Thread: News - Microsoft DirectX 12 reveal teased for GDC 2014

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft DirectX 12 reveal teased for GDC 2014

"Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated," Tweets the DirectX 12 account.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - Microsoft DirectX 12 reveal teased for GDC 2014

AMD's Roy Taylor Tweeted in response to the rumours; "AMD loves open standards and fair competition. DX, OpenGL, Mantle; if it's good for gamers it's good for all".
    Is DX an open standard? Thought it was pretty proprietary and tightly integrated with a particular versions of Windows?
    With major new versions of DirectX usually launched with new versions of Windows it is expected that DirectX 12 will probably be part of Windows 9 when that OS is released.
    That's my biggest gripe with DX - that you only get two versions per OS level. So Windows 7 got 11.0 and 11.1, Windows 8 gets 11.1 and 11.2, presumably Windows 9 will get 12.0 and 12.1.

Why can't I get - for example, DX11.2 on Windows7? (Not that I think I necessarily would notice the difference, but it's the principle ... lol)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

DX12 will probably be available for Windows 8, DX11 is extremely high tech only that DX12 will be more efficient enabling hardware to handle more 4K power.

The Ace
    Thanks

Well this means better GPU and quality games and it should be beter than Mantle .

Thanks
    • pastymuncher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600K @ 5Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Gskill Trident 3866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 970 Evo Polaris+960GB Corsair MP510
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D GTX1070 iChill Air Boss X3
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w
      • Case:
      • Self built desk mod
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Yet a huge amount of games being released are still DX9 so i don't see what the big deal is.

Thanks
    • Jingee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Sandisk Extreme + 64Gb Crucial C300 + 2.25tb HDD storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 nVidia GTX 670 EX OC
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Some cheap one, works well, surprisingly.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Hanns-G HS233H3B @ 120hz

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Why can't I get - for example, DX11.2 on Windows7? (Not that I think I necessarily would notice the difference, but it's the principle ... lol)
    Because MS will make less money.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

AMD's Roy Taylor Tweeted in response to the rumours; "AMD loves open standards and fair competition. DX, OpenGL, Mantle; if it's good for gamers it's good for all".
    Is DX an open standard? Thought it was pretty proprietary and tightly integrated with a particular versions of Windows?
    Don't confuse open standards with open source. DX11 is (afaik) an open API that can be implemented by any vendor - and I guess theoretically[1] it should even be possible to do an open port of DX to any platform (much the way .NET was ported by the mono project).

That's my biggest gripe with DX - that you only get two versions per OS level. So Windows 7 got 11.0 and 11.1, Windows 8 gets 11.1 and 11.2, presumably Windows 9 will get 12.0 and 12.1.

You can't get DX11.2 on Win 7 because "MS said so". Kind of their perogative, although the reasoning is beyond me. That said, DX point releases very rarely add anything woth shouting about, so Win 7 users probably aren't missing out on much.

I'd be amazed if you DX12 isn't made available for Win 7 though. AFAIK the underlying OS isn't actually going to change going to Win 9 (i.e. it'll still be a point release of Windows NT 6). Even when Win 9 is released, Win 7 will still be a major end user OS and if MS don't make their latest API available to those end users game devs will go elsewhere - to Open GL, Mantle, or whatever.

Perhaps what we're seeing here is what AMD actually wanted all along with Mantle - to shake up the API market a little and force the major API providers to innovate.

[1]this is more supposition on my part than based on any inherent knowledge of the way the DX API is published: I'd welcome clarification from anyone who is more in the know

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

Quote Originally Posted by pastymuncher View Post
    Yet a huge amount of games being released are still DX9 so i don't see what the big deal is.
    The reason for so many DX9 games and lack of DX10/11 games is a two parter.

Part 1 - Reason: Microsoft refused to allow installation of DX10/11 on windows XP.
    Explanation: Games companies want to make money, they could make games that use DX 10/11 for a small (but slowly growing) number of computers that look great or make DX9 games for almost every computer that look not quite as good.
    Part 2 - Reason: Previous Gen Consoles used Geforce 7800 & Ati X1800 based parts.
    Explanation: These parts were the last of the DX9 generation and even with 'to the metal' optomisation there's only so much optomising that can be done with the shader technology in the chip. Seeing as so many games were designed to run on both consoles and PC ported the amount of work required to port the engine up to DX10/11 for pc wasn't worth the extra capital expense - see Part 1.

Good News - Most PC's are now running DX10+ hardware and have DX11+ installed and the current gen consoles both have DX11+ based gpu's so we should see more DX11+ games for the next few years.

Bad News - Microsoft are likely to lock DX12 to Windows 9+ like they did with DX10 & Vista to try to get more to upgrade thereby shooting themselves in the foot (yet again) by running us into the same issues, people will not upgrade their OS for greater DX support if there aren't enough games to warrent the upgrade and games companies will not make the games if there aren't enough potential customers to sell to and the cycle continues once again.

And now for something completely different.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by zaph0d View Post
    ... Bad News - Microsoft are likely to lock DX12 to Windows 9+ like they did with DX10 & Vista ....
    I kind of agree with you right up to this point. Vista had a completely different code base to XP, and to me it makes sense not to backport DX10 to the older Windows version - I suspect it would have been a lot of extra work. When Win 7 / DX11 came out, Vista got a DX11 update, which makes sense as it's the same major version so much less work.

Win 9 is likely to be another 6.X release, which means the same major version as 8/7/Vista. I could see them not supporting Vista on DX12, as Vista never really got mass market traction, but - unless they don't care about developers using the new API - I can't see them ignoring the massive installed Win 7 user base.

Of course, the other thing DX11 brought to the table was hardware support fallback. Anyone who has a DX9 card running under Win 7 is almost certainly actually running DX11 on it - you can code DX11 to fall back to DX9 mode (this is how 3DMark runs its DX9 and DX10 benchmarks). Assuming DX12 has the same feature, it should be very tempting for devs to develop in DX12 knowing they can create fallback profiles for DX11, 10, and 9 and support a wider range of hardware - particularly if the DX12 features allow them to get closer to the metal and eliminate some of the threading bottleneck that persuaded AMD to pursue Mantle in the first place...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

TBH, I cannot see them making it Windows 9 only. They just had a hellish time pushing MUI out there.....they don't want to anger people further and this seems quite a knee-jerk reaction to mantle.......so why would you make such an announcement (due to being afraid you might lose developers to other platforms) and then not support ANY of your current installed userbase?

But then again, it is Microsoft and they do feel they can do what they want (and to a certain degree, they are right...)
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Don't confuse open standards with open source. DX11 is (afaik) an open API that can be implemented by any vendor - and I guess theoretically[1] it should even be possible to do an open port of DX to any platform (much the way .NET was ported by the mono project).
    Hmm, maybe I'm being a "negative nellie" but I suspect anyone trying to reverse engineer DX11 to do a "compatible" would get a phalanx of Microsoft lawyers bombarding them with "cease and desist" orders. Now DX11 source, that might be interesting...

Good point about Mono - I've dabbled with that and, I'm ashamed to say, while it was a bit limited it was actually pretty darned good. Maybe Microsoft had a point about it being better than Java (not bleedin' difficult)?
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    TBH, I cannot see them making it Windows 9 only. They just had a hellish time pushing MUI out there.....they don't want to anger people further and this seems quite a knee-jerk reaction to mantle.......so why would you make such an announcement (due to being afraid you might lose developers to other platforms) and then not support ANY of your current installed userbase?
    There's a flipside to that argument though. Make DX12 "compelling" and don't allow it on any non-MUI platform and you've got a siren-song to encourage gamers to switch from "nasty old" Windows 7 to the "newie MUI hotness" (to paraphrase Will Smith in MiB). And that is a big deal for Microsoft - make MUI "comfortable" to a lot more folks and get those millions of dollars in upgrade fees. Then, as pointed out elsewhere, there's the "halo" effect that WP8 becomes a deal more attractive.

I honestly can't see me being able to avoid Windows 9. Ignoring that it might actually be pretty decent, I suspect that there will be a lot of new tech or new features that will require Windows 9. Heck, as long as I can import my Windows 7 user easily then bring it on.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Isn't it about time to stop calling it DirectX? There's hardly anything left of DirectX other than Direct3D. Now, if they could see their way to introducing hardware accelerated audio again...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abychristy View Post
    Well this means better GPU and quality games and it should be beter than Mantle .
    Why on earth would DX12 be better than mantle?! M$, - a company full of greedy idiots - is trying to trim down a fat and bloated mess of an API to make it run faster.
    AMD, - a company that knows how games and GPU's work as well as anyone - is aiming to build the perfect API from scratch.

Registered+
    Thanks

So MANTLE or DX12? Hmm... time will tell.

Thanks

When I read the headline I thought that Mantle is already dead, but after reading through the comments I'm starting to think that this might be good for Mantle and all gamers.

Thread Information