Thread: News - YouTube to allow all verified uses to live stream

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - YouTube to allow all verified uses to live stream

Meanwhile the video service has been cracking down hard on video game content.
    Read more.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: News - YouTube to allow all verified uses to live stream

This is what you get from copyright extreamism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Is YT deliberately making itself less popular?

Cog
    Registered+
    Thanks

Youtube is a complete mess right now.

I know of people who have had entire videos muted simply for less than 5 seconds of a radio playing in the background.
    Other people have had their videos wrongly flagged after they have included music which has been specifically made available as royalty-free.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

nice one dimwits <facepalm>

Registered+
    Thanks

So what happens if you start livestreaming a gameplay session? Could be interesting.

7. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (13-12-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • MaverickWill's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 128GB + Samsung F4 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7850 DD
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Prodigy - mesh front
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1

Oh, joy - now they can shut off my favourite YouTube broadcasters in real-time!

Registered+
    Thanks

Youtube are very lucky they don't have competitors, if they did i would not hesitate to use them instead. They completely messed up the comments section and now this... sick of it.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

don't worry though that hairy bloke spoofing miley cyrus is still up....

Cog
    Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    don't worry though that hairy bloke spoofing miley cyrus is still up....
    It's called having good lawyers...

Thanks

Really, YouTube?
    I hope this get straightened out.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    This is what you get from copyright extreamism.
    It's more a reflection of two things, IMHO. first, YouTube being caught in the middle. Second, the failure of technology to keep up with itself, that being, the ability to accurately, and I stress accurately differentiate between :-

- non-copyright material
    - copyright material with no permission to show
    - copyright material with permission to show.

The existence, and necessity, for copyright protection, and it's enforcement, should be a given. Without it, the vast majority of modern artistic works wouldn't exist, because those responsible for creating it could only do it either as a hobby or if they were independently wealthy enough to not need to make a living. And the investment for, for instance, major Hollywood films wouldn't be there, because they couldn't get their investment back.

But, we don't just want big corporations protected by copyright, with the rest of us left unprotected. So, copyright applies to all original creative works, including a poem, short story or photograph from you and me, as well as the biggest hit record or blockbuster film from huge companies.

So, copyright exists, and we're all better off for it.

And as a result, both anyone uploading content, AND 3rd party publishers, like YouTube, are subject to it.

Which is why YouTube, and in the same way though to a far lesser extent, HEXUS, are both subject to it, and caught in the middle, put into a very invidious position by users uploading things they shouldn't, and the likes of websites and P2P services making piracy a business model.

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE running a website allowing users to upload content runs this risk - as publishers, you can be held legally liable as "publisher" for any infringing content users upload.

Hence, "caught in the middle".

YouTube absolutely have to take measures to protect themselves, or they take the risk of hugely expensive legal action, and/or substantial damages. As do HEXUS. That's why we have close to a zero-tolerance stance, and we err considerably on the side of caution.

Put it this way. If an individual user infringes copyright, who presents the more tempting legal target - a individual, or a much larger, and likely wealthier, commercial entity, ripe for plucking for damages? The attitude here is that HEXUS doesn't want to be paying what could easily be tens of thpussnds of pounds, or more, in legal fees and/or damages, because a user uploaded protected material.

But .... how do we tell for sure if material is protected, and if it is, whether it's uploaded with permission?

It seems that YT have in place filters designed to automatically detect protected material, and they're working. What's not working, yet or consistently is properly excluding material where valid permission exists. Which is why technology has failed to keep up with itself. The facility for vast numbers of people to, first, capture and extract protected audio and video content, and second, upload and otherwise 'share' it, has been growing exponentially. The ability to automatically filter it is relatively new, presumably brought about by a desire to avoid the issues faced by Pirate Bay and others. These nebulous sites can vanish, relocate and reinvent themselves, cheaply and easily, but legitimate corporations like YT can't go that route, so they have to act fairly aggressively, or risk huge legal costs.

Prssumably, now that filtering is, quite legitimately, coming on in force, whitelisting both accurately, and in timely fashion, needs to catch up. It no doubt will, but it'll take a little time to get the wrinkles out.

But bear in mind what's behind all this. If vast numbers of people didn't rip off every book, audio track, film, TV prog and computer game they could get their hands on, and hadn't been doing it on an industrial scale for many years, outfits like YT wouldn't need to take these kinds of measures in the first place.

But for YT, failing to act, to take preventative measures, isn't and option, because it could well end up being the end of them altogether if they don't act. They jyst have to fine tune it. I'm sure they'd much rather not have to bother, but rampant over several decades has made it inevitable that it would come to this.

Thanks

I have an inactive gaming channel and any music is licensed but yet one of my videos was being claim by an unknown third party for this track. I contested it and YouTube ruled in my favour. Imagine those who have far more popular channels and having to contest every claim in writing and also contact the company from who you bought it from (if you remember) to be placed on a whitelist.

I could easily prove it was mine to use and because I bought the correct licence to do as I wanted. Music was bought from a legitimate site and the claim was listed as: "sound recording administered by: AdRev for a 3rd Party" Doesn't even list the company yet I had to sit there to give details about my order! If YouTube dismisses your claim because they think you are being fraudulent (they never state exactly how this can be interpreted), they can delete your account. When you digitally sign the dispute it's right there.

In making any gameplay guides, I would have to mute any accidental background music. I know with gameplay even the entire assets of the game are copyrighted but if everything on YouTube had to 100% your own work, there wouldn't be much to watch and too effort involved that we may as well go back to blogs or posting on forums which requires less our time.

In terms of profit, we talking about $5.6BN from ads on YouTube, $2NB of that is pure profit for Google themselves. Even if content creators are more savy with the rules, what's to stop Google from moving the goalposts over and over again. Those million hit videos will instead start generating ad revenue for third parties, the rules have to be fair and it's hard to stay ahead of the gatekeeper. At least YouTube doesn't appear as heavy handed with strikes when uploading copyrighted material and would rather pop an ad at the start of your video but then money talks doesn't it. Maybe they are being hardballed to rein in constant copyright claims - bombarded in most cases and those false submitted claims have meant some have had their automatic takedowns took away because these companies lied - most to appear legit than face more fines. There have been a lot of cases which points to their algorithms being as effective as the UK's train system - for the sake of the majority I would rather say that in good light.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    Youtube is a complete mess right now.
    Agreed but I don't think it's just Youtube in a mess, I think a number of Google's services are. I've felt a lot of poor decisions over the last year and I personally think they are about to hit the pivoting point. Especially if they carry on with the handling of their notorious Google+ and other moronic decisions by some departments. Google are cashing in on every tiny opportunity and they don't care if you agree or disagree.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    Agreed but I don't think it's just Youtube in a mess, I think a number of Google's services are. I've felt a lot of poor decisions over the last year and I personally think they are about to hit the pivoting point. Especially if they carry on with the handling of their notorious Google+ and other moronic decisions by some departments. Google are cashing in on every tiny opportunity and they don't care if you agree or disagree.
    yup. You can't even get a phone off their website without setting up a google play account. FFS if it's a gift for someone else you really shouldn't have to sign up to the google megalocorp network.

Thread Information