Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: Which upcoming tech will persuade you to upgrade your PC?

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Features - QOTW: Which upcoming tech will persuade you to upgrade your PC?

What's coming up that will dictate when you build again?
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

Re: Features - QOTW: Which upcoming tech will persuade you to upgrade your PC?

I'm waiting to see what intel's new i7 cpu's are like, if there is no real improvement i'll be getting a 4770k in the summer and putting it on a z97 mini itx board. At first i'll be using my current AMD 5870 in my new system while I save up for a new card, however i'm interested in Nvidia's mid-high end Maxwell cards if they ever come along.

That would be the only tech i'm waiting to hear about but I have just purchased a case and will be purchasing the cooling hardware on payday (end of the month:-( ) Then SSD, HDD's the next month by which time I hope intel will have released there new chips and z97 boards will be available !
    Last edited by DemonHighwayman; 25-04-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: punctuation update

Thanks
    • LeetyMcLeet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Auros X570 Master 1.2
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB 3600 DDR3 (G.Skill Trident Z)
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 980 Pro PCIe NVMe, 2 x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA3, 2 x 6TB WD Black 3.5'' HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3070Ti (MSI SUPRIM)
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design 7 Dark with TG Window
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ/Zowie XL @ 1080p, 240Hz
      • Internet:
      • BT Business FTTC/VDSL ~ 50Mbps

For me it's always graphics card(s). As a rule of thumb I only replace the core components every 4-5 years. The i5/i7's are so good, as long as you've got a decent amount of memory and at least 1 SSD for your games, all you gotta replace is the GPU every couple of years.

To answer the question though, 4k monitors definitely interest me. Just waiting for monitor tech to mature and the prices to fall and buy around the same time as a capable GPU upgrade.

Thanks

With the DK2 arriving sometime in July, that's when I'll start looking for GPU upgrades if the ol' GTX670 can't push a solid 75FPs (or more accurately, a solid sub-13ms rendering time) in most situations. Waiting for Maxwell to deploy in earnest is the other gate, either for buying a newer card or taking advantage of older cards dropping in price.

On the CPU side, there's still no upgrade from the 2500K that's anything more than marginal outside of edge-case workloads like video encoding and ray-tracing. Certainly not in single-threaded applications.

Registered+
    Thanks

Probably once the IPS/PVA g-sync or AMD-equivalent monitors hit the shops in a big way. Got enough raw horsepower already, now just need to improve the other parts .

Thanks
    • Nobull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H67MA-E45
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair Value Select 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair F60 SSD + 2.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD6950 2GB
      • PSU:
      • CM Silent Pro Gold 600W
      • Case:
      • CM Elite 370
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Syncmaster P2450

Not sure, last two GPU generations seem to have been quite incremental improvements, especially with all the rebadging nonsense and it's generally GPU I look to upgrade more often but I can't see anything coming along particularly soon that will warrant the outlay to replace my 6950 (which has unlocked shaders and clocks of a 6970), certainly not at 1080p. I'd definitely be interested in buying a higher res monitor which would then perhaps push me to upgrade the GPU, but they're still so ridiculously overpriced. Even 2560x1400 monitors are like 3 times the price of 1080p one, which just seems bonkers.

Thanks

As other have said, we seem to be in a bit of a tech plateau at the moment - if you've upgraded your core PC in the last few years, chances are there's not much to get excited about at the moment. Even the new SSD connectors are merely icing on the already turbo-charged SSD cake.

We need one of the major players to deliver a big jump, for a change (like we used to see 10 years ago) rather than the 10% refreshes we're currently seeing Certainly if we're going to jump to 4k, we *need* that big jump to caclulate/feed those pixels...

Registered+
    Thanks

A decent 30+ inch 4k - 120htz+ - Gsync.

Then i'd possibly go xeons from a hexacore i've got.

To me there is no point to do anything until the gsync is a standard with gaming in 4k.

Registered+
    Thanks

Faster CPUs, both Intel and AMD need to make a jump here. I'm still using a Phenom X4 960T and there's been no reason to upgrade from it. My motherboard however is holding me back a little since it only has SATA2 support and I do have a Samsung 840 pro, so all I really need is some new CPU to be compelling enough to make me ditch the combo.

Video cards seem to be a couple generations away until we are able to play 4K @ 60 FPS with upper mainstream cards (the GTX 760/R9 270x equivalent). The intermediate screens (2560x1440 et al) don't seem to be lowering in price at the same pace of 4K, so that alternative is immediately discarded by me.

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

I'm running a bit low on GPU power (2 x 680M) so I'll probably upgrade when for £300 or so you can get high if not highest settings in most games while running at UHD resolution. Since that might take a while I'll upgrade a bit earlier. Oh, more cores too because I'm finding 4 aren't really enough (video work, rendering) and paying £2000 for a 12 core CPU isn't that appealing. I should probably just look into distributing these tasks and then buying racks full of consumer gear.

Thanks
    • jnutt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32gig DDR 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 1tb NVME M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2070Super
      • PSU:
      • Stock
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 32" and 24"
      • Internet:
      • Cable 350mb

gotta be graphics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gonchuki View Post
    My motherboard however is holding me back a little since it only has SATA2 support and I do have a Samsung 840 pro
    You won't notice.

That's the problem. SSD's are the only thing to come along and make a big statement, speed wise. Yeah, a new graphics card might give you a boost, depending on what you're upgrading from, but the PC world is so stagnant.

I'm running a I7 920 at home. Would I notice if I upgraded to a current I7? Only if I was encoding a large video. Heck, I'm not even sure if I could tell the difference between my Q6600 at work and current top-end consumer CPU without benchmarking.

In the same time-frame, 2000 to 2007, we went from a year old Pentium 3 (Cliff ****ing Richard still had a number 1 single to come out) to what most of us are using currently, the architecturally identical quad-core CPU. I know the industry was bound to slow down, but it's almost stalled.

The whole IT industry, hardware and software, is so disillusioning at the moment.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 25-04-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    • tigertop1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53
      • CPU:
      • Corei5-2600K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD +2TB Hard drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 560Ti
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom
      • Operating System:
      • W7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer GD245-HQ

I agree with Spiralking. A sensibly priced 4k monitor with 120Hz would get me planning a new set up but probably retaining my overclocked 2500K and Nvidia 760 as the basis of it. I don't see any signs of a price reduction on 4k on the near horizon ----but maybe by end 2014 ?

Thanks
    • zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

I'm with this_is_gav, I've got an i7 920 and will stick with it for a while yet I think.
    The i7's since have indeed been pretty incremental, the only advantage is oc'ing from the 3.8 I'm at now to 4.4-4.6 with the SB-E / IB-E and it's not with the £500 for a 15-20% boost in CPU.
    Maybe teh Haswell-EX due in Q3 with the quad DDR4 will be better... yeah probably not.

OilSheikh

Not sure, things are wayyy fast as it is

Thanks

Star Citizen. Whatever it takes to play it in 4K when that puppy arrives.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information