Thread: Features - Michael Meeks: The spreadsheet is dead. Long live the spreadsheet!

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Features - Michael Meeks: The spreadsheet is dead. Long live the spreadsheet!

GM of Collabora Productivity, Michael Meeks, blogs about GPU-accelerated Calc.
    Read more.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Features - Michael Meeks: The spreadsheet is dead. Long live the spreadsheet!

OK, maybe this is coming at it just from my little corner of the world, investment finance, mostly derivs, but this isn't going to help at all.

The bottleneck on some of these spreadsheets (and boy, I've seen them, the worst was in 2006, running on Office XP, a 285meg behemoth, I didn't know it would let them get so big.) it wasn't due to formula references. It was due to bespoke libraries that were called via Excel formula. These wouldn't run on a GPU.

Then we get to the fact that you want predictive branching for a lot of these formula, which GPUs suck at.

Can't help but think this is a bandwagon hop-on.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: Features - Michael Meeks: The spreadsheet is dead. Long live the spreadsheet!

Interesting posting/article.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    OK, maybe this is coming at it just from my little corner of the world, investment finance, mostly derivs, but this isn't going to help at all. ... It was due to bespoke libraries that were called via Excel formula. These wouldn't run on a GPU. ... Can't help but think this is a bandwagon hop-on.
    If you're doing stuff outside of Calc then sure, it's pretty obvious that them optimising the Calc engine isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. Then again, if you're dependent on external libraries would you be looking at Calc as an Excel replacement? Probably not.

You're right that it's not going to noticeably help everyone - but on the other hand if they've done work on getting a better sheet engine then that's surely worth an "attaboy" on principle? Plus if they've got the ability to seamlessly select the "best" engine for the job - CPU or GPU - then that's also worthy of some praise surely?

I suspect that it's the engineering and science users that'll be able to make best use of the new features. And yes, I realise that AMD aren't being altruistic - they want to sell their APU's etc. On the other hand, the accusation of "bandwagoning" is maybe a bit harsh. Like I said, "we" get an improved engine out of it, so I'm not that bothered if AMD are driving it, I assume that given it's OpenCL based that it'll work fine on NVidia and Intel gear anyway. Not something you could say if NVidia were the partner because it's an easy assumption that they'd want CUDA used.

Problem is that Joe Public isn't that bothered about calc'ing mult-mega datasets, they just want their accounts to look pretty. And I'm afraid that Excel is still the best tool for the job for that kind of thing.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

While it may not provide real-world performance increases for most, I applaud the use of GPGPU to start accelerating all floating point operations. The future will be much better for it once it becomes standard.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I am actually surprised that the Intel chip came off so badly.

There are some OpenCL benchmarks that Intel actually do rather well at. If you are crunching really really big data, then yes the Intel chip will lose as it just doesn't have the raw GPU horsepower, but the different cache structure on the Intel chip sometimes give it an advantage.

I suspect once AMD have done all the hard work, Intel will pop in with a bit of a tweak to get performance parity

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Take Human Resources, keeping track of staff attendance. A spreadsheet is created, then more and more data is added over time, with formulae extended to crunch it. The value of doing this might initially be to help the sales team understand whether people buy more red cars on a Tuesday, but the complexity quickly grows. Are people more likely to buy red cars with the performance pack and alloys on the Friday after pay day, for example?
    Why is Human Resources concerning itself with the cars that the company's staff buy? And what's so important about the the day of the week and the colour and options? ;o)

Thread Information