• bluepumpkin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77A GD55
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 850 EVO 250GB SSD (OS) + 840 EVO 250GB SSD (Steam)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX480
      • PSU:
      • Antec TP-650
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama E2274HDS
      • Internet:
      • 60MB Cable

Re: News - Global PC games market revenue overtakes consoles

Quote Originally Posted by Amantus View Post
    I think it's not so much that the PC is a necessity, rather than a proper computer keyboard is a necessity.
    I think this is the real point, my wife has a tablet she uses for most things but she cannot work from home on it, the screen is to small (10") and she requires a full sized keyboard to type at any speed. I suspect that if in the house we had a tablet dock in place connecting to monitor/keyboard/mouse she could use that happily but at this moment in time touch screens do not provide the typing speed required for large work projects

Registered+
    Thanks

There was a lot of talk about the decline of the PC, As everyone had a Tab and would now do everything sitting on there 3 seater, Has turned out to be a load of rubbish, I have an Android and Apple Tab, But wouldn't be without my Desktop or Laptop, And the amount of stuff that still needs flash is unbelievable, And we still get visits from friends who only have an iPhone and iPad in the house cos it's the cool thing to do, Right up to the point they have to print something or fill out one of them twenty page forms.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by babylon100 View Post
    And we still get visits from friends who only have an iPhone and iPad in the house cos it's the cool thing to do, Right up to the point they have to print something or fill out one of them twenty page forms.
    There's quite a few ways now of allowing tablets to print - especially if the printer you're talking about is one of the newer wireless ones. Quick look around iTAS might solve their problem. Of course I could put in a quick sales pitch for HP's "ePrint" features, but I'll spare you that ...

That aside, I know what you're getting at - especially with web forms. Really annoys me some of the sites see an Android device and automatically assume that you want the "mobile" view - even if you're using Chrome with the default set to "Use Desktop View".

Getting back to the article though, comments above make a good point - tablets (iPad and Android) have got to be stealing some appreciable market share from the casual gaming use of consoles. Which isn't good news for Nintendo, because the Wii U seems to be built around that market.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

My PC is using a 5 year old Radeon HD 5770 1GB, a 4 year old AMD Athlon II X4 620 @2.6ghz, and only 4GB DDR3 RAM. It's a PC you could get for dirt cheap today (it was pretty cheap back then). It STILL plays the latest games at 1080p at least 30fps on medium settings (BF4, BO2 and the likes), but often 60fps on high (Grid 2, WG:ALB, SimCity and the likes).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information