Thread: News - Grand Theft Auto V voted 'Game of the year' at VGX 2013

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Grand Theft Auto V voted 'Game of the year' at VGX 2013

Plus new trailers for Titanfall , No Man's Sky and Division were released at the event.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • MaverickWill's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 128GB + Samsung F4 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7850 DD
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Prodigy - mesh front
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1

Re: News - Grand Theft Auto V voted 'Game of the year' at VGX 2013

"Best Shooter: BioShock Infinite"

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what is wrong with the gaming industry. We've gone from "System Shock 2's spiritual successor" to "Ah, hell, let's just stick loads of guns in there and add bloom out the eyeballs", in 6 years.

At least Call of Duty didn't win.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • EzioAs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77A-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Black + 1TB Samsung F3 + 2TB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VS228

Perhaps because it was release a bit early compared to other titles above it didn't get any awards but I still think the Tomb Raider reboot is the best game I've played this year (in terms of storyline, gameplay and voice acting...and also visual).

I've never been a fan of any GTA titles and I don't think GTAV will be any different although I do know a lot of people are big fans of the series so understandably GOTY goes to it. If it were me, I'd vote Tomb Raider or ACIV:BF or maybe even The Last of Us but that would be unfair since I've never played TLOU because I don't own a console. Maybe I'll pick up some 2nd hand unit next year to try TLOU and Uncharted.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickWill View Post
    "Best Shooter: BioShock Infinite"
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what is wrong with the gaming industry. We've gone from "System Shock 2's spiritual successor" to "Ah, hell, let's just stick loads of guns in there and add bloom out the eyeballs", in 6 years.
    At least Call of Duty didn't win.
    I'd kind of expect a "shooter" to have "loads of guns" - be a bit pointless otherwise. And at least BS:I has some strategic element in there. Personally speaking, I also found the various stories in there quite engaging.

Agree though about CoD - got it at around the same time as BF4 and have played the latter about 2-3x CoD. For me it's the storyline that lets it down - horrible mish-mash of ideas done better elsewhere. But still, I guess the foul-mouthed console-frag-fest junkies like it.

GTAV = Goty? Very, very, very, very predictable given the sheer amount of hype around it. Hated the last one, so I'll probably wait until it gets to the <£10 price point before giving it a go. Nope, it was SRIV for me - utterly demented, but still, darned good fun.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to these award ceremonies - they don't affect my buying choices - and even then I prefer the ones that the public votes for rather than the industry or journalists.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • MaverickWill's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 128GB + Samsung F4 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7850 DD
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Prodigy - mesh front
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I'd kind of expect a "shooter" to have "loads of guns" - be a bit pointless otherwise. And at least BS:I has some strategic element in there. Personally speaking, I also found the various stories in there quite engaging.
    Oh, the game is great, and deserves to be on that list... but not as a shooter. Irrational Games made a great game - but they also made the original Bioshock, and that was a great game, with far less firepower on the table, and you'd never be able to really call it a shooter. The player would get punched, hacked at, drilled, snuck up on, and then occasionally shot at. Infinite feels closer to a traditional shooter with the occasional power-up thrown in for good measure, and while we're at it, you know what else the Bioshock universe needs? Quick-time events! HDR! Maybe some "quirky" barbershop covers of songs taken far from their original time, because those acapella boys on the Youtubes are getting all the likes, and we want some of that Internet money!

It feels like pandering, and while I know I'm aeons too late to be fashionably bashing Infinite, I still will. You couldn't play Bioshock as a straight shooter - the game would tear you apart before your first cry of "What's the blue bar for, then?", and to top it off, the plasmids were great fun (like shooting killer bees at a man with hooks for hands and one eye to watch him tap-dance halfway across a room). Bioshock Infinite could be played as a straight shooter (albeit with some difficulty), and the plasmids didn't feel as vital to the surroundings.

Except Murder of Crows. That made me giggle like a child the first time I saw it.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickWill View Post
    Oh, the game is great, and deserves to be on that list... but not as a shooter. Irrational Games made a great game - but they also made the original Bioshock, and that was a great game, with far less firepower on the table, and you'd never be able to really call it a shooter. The player would get punched, hacked at, drilled, snuck up on, and then occasionally shot at. Infinite feels closer to a traditional shooter with the occasional power-up thrown in for good measure, and while we're at it, you know what else the Bioshock universe needs? Quick-time events! HDR! Maybe some "quirky" barbershop covers of songs taken far from their original time, because those acapella boys on the Youtubes are getting all the likes, and we want some of that Internet money!

It feels like pandering, and while I know I'm aeons too late to be fashionably bashing Infinite, I still will. You couldn't play Bioshock as a straight shooter - the game would tear you apart before your first cry of "What's the blue bar for, then?", and to top it off, the plasmids were great fun (like shooting killer bees at a man with hooks for hands and one eye to watch him tap-dance halfway across a room). Bioshock Infinite could be played as a straight shooter (albeit with some difficulty), and the plasmids didn't feel as vital to the surroundings.

Except Murder of Crows. That made me giggle like a child the first time I saw it.
    I'm coming at this from a different angle - BS:I was the first Bioshock title that I've played (although something came along that meant I haven't quite finished it yet). Didn't bother with the others because the premise (wet world adventuring) didn't appeal in the slightest. And yes, it IS very pretty - so far it's the only game that's ramped my 7970's fan up to medium speed for an extended period of time.

Agree 100% with the plasmid/vigors though - if BS:I IS a "shooter" then the vigor attacks feel like "special grenade" type attacks. Use a vigor defence/attack to weaken an opponent before headshotting the s.o.b.!

Other thing I didn't pick up on was the vigor combo's - and when I finally get back to it then I'll have to give that a go.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

GOTY - GTA V. Well deserved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EzioAs View Post
    I've never played TLOU because I don't own a console. Maybe I'll pick up some 2nd hand unit next year to try TLOU and Uncharted.
    A PS3 was my first console and for a long time I only owned GT5. But although games like Last of Us and Uncharted 2 & 3 are far from perfect, there is nothing quite like them on the PC.

And there is *definitely* nothing like Flower or Journey. These are part art, part game, part pure joy. As you can tell, I have become something of a Sony fanboy in my old age after years of cynicism. :-)

Anyway, awards are useful as a marketing tool, and for reminding us what's out there. But ultimately I only trust the opinions of a few people I've got to know online over many years.

Can't make my mind up about No Man's Sky. Lots of potential but it does look like a project from a small team, and we're going to have quite a few space sims/games to choose from "soon".

Thread Information