better on the Surface, web browsing was odd, as both devices won out at different zoom levels. However photo viewing was a surprise. I've ranted before about how apple gimp the photos you import, and you can't change that. They do browse a lot faster. I put on 1GB of photos and the app took about 10 seconds to index them, until it had, changing picture whilst smooth, lacked the next picture for about 0.5 seconds. It's very similar to the issues I have with Andriod. Anyway, back to the comparison, the iPad 3 colour renditon and viewing angles are simply wrong. I looked at a long exposure night scene I'd taken, high constrast wanted, crisp sharp blacks, and trails from moped lights. You can't see the pixels on the surface unless your very close. In economy on a plane this might be an issue I suppose, but for colour and picture quality the Surface wins, easily. (and iPad 2 wins against a 3 here). Textured things look better on the iPad 3, but only slightly.

To breifly conclude on the screen, its more a case of "hmm". ClearType is really doing a lot, as might be the bonding process MS used, which is currently only seen on smartphones.

However, when we talk videos, the iPad really starts to loose, this applies to all versions. The 16:9 ratio is much closer to whats wanted for watching a vid on the go, not to mention it will just notice them on the Homegroup allowing you to simply copy them across with no hassle. Interestingly xBox video store is cheaper than iTunes, but having never bought a video from either I can't speak as to the quality differences in encoding.

If you wanted something for video on the go, however, a Kindle or Nexus thing would be a hell of a lot cheaper, despite lacking MicroSD support, and the extra faffing around copying content.

10. Received thanks from:

dangel (02-11-2012)

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Better build quality than the iPad - crikey. Again good read - especially concerning the screen: it seems to corelate with MS' claims. We have a N7 and you're right it's a great video consumption device (right ratio, decent screen and very good battery life whilst being light and small).
    I think the Pro, with it's higher res screen and (hopefully) the same pluses you point out will meet my needs really well. My only question is whether I can convince work to buy one for me rather than me shelling out - technically I could stick visual studio on it so..
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Not to be 'that guy' but the first picture in the article appears to be a Surface Pro... Otherwise, interesting article and very much enjoying the impromptu hands-on review from TheAnimus!
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

Thanks

When I first set it up last night, it decided to update office, fair enough, 600meg download, which despite having a 80mbit connection available it lapped slowly away at about 10mbits.... Eventually it had downloaded, then came the install. This was going on in the 'background' but the entire thing ground to a halt.
    I've installed he 2013 preview on Windows 8 here, and that seemed to take an age, maybe their servers are getting slammed? I think it's relying on the connection even late into the install, it took ages even after downloading the initial bulk (on a fairly fast SSD/i7 system).

Hah, most relevant analogy ever?

The touch cover keyboard is simply amazing, thou for me slightly stress inducing as a proper touch typist i'm used to feeling the edge of the keys more. However I'm already up to about 40-50 wpms.
    To clarify, this is the one with the non-mechanical keys, i.e. no key travel?

The office suite itself is great. Performance isn't an issue even if your using SmartArt or other such things, its not going to be slowing you down.

Interestingly plenty of reviers have failed to talk about One Note. There are two versions available, thou only the desktop one is installed by default, there is a simplified metro one. That's very handy for note taking.
    I'm loving One Note, I use it on my HD7 to jot things down and then open them up on the desktop later, SkyDrive integration is insanely good now and Office 2013 is stunning, yes a nerdasm for Office, what's going on there!

Thanks for the mini review

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brasco View Post
    I've installed he 2013 preview on Windows 8 here, and that seemed to take an age, maybe their servers are getting slammed? I think it's relying on the connection even late into the install, it took ages even after downloading the initial bulk (on a fairly fast SSD/i7 system).
    The install after download still took 10 min. Not a disaster, but not streamlined either. Because you could use the rest of the system, it was slow to very slow. I'd hazard a guess thats where a lot of the "surface RT is slow" thing comes from.
    To clarify, this is the one with the non-mechanical keys, i.e. no key travel?
    Yeah the Touch cover has no key travel, and uses the strange pressure sensing thing. It does work, and its a nice weighs nothing alternative to a screen keyboard. But it's not stress free if that makes sense. Still very impressed by the innovation, it definately has a praticle void that it fills.
    Thanks for the mini review
    no problem I'll try and get something more full and proper up in a week or two, where I can objectively compare it against a high end ultrabook, a low end ultrabook, a iPad, a Nexus and a Kindle.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

Animus thanks for the update. really was a wonderful read.

u got a DSLR dont u? Have u tried transfering RAW files on your surface and if so, is it quick and simple to do so? can u view and do some basic edit on raw files or do they have to be jpeg only?

reason i ask is because i will be using this surface for doing some basic PP on my raw files fro my 5d3, a bit of browsing on the net and maybe some games(looking at the pro instead of the RT because of this).

Hows the battery life? any good?
    what about the external sound speakers? good?

Thanks

Yeah josh I've used a Pentax K-5 with it so far. Transfers RAW files easily, and it renders them too, however its sluggish to render them, but still faster than the iPad 2/3 with camera connection kit, not had chance to try with anything newer from Apple. It is however very easy to copy them, you can daisy chain USB afterall. It is trival to say copy from camera straight to portable HDD, both on USB.

What can you do once you've loaded them, at present there isn't any software I've found that lets you change / edit them. However given how slowly Lightroom works on my RAID SSD, 24GB RAM, watercooled overclocked desktop, I wouldn't expect anything to really allow you to do much other than view. As I've said before, if your wanting that, you'll need at the very least an Ultrabook. I was mailshot about one under £500.... They are afterall lightweight, and have reasonable battery life normally 5 hours plus.

So, battery life for the Surface, its great. Lasts a whole day of constant gaming. Not tried it on a flight yet.

External speakers are more than adiquate. They are 'tablet grade'. I'll still be using my headphones. The clustered microphones however are very good for skype.

I've plugged in a USB amp which just worked, and of course the sound was good.

17. Received thanks from:

j.o.s.h.1408 (05-11-2012)

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quality thanks.

another question, can u connect a usb 4 in 1 hub so as u say, plug your camera and a ext hdd and transfer between the two?

Thanks

Yes you can.

You can even plug a 4 port hub in to your 4 port hub!

(its what I ment by Daisy Chaining).

But I want to make sure you really know, there is nothing like Lightroom available, and I'd be suprised if there was anything useful ever available because the CPUs are simply slow, so you'd have to have some kind of clever use of the GPU and the Quad Core 1.3ghz ARM processors to do anything useful.

Given that adobe can't program elegantly for toffee, I doubt this will happen. Last time I looked at the PC open source communities offerings for processing RAW images, they were also alas quite piss poor.

However copying memory cards and viewing them this thing will eat through. You could even have something for say adding descriptive tags with no problem, even nicer to type it on the touch cover, which as I said above you'd be mad to not buy.

You could even happily do STOC printing with it!

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Can u convert RAW to jpg if u wish to send/post some of your raw files to facebook etc?

Is there a Flickr app on win RT yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information