Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: News - EU votes yes to universal mobile phone charger

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - EU votes yes to universal mobile phone charger

Move should save 51,000 tonnes of e-waste annually.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: News - EU votes yes to universal mobile phone charger

I was just looking forward to wireless charging taking off, I hope this doesn't scupper that.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

So just get apple to use MicroUSB and its already done?

Thanks

I just hope they run with the 'all batteries must be user replaceable' one that was mentioned a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Is this still the case with modern mobile phones, most I have seen use a micro-usb port for charging now.
    Jon

Thanks

I used wireless charging on my Lumia 920 when I had it, it worked ok and was quite handy though would have been more handy if it would have transmitted data as well.
    Jon

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    Is this still the case with modern mobile phones, most I have seen use a micro-usb port for charging now.
    Most but not all, iPhones and also tablets tend to use custom connectors. Tablets use them so they don't blow up a low-current USB charger which makes little sense given that USB is fairly good about indicating how much power can be drawn, you have to be actively trying to break the rules to create a dangerous charger.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

The vote was massively in favour of the draft new Radio Equipment Directive laws, being approved by 550 votes to 12 with 8 abstentions.
    550 for with only 20 against or "don't care" - yep, my definition of "massive" support.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I was just looking forward to wireless charging taking off, I hope this doesn't scupper that.
    Erm, can't see why it should - I thought this just said that if you wanted to use a cable then it had to be uUSB rather than some wierdo "we do this to preserve our monopoly" nonsense.
    So if someone - eg Nokia - wants to use wireless connection then they're still free to do that. Now the next step surely is to start fixing THOSE systems so they're interchangable wherever there's no technical reason not to do so (e.g. higher current).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    So just get apple to use MicroUSB and its already done?
    Pretty much - see my "wierdo" comment above. Dare say they'll moan and bitch about it being a "technically inferior solution" and how it's going to take months and cause great expense. Neither of which swings much weight with me because this EU move has been on the cards for months if not years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny_Y8S View Post
    It'll never happen.They're not going to force a manufacturer to fit a MicroUSB socket, so all Apple will have to do is supply their adaptor and charge the end user £15 more where at the moment it's optional.
    Yes it WILL happen - it's an EU directive, so if you don't like it then you don't sell in the EU. And note the Commission only gets to decide on what types of radio equipment need to use this standard. So unless Apple decides to reclassify the iPhone as "portable magical lifestyle device" then it's a mobile phone and the directive applies.
    So Apple will make more money. Users will pay more money. And everyone will continue using lightning connections for their charging just as they do now.
    If it's Apple's choice to charge the users then that's Apple's fault, not the EU. Or do you actually like having a drawer full of mutually incompatible charging bricks and leads? I know I don't
    Hate it being 'non-standard' or not, but lighting cables are the current Apple standard and they are a great connector. Having a reversible plug with rounded corners is smoother to plug in that MicroUSB and less likely to catch and scratch.
    Agree here, actually quite like the Lightning connector, especially the fact that it fits either way - sometimes getting that micro-D connector the "right way up" is a real nuisance. Maybe Apple should have been lobbying to get IT made the standard rather than uUSB, but then it would have had to be an open, free-to-all technology rather than Apple's usual "mine, and you can't have it" attitude.
    Rather than waste everyone's time with making silly laws like this. Why not enforce manufacturers to make devices in a responsible, ethical and sustainable way?
    Try reading the article - the ideal is to cut the amount of unnecessary waste going to landfill in the shape of old chargers, and also to make it a lot easier for us consumers - not being forced to buy the equipment makers own cables etc. So to call it "silly" is a horrible piece of UKIPism.

Actually I'd be really happy if they extended the reach of this directive to cover tablets. I think it's ludicrous that my Samsung tablet can't use the charger/cable that I got for my Asus tablet and vice-versa, despite them both having the same electrical needs.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I agree that it has made my life far easier - multiple devices with MicroUSB ports means I can have MicroUSB chargers available in many rooms and charge anything, anywhere, when I need to.

But what happens when MicroUSB goes the way of the dodo? The USB forum is designing a "lightning-like" USB port as the next generation USB interface - a small, reversible socket. Will phones that use this for data also require a MicroUSB port for compatibility (or an adapter)? Or will this regulation be updated to keep up with technological changes?

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Its unlikely they'll come to a common connector, but at the moment (apple excepted) we already have a common charger, i.e. a usb socket. I'd guess its pretty difficult now to buy any kind of consumer portable equipment that doesn't charge off a USB socket, certainly phones etc all will, all you need is a standard for the charger to tell the device how much power it can draw (which USB has) and stopping manufacturers building in extra stuff so only their chargers work (I've not had an iDevice for a long time, but I know my OH's ipad 2 is finickity about what chargers it likes, portapow, asus are both fine, LG not).

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I hope it does.

Wireless charging is currently a terrible solution that solves that awful problem of 'It takes me 2.1 seconds' to plug in my phone.

IF wireless charging didn't waste 30% of the electricity, and IF it wasn't so damn slow, and IF wireless charging had one universal standard, and IF wireless charging didn't heat up the device unnecessarily then it would be great.

But it's inefficient, non standardised, slow and heats up the device when we all know heat is bad for lipo cells.

Works great on my toothbrush though!
    Couldn't agree more, wireless charging currently is in every way inferior to wired charging, it's pretty hard to use it whilst charging as well without headsets etc. It's really only of use in sealed devices like toothbrushes.

Few problems spring to mind with the "standard charger", it could become limiting if companies need to enhance a product somehow and want to combine it with charging (e.g. built in Powerline ethernet in the charger). What happens when USB connectors are like floppy disks now? Are they going to standardise the charger to 1A/2A etc, not all devices have equal current demands... I bet all new phones will still come supplied with one thus leaving people with an old one floating about when the reason for replacement was loss or theft etc. Actually the more I think about it the less great it seems in reality, it's mostly OK at the moment anyway in the most things can be plugged into a USB port and get some power if the port supplies enough.
    Last edited by kingpotnoodle; 17-03-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks

Truth is it's nothing new, the standard for mobile phone chargers is already there, it's just being expanded, most of the mobile manufacturers including Apple signed up to an EU Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in 2009 for the adoption of a Common charger. This was a voluntary pact that they would all move towards the adoption of the standards for use of a common charger for handheld, data-enabled devices.

The standard called for devices to be able to accept a 5V charge at the same levels as the USB voltage standard. The charger specification for the common charger was defined as having a micro-USB-B connector and either hard-wired to the outlet connection (plug) or connected via a USB-A connector.

People have complained that Apple have not complied by still using a proprietary connector but they are in fact in compliance. The iPhone does indeed charge from a 5V USB level voltage, and if you use an adaptor you could connect it to a common standard charger, and use of an adaptor is allowed in the standard.

What has actually changed, but most of the press listed as an aside, is the expansion of the standard, to not just include handheld mobiles, but any "product which intentionally emits or receives radio waves for communication"- so tablets, modems, garage door remotes etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    Couldn't agree more, wireless charging currently is in every way inferior to wired charging, it's pretty hard to use it whilst charging as well without headsets etc. It's really only of use in sealed devices like toothbrushes.

Few problems spring to mind with the "standard charger", it could become limiting if companies need to enhance a product somehow and want to combine it with charging (e.g. built in Powerline ethernet in the charger). What happens when USB connectors are like floppy disks now? Are they going to standardise the charger to 1A/2A etc, not all devices have equal current demands... I bet all new phones will still come supplied with one thus leaving people with an old one floating about when the reason for replacement was loss or theft etc. Actually the more I think about it the less great it seems in reality, it's mostly OK at the moment anyway in the most things can be plugged into a USB port and get some power if the port supplies enough.
    It doesn't seem that long ago that charging by USB was really bad, the low voltage and low current available limited what the phone manufacturer could do and a "proper" high voltage charger seemed better in every way. Things improved, now it works well.

I have two USB leads by the side of my bed for charging stuff. A charging mat would be so convenient compared to finding where the cable has dropped to on the floor of an evening, but if the phone company is forced to include a usb charging socket then they may well never bother with new technology, so it won't get improved to the point that you see it as useful.

If you aren't convinced, how about micro displayport? With DockPort extensions that gives you charging, display and usb3 in a single connector. If that is banned then someone needs a damned good kicking.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

@crossy - think those probably just scrape into the compliancy box

@ jenny_y8s While the adaptors might be compliant with the EU directive, aspects of your post referring to crossy were not compliant with HEXUS rules on posting. However, I have applied the appropriate scalpel and now it is.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Mobile phone charging sorted - EU PM's can go home knowing they've done their bit of hard work

Ukraine can wait another day......

Thanks

With the move towards waterproof phones, being able to charge your phone without breaking the water seals starts to make sense.
    Sony's attempts with pogo pins in a nice idea except for the 3 handsets with them all have different pin spacing.

It is quite amusing in an office when someone needs to borrow a phone charger. Plenty of microusb leads going spare, and old apple connector if you're lucky. But lightning apple connector you're on your own

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information