Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 26

Thread: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    28,581
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,858 times in 634 posts

    News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    China has banned all government purchases of Windows 8 due to security concerns.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,830
    Thanks
    645
    Thanked
    870 times in 734 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Wow, just wow.

    XP Support ended almost 13 years after release....and because MS won't support a 13 year old piece of software, they ban the newest release? Me thinks there is a hidden agenda!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Lenovo Flex 2 / 12GB RAM / 240GB Corsair Force 3 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: HTC One U11 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM12.1 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  3. #3
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,087
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked
    2,918 times in 2,365 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Linux would only be a consideration if they consider the support to be equal or superior to MS's windows support. Establishing that with a western company is going to be tricky - Red Hat's end of life support isn't that far removed from MS's for example. It's simply not feasible for western companies to provide support for life on a cheap product, but a Chinese local/govt company may be able to.

  4. #4
    Kaplah! OilSheikh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Londinium
    Posts
    5,365
    Thanks
    1,498
    Thanked
    287 times in 233 posts
    • OilSheikh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z270A PRIME
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700 w Xigmatek Thor's Hammer+ Noctua 14cm fan
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Rx 570 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • ZALMAN Z9 PLUS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" LG IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 76Mbps BT FTTP

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    No surprises there, considering how bad Windows 8 is.

  5. Received thanks from:

    DemonHighwayman (21-05-2014)

  6. #5
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    29,087
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked
    2,918 times in 2,365 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon X5680
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    No surprises there, considering how bad Windows 8 is.
    So you think that people shouldn't be able to judge the quality of a product by themselves, and just have their government deciding if they can by something or not?

  7. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    No surprises there, considering how bad Windows 8 is.
    So you think that people shouldn't be able to judge the quality of a product by themselves, and just have their government deciding if they can by something or not?
    They haven't banned it outright just banned it being used on government PC's/networks.

  8. #7
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Agree with shaithis.

    I notice that Win7 installs aren't banned. I wonder quite how allowing Win7 but precluding Win8 prevents a similar lack of support in the future?

    I guess MS kind-of got themselves in this situation for not pre-announcing firm and definite end-of-support dates, on release of the OS. That lack of a definitive end date has led to an inferred never-ending commitment.

    Don't get me wrong, though. Members here might just have noticed that, first, I'm not a fan if Win8 (or more accurately, MS for forcing MUI on us in it), by virtue of me objecting (or moaning, depending on how you see it) about it given half a chance. What can I say, I'm annoyed over it. Also, I have a number of XP systems and I resist suggestions, from MS or anyone else, that I "ought" to upgrade. Don't need to, and not going to.

    But I don't see why MS should provide never-ending free support.

    Frankly, support is a service. If you want it, you ought to expect to either pay for it in the purchase price, or (after an initial period) pay for it on a monthly, annual or "as needed" basis. In any event, providing it at all is a commercial operation, and expense.

    My one reservation to this is that, like all products (and software is a product) UK consumer law requires it to be of "satisfactory quality" and "fit for purpose". If ongoing "support" is necessary to address product deficiencies that cause it to drop below those standards, then at least for the period required by law, support ought to be provided. So a lot depends on what is in the "support".

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    The key word here is "Piracy", seeing as a pirated copy of windows 8 is less secure than the genuine as the auto updates are off because of windows genuine activation updates and due to zero day attacks. So this ban does not seem far fetched, as China is the nation of hackers, for the government to ban a product that can be easily compromised through user negligence of important updates. Also pirated copies and other bypassing methods can house viruses from the get go.

  10. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the Forth Bridge... Weigh A Pie...
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • EggenMcBerg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX2
      • CPU:
      • i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Mushkin DDR3 1333MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 4 1TB WD Greens
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX750M Hybrid Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T
      • Operating System:
      • W8.1 64bit pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo Foris FG2421
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet FO

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    It could also be seen as a tit-for-tat reaction to the US's announcement that it's charging PLA officers with hacking US companies.

  11. #10
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Quote Originally Posted by EggenMcBerg View Post
    It could also be seen as a tit-for-tat reaction to the US's announcement that it's charging PLA officers with hacking US companies.
    Which, they very likely were.

  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    273
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    • Badbonji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE G1.Sniper M3
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3770k 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB TeamElite 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB M4 SSD + 150GB Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850+ Rev. 2
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" 1920x1200 + LG 32" 1080P TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2 76/19Mbps

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Agree with shaithis.

    I notice that Win7 installs aren't banned. I wonder quite how allowing Win7 but precluding Win8 prevents a similar lack of support in the future?

    I guess MS kind-of got themselves in this situation for not pre-announcing firm and definite end-of-support dates, on release of the OS. That lack of a definitive end date has led to an inferred never-ending commitment.

    Don't get me wrong, though. Members here might just have noticed that, first, I'm not a fan if Win8 (or more accurately, MS for forcing MUI on us in it), by virtue of me objecting (or moaning, depending on how you see it) about it given half a chance. What can I say, I'm annoyed over it. Also, I have a number of XP systems and I resist suggestions, from MS or anyone else, that I "ought" to upgrade. Don't need to, and not going to.

    But I don't see why MS should provide never-ending free support.

    Frankly, support is a service. If you want it, you ought to expect to either pay for it in the purchase price, or (after an initial period) pay for it on a monthly, annual or "as needed" basis. In any event, providing it at all is a commercial operation, and expense.

    My one reservation to this is that, like all products (and software is a product) UK consumer law requires it to be of "satisfactory quality" and "fit for purpose". If ongoing "support" is necessary to address product deficiencies that cause it to drop below those standards, then at least for the period required by law, support ought to be provided. So a lot depends on what is in the "support".
    But Microsoft did release EOL support dates: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle. They couldn't expect MS to continually extend support forever as it costs money and resources.

    Seeing as the revenue isn't that much there they should just ignore them, it will be interesting to see what OS they will decide to use as XP is obviously not secure now either.

  13. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere over the Forth Bridge... Weigh A Pie...
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts
    • EggenMcBerg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX2
      • CPU:
      • i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Mushkin DDR3 1333MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 4 1TB WD Greens
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX750M Hybrid Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T
      • Operating System:
      • W8.1 64bit pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo Foris FG2421
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet FO

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Which, they very likely were.
    Absolutely - but let he who is without sin and all that malarkey, eh?

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kingdom of Fife (Scotland)
    Posts
    4,991
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked
    220 times in 190 posts
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    I suspect this is a storm in a green tea cup. Any one care to bet that in a month or two we'll get a quiet announcement that the "security concerns" have been addressed by Microsoft, and then a loud announcement that they (MS) have just won a large government contract with Windows 8.

    From what little I've seen there's still a few concerns about Windows 8, especially around problems with software that works fine on Windows 7 not working stably on 8. In which case the PRC government are probably right. And I'm sorry, but I still don't find that Win8 interface (or what they did to Office2013) anything but worse than what was there before. (Obligatory Windows8 rant over)

    Although, given the statement about "foreign OS" I suspect this is a play to justify some local procurement. But I've got no objections to that - a homogeneous setup is far easier to attack. I suppose it depends what applications they're running, and whether the government has been smart enough to insist on open(ish) standards for files etc.

    Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

  15. #14
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Badbonji View Post
    But Microsoft did release EOL support dates: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle. They couldn't expect MS to continually extend support forever as it costs money and resources.

    Seeing as the revenue isn't that much there they should just ignore them, it will be interesting to see what OS they will decide to use as XP is obviously not secure now either.
    Yeah, but what I said was a "definitive" end date, on release of the OS .

    MS has a general policy of support for 10 years, but it gets moved at their whim according to matket conditions. XP main support ended years ago. But then, due to "popularity" they offered "extended" support, and announced only two years ago when that was coming yo an end. Except that it isn't, for AV issues, and the Nalware tools. And it isn't if you pay for the custom program. And it isn't for Embedded XP, which granted, is a bit different.

    That was my point. Dates are all over the place. They get moved when MS release a "new" OS that flops, for instance, like Millenium or Vista, and customer en-masse demand downgrades to XP (or 2000) and MS realise that if they decline to extend support, many users may consider switching to, say, Linux, so to protect market share, they "extend". They doing it right now. XP support ended, sort-of, except where it didn't.

    The dates you gave are the life cycke dates NOW. Not when XP was launched, which was what I said.

  16. #15
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    It seems it might be part of the spat regarding the Chinese PLA people who are wanted by the FBI.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked
    84 times in 64 posts
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

    Re: News - Microsoft surprised by Chinese Windows 8 ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Yeah, but what I said was a "definitive" end date, on release of the OS .

    MS has a general policy of support for 10 years, but it gets moved at their whim according to matket conditions. XP main support ended years ago. But then, due to "popularity" they offered "extended" support, and announced only two years ago when that was coming yo an end. Except that it isn't, for AV issues, and the Nalware tools. And it isn't if you pay for the custom program. And it isn't for Embedded XP, which granted, is a bit different.

    That was my point. Dates are all over the place. They get moved when MS release a "new" OS that flops, for instance, like Millenium or Vista, and customer en-masse demand downgrades to XP (or 2000) and MS realise that if they decline to extend support, many users may consider switching to, say, Linux, so to protect market share, they "extend". They doing it right now. XP support ended, sort-of, except where it didn't.

    The dates you gave are the life cycke dates NOW. Not when XP was launched, which was what I said.
    The key point here is that the EOL dates have been extended. I don't see how you can claim an extension to EOL dates to be a bad thing for clients, since they can quite happily cycle out their update plans at the date they'd previously planned, if they wished. Or alternatively shelving a plan for 24 months due to an EOL extension is hardly a costly exercise and overall cheaper than upgrading sooner.
    Microsoft published the EOL date that we've now passed, for XP, back in 2006. That's before Vista was even released. That's also almost 8 years over which the EOL date has not been moved which is why the incompetence of organisations like HMRC who have somehow failed to prepare adequately for this, frustrates me so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •