Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Freeview Connect coming to disrupt YouView

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Freeview Connect coming to disrupt YouView

TV distribution platform will support catch-up services from BBC, ITV and Channel 4.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Freeview Connect coming to disrupt YouView

I remember a few years ago them all trying to get together to make a one stop portal where you could catch up on all the popular channels. This was blocked by Ofcom iirc.

Thanks

The terrestrial channels are not exactly the "Champions of the free" either, with the BBC license fee and the now constant 15 minutes per hour ad breaks all running at the same time whichever non licensed channel you are watching.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

What rubbish about Youview. I got it through BT as it was the cheapest way (12 months at £5 a month = £60 vs £200 for a box at retail - no brainer really). What they need to address is the cost of the boxes...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

I think you've worked out the manufacturing cost of a YouView box - £60 max.

NowTV dongles provide a lot of the functionality mentioned for a tenner (no obligation to buy Sky services even though they subsidise it) already. But within separate apps. YouView does have that funky EPG into the past concept, although I fail to see how useful it is really compared to a decent catch-up TV player application like iPlayer currently is (or nearly is, depending on the platform you are using).

6. Received thanks from:

McEwin (12-02-2014)

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post

NowTV dongles provide a lot of the functionality mentioned for a tenner (no obligation to buy Sky services even though they subsidise it) already. But within separate apps. YouView does have that funky EPG into the past concept, although I fail to see how useful it is really compared to a decent catch-up TV player application like iPlayer currently is (or nearly is, depending on the platform you are using).
    Trust me. Its so much better than vanilla iplayer etc. Just find your program in the EPG and hit a button or alternatively just search. All the content from all the catch up services is searched (Which is helpful when you don't remember which channel showed a program). Saves switching between the different 'apps' which makes it feel much more integrated. Also don't forget youview boxes are also a 500Gb PVR which for £60 is a bargain...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sykobee View Post

Trust me. Its so much better than vanilla iplayer etc. Just find your program in the EPG and hit a button or alternatively just search. All the content from all the catch up services is searched (Which is helpful when you don't remember which channel showed a program). Saves switching between the different 'apps' which makes it feel much more integrated. Also don't forget youview boxes are also a 500Gb PVR which for £60 is a bargain...
    They also receive IPTV streams like BT Vision and integrate this nicely with other channels in the guide.

A PVR is slightly redundant though when you have catch up and the box can't stream recordings over the LAN so its inferior to a solution like DVBLink. I'd rather have had a smaller model which was just a catch-up box with the scroll guide to browse, no tuners or PVR, also my telly already has a lot of the features and this is becoming a confusing issue for the less technical in my house - which box does what best.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    They also receive IPTV streams like BT Vision and integrate this nicely with other channels in the guide.

A PVR is slightly redundant though when you have catch up and the box can't stream recordings over the LAN so its inferior to a solution like DVBLink. I'd rather have had a smaller model which was just a catch-up box with the scroll guide to browse, no tuners or PVR, also my telly already has a lot of the features and this is becoming a confusing issue for the less technical in my house - which box does what best.
    A DVR is redundant. The idea of a PVR (like my well over a decade old TiVo) is that it learns the stuff you like to watch and goes and finds stuff you might like. That is the "personal" bit and I haven't seen a catch-up service work that out yet. Netflix has a good stab at it.

Thanks

I don't want all this in my TV as it's not upgradable (Samsung I believe do upgrades but they cost a lot and are limited in scope/model)

Just give me a decent priced box with, and here's the thing where freeview/freesat fall down a decent EPG
    Sky walk all over Freesat with theirs and until that catches up I couldn't care less about having streaming services integrated, there are just too many options in the none sky/Virgin market and it's now going to get worse.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    A DVR is redundant. The idea of a PVR (like my well over a decade old TiVo) is that it learns the stuff you like to watch and goes and finds stuff you might like. That is the "personal" bit and I haven't seen a catch-up service work that out yet. Netflix has a good stab at it.
    Well, most definitions seem to suggest that, these days, the terms PVR and DVR are pretty much regarded as being synonymous, and that PVR has pretty much been replaced by DVR in marketing speak. Really, buyers have to look at actual feature sets.

Personally, I find the "personalising" features either useless, or actively a pain. Sky's notion of what it thinjs I might like is fatuous. Not once did it ever record anything for me I wanted, and after testing it for about a year, I turned it off. Humax keep suggesting "recommended" programs whenever (or at least often) when I select a program to record. I think once, maybe twice, have I ever been interested in the recommended programs. The other several hundred times, it's just another couple of button presses to cancel it. (Note to self: find out how to turn it off).

If these things actually suggested programs I'd actually watch, maybe I'd feel different. BUT .... if a "personalised" recommendation means some company databasing what TV progeams I watch, I don't want them doing it, period. Which is one reason why I don't, and won't, use services like Netflix.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post

Sky walk all over Freesat with theirs and until that catches up I couldn't care less about having streaming services integrated, there are just too many options in the none sky/Virgin market and it's now going to get worse.
    Sky might walk over Freesat, but compared to my Freeview box, Sky's (Sky+, not HD, in my case) EPG is absymal. It's slow as hell, the search function barely works, and it drives me absolutely nuts. I'm about to move away from Sky, and the EPG and the way the DVR functions is a large part of why.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Well, most definitions seem to suggest that, these days, the terms PVR and DVR are pretty much regarded as being synonymous, and that PVR has pretty much been replaced by DVR in marketing speak. Really, buyers have to look at actual feature sets.

Personally, I find the "personalising" features either useless, or actively a pain. Sky's notion of what it thinjs I might like is fatuous. Not once did it ever record anything for me I wanted, and after testing it for about a year, I turned it off. Humax keep suggesting "recommended" programs whenever (or at least often) when I select a program to record. I think once, maybe twice, have I ever been interested in the recommended programs. The other several hundred times, it's just another couple of button presses to cancel it. (Note to self: find out how to turn it off).

If these things actually suggested programs I'd actually watch, maybe I'd feel different. BUT .... if a "personalised" recommendation means some company databasing what TV progeams I watch, I don't want them doing it, period. Which is one reason why I don't, and won't, use services like Netflix.
    The series one TiVo hold the database locally. Knowing what programs you like, it knows their genre as well as actors and directors and loads of other stuff. The recommendations are presented at the end of the programs you actually asked it to record, so you only get to them if there is nothing on you want to watch. They are treated as a lower priority material, so they only use otherwise free space and are the first to be deleted if something new needs to be recorded.

People with an old TiVo tend not to watch live TV channels. As one person put it, you check the recordings, failing that you check the recommendations, failing that you read a book. All that with a 60MHz PowerPC CPU and 16MB of ram from 12 years ago, why aren't current user interfaces amazing?

I don't know what the new TiVo is like, I won't touch Virgin media with a barge pole. I hope they didn't cave to some commercial pressure and wreak the interface.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The series one TiVo hold the database locally. Knowing what programs you like, it knows their genre as well as actors and directors and loads of other stuff. The recommendations are presented at the end of the programs you actually asked it to record, so you only get to them if there is nothing on you want to watch. They are treated as a lower priority material, so they only use otherwise free space and are the first to be deleted if something new needs to be recorded.

People with an old TiVo tend not to watch live TV channels. As one person put it, you check the recordings, failing that you check the recommendations, failing that you read a book. All that with a 60MHz PowerPC CPU and 16MB of ram from 12 years ago, why aren't current user interfaces amazing?

I don't know what the new TiVo is like, I won't touch Virgin media with a barge pole. I hope they didn't cave to some commercial pressure and wreak the interface.
    Sounds like a better way to do it. My Sky+ box (until I turned it off, which it seems is what most people do) just recorded what it thought you might like, without asking. My Humax Freeview makes "suggestions", quite a lot of the time, when you select a program to record, before it adds it to the schedule. I'm not even sure if I can turn it off. I did look a while ago, and if it can be disabled, it wasn't overly obvious how. It's a flipping nuisance, though.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Sky might walk over Freesat, but compared to my Freeview box, Sky's (Sky+, not HD, in my case) EPG is absymal. It's slow as hell, the search function barely works, and it drives me absolutely nuts. I'm about to move away from Sky, and the EPG and the way the DVR functions is a large part of why.
    That should be an interesting conversation for you. I just bailed Sky, they wouldn't budge on the price per month but they seemed happy to try and throw hardware at me. They wanted me to have the latest wireless sky plus HD or multiroom, but I wanted it to cost a lot less per month.

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Another problem with the youview box is the hardware and software.

Side by side the youview box next to the Now TV (Roku LT box) the Now TV is so much quicker at accessing the different services but also alot better at streaming the content - plus it has wifi.

Tried using the NOWTV app on the youview box and not only does it take a while to load, the streaming of videos is slow and buffers , this is a wired connection vs the NOW TV box which is wifi.

The first BT Vision boxes were the same, slow and poor performance.

Sky (Roku) can get it right on a tiny little cheap box, why can't the youview box be as quick and smooth.

Thanks

I feel a QotW coming on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information