Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Record companies ask ISPs to provide illegal downloader data

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Record companies ask ISPs to provide illegal downloader data

UK’s big four; BT, Virgin Media, BSkyB and Talk Talk are all about to be put under the cosh.
    Read more.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: News - Record companies ask ISPs to provide illegal downloader data

Clearly this law doesn't have an ounce of legitimacy. It's no wonder the government is keeping implementation off as long as possible. Knowing that, why are they not working to strike it off the books?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

I've always wondered how they track illegal downloads.
    I mean I know about torrents and how they can track you using them.

What about when it comes to downloading from fileshare websites like rapidshare and the rest?
    Could they possibly get a list of every single website visited?

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Lil-Diabo View Post
    I've always wondered how they track illegal downloads.
    I mean I know about torrents and how they can track you using them.

What about when it comes to downloading from fileshare websites like rapidshare and the rest?
    Could they possibly get a list of every single website visited?
    They can't get reliable figures. Every one of the figures about downloading cited are guesstimates, too many of them simply just pulled out of their asses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

5. Received thanks from:

pollaxe (02-09-2013)

Thanks

Just out of interest have the film and music companies heard about data protection?

ISPs would need my permission to share such information. I bet the current DPA permissions that we all sign up to when taking broadband do not cover this point.

So what the film and music companies are proposing is illegal. Maybe some consumer organisation should take them to court for conspiring to carry out illegal activities

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

I am curious as to who is actually pirating music still in this day and age.

When I was a lad it was first .midi files, then mp3 explosion happened. It was honestly the easiest way of getting music.

Music industry has always had a kind of differential pricing. Poor people listen to the radio, then when vinyl became popular, richer people could listen to the song whenever they wanted, they didn't have to wait. The latter was more profitable, radio advertising wasn't as big at revenue extraction than buying the record.

But now, we have this for free. Radio streaming services provide music to the poor for free with adverts (Musicovery,Pandora,Spotify Free, Xbox Music Free etc), then you have the slightly more well healed who go for Spotify Premium or Xbox Music Pass, but you also have those who spend even more cash buying the CD so they can have lossless.

You also have YouTube for a relatively, almost, play right now on demand type thing.

Who the hell still pirates music?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by cjs150 View Post
    ISPs would need my permission to share such information. I bet the current DPA permissions that we all sign up to when taking broadband do not cover this point.
    Actually, there's a specific exception in the DPA allowing the data controller to give personal information out for the prevention or detection of crime. As piracy is a crime, ISPs may give your personal information to someone who wishes to use it for detecting or preventing piracy. Baked into the DPA, nothing you can do about it, no special permissions required.

Thanks

I'll pirate an album that isn't available from itunes/amazon/emusic/google play/et al to try-before-you-buy. I'm not risking £30-£50 on importing a CD that turns out to be a lemon (though I'll happily pay that for something good).

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Animus - Many people do, it's still the easiest way of acquiring an album and also transferable to any device. Try using any of those services on a Sansa Clip or similar.

I can download pretty much any album I can think of in less than 1 minute thanks to Torrents. However given I'm now in my 30's my interest in new music has waned to the point where I'd rather just buy a physical CD of the albums I'm interested in these days (3 a year at a guess?). I've narrowed down toa few key bands I wish to support so won't pirate their materials from a purely moral stand point. I do sometimes buy the CD and download (illegally) the MP3 set as it's simply easier than ripping the CD!

Thanks
    • phil4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Core i7-3770K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 1866Mhz
      • Storage:
      • OS: OCZ Vertex 4 256Gb, Data: 3Tb Seagate HDD, Cache: OCZ Agility 4 128Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX 680 SC
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro Series AX
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 650D Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell U2410 Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre Unlimited 76/20

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I agree, there's almost no need. Since the services you mention I'd even go as far as saying that I don't even both to "keep music" anymore. If I want to listen to something, anything, there's a service that allows me to. Since it works on my phone and my PC, it's pretty much anywhere I need it.

As such I've not bought a CD in many years, and indeed don't even bother buying mp3s, and "keeping" music.

I'm not saying everyone is like this, but as the shift can occur so far towards not even having a music collection, then why you'd want/need to pirate is a bit beyond me.

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Crucial M4 + 1Tb Samsung F3 + 1Tb WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX570 Twin Frozer 2
      • PSU:
      • 700W Coolermaster Silent M Pro
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL & Dell 2312HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I am curious as to who is actually pirating music still in this day and age.

Agreed - there is no real need for most people to pirate music now. I use Nokia Music, YouTube and a fairly large back collection of music built up over the years so don't feel the need. The only ones I know who do pirate music tend to be struggling amateur DJs and the like. When I questioned why they said because they tend to consume a lot of music before they find something they like or would use and its not affordable otherwise. Any stuff they don't or use like they delete. Don't particularly agree with it but that's their business. Overall I can't imagine there many people who bother these days and certainly not enough to warrant music companies gaining access to our personal data.

I'd imagine the much bigger issue now is TV and Film. These companies need to pull their finger out and make their content more accessible in the same way Spotify etc has for music.
    the deals they make with companies like Sky and Virgin are outdated and basically encourage people to download stuff. You may only want to watch certain programmes like Game Of Thrones, Dexter or whatever yet you are pushed into subscribing to packages which include channels full of utter rubbish.

We need more services like Iplayer, Hulu and so on. I would happily pay a few quid per series for shows I really enjoyed rather than £30 a month for endless reality TV nonsense, DIY disasters etc...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    I'll pirate an album that isn't available from itunes/amazon/emusic/google play/et al to try-before-you-buy. I'm not risking £30-£50 on importing a CD that turns out to be a lemon (though I'll happily pay that for something good).
    I do something similar. If I like a track, I'll pull another couple from the album. If they're good, I'll buy it. If not, just the single. Likewise, for TV series that look interesting, I'll download the pilot and if it is any good, I'll buy the series. Where this is possible legitimately (e.g. amazon has samples from the songs on an album) or via you tube, I will. When they don't officially provide that service, it'd be a complete gamble as to what I'm getting if I didn't.

Re: TV series - I'd like to see ALL first episodes on these services either free or at least, purchasable individually with the option to then pay the difference to get the whole season, rather than having to pay full price for the season, even when I own part already - especially annoying with 6-episode miniseries type thingummies where that one episode is a significant proportion of the whole thing.

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

The only torrents I download now are US TV Series that are not yet airing in the UK. I stopped pirating music years ago, I don't really listen to music any more and when I do it's via youtube or the music channel / radio.

Likewise with pirating games, Steam sales has made it easier to buy games legitimately at a very decent price that I now prefer to wait 6 months for the game rather than playing immediately. At lease this way I can play online with friends or store the game into the cloud for future downloading.

Pirating is just a hassle, so luckily this ISP move won't effect me. Although I would still prefer my personal details to remain personal as we all know the music industry employs bullies as "lawyers" who think evidence is a concept and guilt is assumed.

How would this work with TOR users though? Won't they need to prove that the downloader was in fact you rather than a connection sharer?

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    If you're talking about non-mainstream bands then a lot of those have tracks available to listen to either on their own website or via SoundCloud. I'm a bit shocked by the figure you quote though - I can't see a single CD costing that much unless it's a bleedin' gold disk!
    Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    However given I'm now in my 30's my interest in new music has waned to the point where I'd rather just buy a physical CD of the albums I'm interested in these days (3 a year at a guess?). I've narrowed down to a few key bands I wish to support so won't pirate their materials from a purely moral stand point. I do sometimes buy the CD and download (illegally) the MP3 set as it's simply easier than ripping the CD!
    Going to agree with you on the above - most folks of our advanced age seem to want the entire album rather than cherry pick the "best" tracks. As one person said to me - there'll always be those tracks that don't impress, but after you've heard them a couple o' times you start to appreciate them. And there's so many potential sources that you're spoilt for choice - last month I bought the latest album by a Scottish violinist/singer I like - wasn't available locally so I ended up buying from Germany via a third party. Cost me about £12. Sometimes - if you look closely enough - the local HMV or supermarket has a CD I want, and it turns out to be cheaper than buying a "digital only" copy.

Oh and of course, if you're too rushed to rip the CD to your whatever, there's always Amazon's service. Buy the CD from them and then be able to download those tracks before the physical media (/backup?) arrives. Then again, DBPoweramp does a pretty good job of piling through an album, converting CD to nice digital tracks. But it'd please my wife more if I DID just buy a digital copy, because the "music cupboard" is now straining at the seams with CD's.

Getting back to the subject of the article, I'm heartened to see that at least two of the ISP's have told the BPI to get raffled. Like Lil-Diabo I'm curious where they get these pirate figures from - presumably they're not just counting folks using Rapidshare etc for exchanging MP3 files - since there's no guarantee that those MP3's ARE pirated.
    Last edited by crossy; 02-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Firstly nobody downloads music illegally anymore because of online playlists. As for TV BBC iPlayer and 4oD/5oD which provides USA network shows. Then there is android apps that stream TV channels. Then there is foxy proxy and other proxy applications which give access to Hulu. TV should go online and provide premium accounts to access full series to be downloaded, with free advertising infused accounts to watch there shows for free.

As for movies It's very easy to get a copy that's used off eBay for half the price, watch it an resell it for the same price. Thus watching the movie for free.

With game I have only download games through steam and origin. Most of the time when playing games I'm doing it online with friends, and everyone knows you cannot do it with illegal copies. I have only download games through torrents recently are games that are not published anymore and cannot be bought anywhere.

Thanks
    • ElManCub's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z68xud3p
      • CPU:
      • I72600k
      • Memory:
      • 8gb 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2x120gb ssd in raid + 2x320 hdd in raid
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX770
      • PSU:
      • Corsair hx850
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster storm enforcer
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22”lcd 2ms response rate
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 150mb

i like the advert that says piracy funds terrorism! but how when its a free download?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information