Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Adobe fixes Creative Cloud outage, sorry for full day lockout

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Adobe fixes Creative Cloud outage, sorry for full day lockout

The outage prevented many users from accessing their pricey subs-paid software.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Adobe fixes Creative Cloud outage, sorry for full day lockout

It was only a matter of time before an outage caused embarrassment to Adobe and potential loss of revenue to their customers.

It's the downside of a monopoly - customers need to vote with their mice and not just meekly accept these revenue-focused subscription models. Look at the number of U-turns Microsoft have made recently. Things can be changed, but I fear the will isn't there in the design community. Gamers are more militant, which usually works in their favour.

3. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (16-05-2014),Output (16-05-2014)

AlexKitch

Use the cloud, they said. It'll be fiiiiine, they said

Thanks

And this is why I don't like subscriptions which 'rely' on the cloud... 1 day without access can cost a days pay for a business.

Oh and I just love the 'apology', a real apology would have offered them something as a gesture of good will, some businesses may have actually lost a LOT of money from one day of outages.

Suppose I better update my t&c's just in case I ever go subscription based to include 'I can't be held responsible for delays caused by 'cloud service outages'....

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    And this is why I don't like subscriptions which 'rely' on the cloud... 1 day without access can cost a days pay for a business.

Oh and I just love the 'apology', a real apology would have offered them something as a gesture of good will, some businesses may have actually lost a LOT of money from one day of outages.

Suppose I better update my t&c's just in case I ever go subscription based to include 'I can't be held responsible for delays caused by 'cloud service outages'....
    Exactly. It's partly why I don't like, and won't use, this kind of subscription service. It's not the only reason, but it's certainly part of it.

Even worse, IMHO, is Steam. There, you get to pay for your games, then risk getting held to ransom by a 'free' service that you need to have access to to use what you bought.

Thanks

Heck, I even have a stand-alone license program from them, NOT A CLOUD VERSION, which they locked out because it does a registered user check on launching now? 25 year user, now looking seriously another product and firm!

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

You'd think it'd be easy enough to build-in a 48 hour 'benefit of the doubt' period for previously verified users, whereby failure to sync with the Cloud for whatever reason (including ISP issues) would give you the ability keep going for the 'grace' period. Just locking people out is ridiculous...there must've been millions of creative professionals tearing their hair out over this.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbobgod1969 View Post
    You'd think it'd be easy enough to build-in a 48 hour 'benefit of the doubt' period for previously verified users.
    Nope. It's another weekness to be exploited. Software licensing and rights management is difficult, it's a loosing battle.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • mark_a_scott's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus RoG Rampage V Edition 10
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6950X
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator DDR4-2400 128GB
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2, 2TB Samsung 850 Evo, 2x 6TB WD Green, Blu-Ray Writer, DVD Writer
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x eVGA GTX980Ti 6GB in SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Vivid 200Mb/s

I pay under £1 a day for the full Creative Suite software package and I get updates to all the latest software and run it on both my PC and my Mac, A lot cheaper than buying the equivelent Master Suite edition outright.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark_a_scott View Post
    I pay under £1 a day for the full Creative Suite software package and I get updates to all the latest software and run it on both my PC and my Mac, A lot cheaper than buying the equivelent Master Suite edition outright.....
    unless things have changed recently (can't be bothered to check, but there was 'talk' of getting photoshop after x years) if you stop paying you no longer have access to the software (allowing 'trial period' grace)..... ie you don't actually own anything, you're just renting it. That isn't the case if you buy it outright....

Not to mention their lovely 'UK premium'.... online software should not cost different prices, outside of taxes, depending on where you are based....it's not like they send the files from a different server
    Last edited by LSG501; 18-05-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It might be if you use it every day, but for those of use that might use it a few hours a month, but have been doing so for 20-ish years (since v3) it's a very expensive way of doing it.

My last couple of upgrade cycles have been when I needed to upgrade in order to continue to qualify. So, IIRC, CS2 to CS5, and that was, what, 4 or 5 years. Call it 4.5 for argument's sake. So, 4.5x365 days is 1642.5 days. Cost? About £180, IIRC. so, 11p a day. For Photoshop.

But that's not my concern. I know, when I lay out that £180, that that's ALL it's going to cost me, unless I choose to upgrade again. And if I don't, I can still be using my current version in 2 years, or 20 years.

The rental method suits some users. I get Adobe offering it. It makes sense for some. But for others, it has driven a large wedge between us, and forced me to stick with my current version, while I evaluate alternative products, to which I will switch at some suitable point. Because personally, I'm NOT paying for my software on rental. Not for Adobe, not for MS. Not for anybody.

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

Subs made me jump ship to Gimp Shop, Inkscape, and still continue to use AE CS3.
    One can never stop saying Thank You

Thanks
    • nitro912gr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II x6 1090T
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB Kingstone Beast 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850 250GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon 7850 DD 1GB
      • PSU:
      • XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster N300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2313HM

I was considering CC for my office, but after this I will just go for CS6 until I will figure out what to do. I have spent years in education to be able to work fast and efficiently with adobe tools but now it seems adobe is giving me the finger.
    I have started using open source alternatives to learn them but I never heard of that Serif suite, is it any good?

The thing is you give about 700 euros per year for that tools, while before you could give an amount from 1600 (with VAT) to 2500 but use it for more than just a year. After all you could still update with the discount offer for a couple of versions after yours, or if the new tools didn't worth it, you could just go for longer periods of time with your pricey software. So it is not the price that make any big difference here.

Now you get the latest and greatest but you have way less control over the license you paid. Like the problem demonstrated.
    I don't want to work with "borrowed" tools, I prefer to have my tools, always available because I live from this job.

Thanks

Adobe is a Total rip of same as Google glass

Thanks

Why not rent the software until you've paid for it then you get it. Light users only pay for what they use. Heavy users don't get ripped off. Everyone wins except the Sales manager... oh nevermind.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm a CC subscriber, and while I had no problems carrying on working with the programs themselves, what I couldn't do was use the Typekit fonts that I'd incorporated into projects. That was annoying. I'm glad that I didn't have a deadline. I can't believe that Adobe don't have a robust IT system with multiple backup authentication servers dotted around the globe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information