Thread: News - AMD releases Mantle and TrueAudio patch for Thief

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - AMD releases Mantle and TrueAudio patch for Thief

With observed performance speed-ups of nearly 50 per cent.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: News - AMD releases Mantle and TrueAudio patch for Thief

The reverb effect was pretty spectacular in Baldur's Gate (how long ago was that?) with the right sound card. So a bit of deja-vu, but at least good deja-vu. Hopefully we will get some articles on whether true-audio is any good.

Edited post: To early in the morning to read the table accurately.

The Ace
    Thanks

FX-8350 with that boost in performance is really great by Mantle , Wish there was an option to convert all games in Mantle

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by abychristy View Post
    FX-8350 with that boost in performance is really great by Mantle , Wish there was an option to convert all games in Mantle
    But Mantle only saw a 5% boost on Intel. Valve got a boost of 14% on an i7 by switching to OpenGL on Windows.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...ven-on-windows

So there is an option, it is available now, very stable and cross platform.

Edit to add: Before someone flames me, I know they are not similar games, processors or graphics cards, but my point was that they got good gains with a high end cpu where Mantle doesn't seem so useful.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Medallish's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-9590 @ 5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX 2400 2X8GB @ 2133MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB, 3TB Seagate 7200RPM
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2X Asus Direct CU II TOP AMD Radeon HD 7970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama Prolite B2888UHSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • 50/5Gbps Down/up

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abychristy View Post
    But Mantle only saw a 5% boost on Intel. Valve got a boost of 14% on an i7 by switching to OpenGL on Windows.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...ven-on-windows

So there is an option, it is available now, very stable and cross platform.

Edit to add: Before someone flames me, I know they are not similar games, processors or graphics cards, but my point was that they got good gains with a high end cpu where Mantle doesn't seem so useful.
    Mantle is about giving developers more control over the code, currently with things like DirectX developers don't get much control over the HW, And yeah you can't compare it at all they were very different configurations

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I'm still not sure if I am more impressed by the gains or how much CPU time games are suddenly starting to eat up....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by Medallish View Post
    Mantle is about giving developers more control over the code, currently with things like DirectX developers don't get much control over the HW, And yeah you can't compare it at all they were very different configurations
    As far as I can tell, it's about offsetting the deficit in performance of AMD's own CPUs. Still, if you happen to have an AMD CPU, GPU, & the right game, all power to you

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Not really.

The point of OpenGL like all APIs is to actively avoid getting too close to the hardware, because in the long haul it is a stupid thing to do. It locks you into a specific generation of hardware, makes testing harder, and promotes poor optimisation practices.

The point of DirectX is to try an stop people using OpenGL because Microsoft want only Microsoft technologies on Windows regardless of what is best for the consumer.

Mantle strikes me as a product of developers who haven't been around long enough to see this sort of history repeat over and over again. If you get more control over the hardware, then you get to fix it when it breaks. You get to tune it for every single variant of graphics card out there because you get to control how things go down the pipes. All the scheduling, resource management, error checking, porting and tuning issues, you want an API to own and deal with those.

I tried to explain why I mentioned the Valve benchmark but I guess I should try again: People say this stuff only matters on AMD processors. Valve demonstrated an improvement using a monster Intel 6 core, quad memory channel i7 that can turbo to 3.8GHz. People spend a lot of money for a 14% faster cpu, but the common thread here is simply "Don't use DirectX" and you can get that sort of boost for free.

Sorry if that got a bit rambling & ranty, think I need some lunch.

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    The point of DirectX is to try an stop people using OpenGL because Microsoft want only Microsoft technologies on Windows regardless of what is best for the consumer.
    I think that's true of any commercial organisation, though. They only seem to "want what's best for consumers" when that happens to coincide with what's best for their profit-margin. Of course AMD are exactly the same: if they can persuade games developers to adopt Mantle as their preferred API, it will help shift their CPUs, APUs, & GPUs. The sad fact that most games use DirectX is just about the only thing that keeps me on the Windows platform.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Medallish's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-9590 @ 5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Kingston HyperX 2400 2X8GB @ 2133MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB, 3TB Seagate 7200RPM
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2X Asus Direct CU II TOP AMD Radeon HD 7970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama Prolite B2888UHSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • 50/5Gbps Down/up

Uhm no Mantle is DEFINITELY about giving developers more control, the other point is that it's a modern take on rendering where OpenGL and DirectX have roots in 19 year old software, and requires a lot of work to get working as good, Oxide mentions this about their RTS engine, how they needed to do a ton of work to get proper multithreading on DirectX, where on Mantle it was a lot more straight forward.

People really shouldn't get too worked up on the whole CPU thing because too many people seem to think that Mantle is simply DX or OGL with better threading, and it most certainly isn't. The main advantage of Mantle will likely never be obvious to the end users, as it's software that appeals more to developers.

The reason why the Valve OGL numbers doesn't at all compare is also it's an entirely differnt engine, so the advantages they gained from moving and optimizing to OpenGL doesn't compare at all to what gains AMD get with Mantle on a customized UE3 engine.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

The reason why the Valve OGL numbers doesn't at all compare is also it's an entirely differnt engine, so the advantages they gained from moving and optimizing to OpenGL doesn't compare at all to what gains AMD get with Mantle on a customized UE3 engine.
    There I have to disagree. Did you read the Valve article? The initial port was a massive drop in performance to unplayable levels, then not only did they customize their engine but they also got help from Nvidia. So it was a customized engine. It went faster by removing some of the API overhead, exactly what Mantle claims to do.

So from what I am seeing Mantle is re-inventing the wheel and that annoys me.

If you think I have some bias here, perhaps I do. I have an embedded programming background. There are millions of devices out there where my code is hitting the metal directly, and even with the absolute control over hardware that you get in an embedded system you have to be on your toes and basically you have to create your own abstraction APIs or your next hardware version is going to bite you. Now, apologies to any game devs reading because I know there are good ones, but most of the game devs I have had to work with have simply not been up to that sort of job. They did however have a mentality where if something was complicated (usually for a reason) then they would dismiss it as not necessary rather than understand it and claim that it was historic baggage that needed re-writing. If you carefully explain the corner cases that the code is covering, you get told that it works fine on the developer's desk with all that removed and if other people are having problems it must be their fault.

So I have a low opinion of the games industry (backed up by countless crashes of games that I have purchased) plus a low opinion of the politics involved in graphics APIs.

OpenGL is an established cross platform open standard. It is available now. Hopefully the number of people exposed to OpenGL ES on mobile devices will get it some more mindshare.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • WrATHZer0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A97 EVO R2
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 6300@4Ghz - 1866FSB
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance (1866)
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB/500GB Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Twin Frozr GTX 660 2GB
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI PC-60FN
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC F22+

Uhm no Mantle is DEFINITELY about giving developers more control, the other point is that it's a modern take on rendering where OpenGL and DirectX have roots in 19 year old software, and requires a lot of work to get working as good, Oxide mentions this about their RTS engine, how they needed to do a ton of work to get proper multithreading on DirectX, where on Mantle it was a lot more straight forward.

People really shouldn't get too worked up on the whole CPU thing because too many people seem to think that Mantle is simply DX or OGL with better threading, and it most certainly isn't. The main advantage of Mantle will likely never be obvious to the end users, as it's software that appeals more to developers.

Except that DirectX is more than just a graphics API, it's developers that haven't used it right because they use their own code to override DirectX for console ports. Basically they want to use Mantle for graphics and hope every PC user has a Xbox controller so they don't have to use DirectX properly. The proof to that is the fact that games don't support third party controllers without some Xbox controller emulator. The whole idea of DirectX is that if you plug any thing into your computer and DirectX sees it, the game will use it, that's one reason why devs flocked to it in the 90s. AMD releasing a new graphics API and sound system is breaking that up again because they want a bigger foothold in the GPU/CPU market.

AMD are hypocrites, there is an API(OpenGL) that is a crossplatform open standard graphics API and yet their Linux drivers are poor still to this day and way behind NVIDIA on the open platforms. AMD has nothing in the workstation area, probably why their drivers are so bad with Linux and why they might end up like ATI and 3DFX being brought out because they lack serious proper commitment
    Last edited by WrATHZer0; 20-03-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Thread Information