Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31,670
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2,019 times in 718 posts

    News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Could it be a killer app for Microsoft's Surface?
    Read more.

  2. #2
    smells
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    346
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3 times in 3 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Oh neat, Adobe have a version of CC that plays nice with DPI scaling. Shame they won't update Photoshop Elements 12 to support it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    112 times in 101 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    well they got to have something as a reason to update from cs6 to their rental program....nope still not changing

  4. #4
    Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West of England
    Posts
    2,969
    Thanks
    1,013
    Thanked
    280 times in 225 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    I wonder how this would compare to a Wacom Cintiq in terms of price/performance... hmmm......

  5. #5
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    My reaction, exactly, pollaxe. I've used 'touch' for ages with PS. That's what a graphics tablet's for.

    As for 'touch' with a tablet, and a finger, I have enough trouble typing on a screen KB with this tablet, never mind pixel-poking. So, I'd need a decent stylus. And the advantage of 'touch' PS with a stylus over an old version and a graphics tablet is???

    So yeah .... nope, still not changing either.

    Personally, I'm quite content to say here and now, and probably have before, I'm not going CC, period. I'm not going 'cloud' for my storage or applications, and I'm absolutely NOT going subscription. Not now, not ever, no matter what features they announce. And that's that.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    264
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    8 times in 6 posts
    • tribaljet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel HM65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2820QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Transcend DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Sensitivity levels alone are drastically lower than Wacoms, so it kind of seems like a move similar to what Razer did when switching manufacturers for their mechanical keyboard key switches.

    Basically, tsk tsk.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    112 times in 101 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    My reaction, exactly, pollaxe. I've used 'touch' for ages with PS. That's what a graphics tablet's for.

    As for 'touch' with a tablet, and a finger, I have enough trouble typing on a screen KB with this tablet, never mind pixel-poking. So, I'd need a decent stylus. And the advantage of 'touch' PS with a stylus over an old version and a graphics tablet is???

    So yeah .... nope, still not changing either.

    Personally, I'm quite content to say here and now, and probably have before, I'm not going CC, period. I'm not going 'cloud' for my storage or applications, and I'm absolutely NOT going subscription. Not now, not ever, no matter what features they announce. And that's that.
    Already have 2 wacom tablets and I already have most of those new 'features' except the big buttons via my 3d connexion spacemouse (need to upgrade to the space pilot at some point) which I use anyways for 3D work.... it allows me to rotate, pan, tilt, zoom and I can 'scroll' my brush size... it cost me like 50 quid lol. Yes I'd recommend them but I'd go for the next step up as I'm forever lifting it off the desk lol

    I've added cloud storage to my personal workflow, I'm gradually uploading all my music to google music... slowly as I'm fixing tags but I wouldn't trust my work files outside of my network or my website (client area) due to concerns over privacy anyways.

  8. #8
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    ...

    I've added cloud storage to my personal workflow, I'm gradually uploading all my music to google music... slowly as I'm fixing tags but I wouldn't trust my work files outside of my network or my website (client area) due to concerns over privacy anyways.
    I guess it's a personal choice, based at least in part in what each of us does with our systems. I suppose there's no harm in things like music collections (legal ones anyway) being on the cloud, but I entirely agree about work files. Some of my work files are client-confidential, ranging from commercially confidential stuff to minutes of board meetings, bid documents, etc. Others include sensitive material of my own, ranging from work in progress, to financial records and a scanned document archive. Then, there's personal info, like tax returns, bank statements, medical letters and all sorts. All that latter stuff is kept on a network that doesn't have external connections, like internet .... quite deliberately.

    In short, I've got stuff I want to be SURE doesn't end up on the cloud, even by accident, and with no real incentive to put anything on the cloud, I regard the best way of ensuring no accidental uploading, or upsyncing, is to not have a cloud account in the first place.

    So, personally, I see plenty of reasons not to go cloud, and no convincing reasons for needing it. For everyone else, though, YMMV.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,196
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked
    112 times in 101 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Some of my work files are client-confidential, ranging from commercially confidential stuff to minutes of board meetings, bid documents, etc. Others include sensitive material of my own, ranging from work in progress, to financial records and a scanned document archive. Then, there's personal info, like tax returns, bank statements, medical lettrs and all sorts. All that latter stuff is kept on a network that doesn't have external connections, like internet .... quite deliberately.
    Same and with things like nas's with either built in 'cloud' software or web servers allowing software like owncloud (has apps etc) or even vpn's you don't really need it assuming you have decent internet... which is another matter, upload speeds still suck for most people, I've only got upload speed of around 90KB/s if I'm lucky...

  10. #10
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    Same and with things like nas's with either built in 'cloud' software or web servers allowing software like owncloud (has apps etc) or even vpn's you don't really need it assuming you have decent internet... which is another matter, upload speeds still suck for most people, I've only got upload speed of around 90KB/s if I'm lucky...
    But because I don't need or want cloud-type services, even under my own control, net upload speeds aren't really much of an issue for me. About the only time upload speeds matter to me is when installing to a web server, or when uploading files a client wants put online. That happens, but not enough for speed to really be an issue. The vast bulk of my data I don't want accessible from the net under any circumstances. I don't need such access, and want to be absolutely sure nobody else possibly can get it. Hence the airgap in my networks.

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 3 posts
    • stanonwheels's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sabertooth Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2TB + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 660Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1920x1080 Benq + old 1440x900 cheapo HP panel
      • Internet:
      • Usually 10mbps, depends on weather.

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Creative cloud might be ridiculous for most people, but most people pirate Adobe's stuff anyway (especially students), because it costs a billion pounds. There's a good chance Microsoft could clean up with this in the business space if they can finally build something that's noticeably better than a macbook for creatives on the go. Even for the rest of us, it's full fat windows, so there's every chance they'll still sell hardware to the people who are going to pirate CC. Smart move all round.

  12. #12
    Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    17,164
    Thanks
    803
    Thanked
    2,152 times in 1,408 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    As for 'touch' with a tablet, and a finger, I have enough trouble typing on a screen KB with this tablet, never mind pixel-poking. So, I'd need a decent stylus. And the advantage of 'touch' PS with a stylus over an old version and a graphics tablet is???

    So yeah .... nope, still not changing either.
    It's not a game changer at all.

    But I think you are missing the point. It's like Office, if you've got a touch device, and enable touch mode spacing, the app becomes a lot more usable for touch devices because icon spacing and the like is prioritised for touch use. This isn't rocket science stuff, as far as the code changes go, but it makes it a lot more usable.

    For instance, touch on Windows Explorer has gotten a bit better, but it is still horrificly bad if you are wanting a 'details' view. They could optomise it quite easily, add more padding, make certain hit targets bigger.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    344
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked
    22 times in 19 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    "256 levels of pressure sensitivity"? That is absolutely terrible.

    Artists: if this Surface attracts you and you aren't happy with Wacom's complacency, take a look at what Monoprice has been doing lately! http://frenden.com/post/69444810884/...acom-take-heed

  14. Received thanks from:

    pollaxe (23-05-2014)

  15. #14
    Admin (Ret'd)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18,481
    Thanks
    1,016
    Thanked
    3,208 times in 2,281 posts

    Re: News - Touch optimised Photoshop CC shown at Surface 3 launch event

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    It's not a game changer at all.

    But I think you are missing the point. It's like Office, if you've got a touch device, and enable touch mode spacing, the app becomes a lot more usable for touch devices because icon spacing and the like is prioritised for touch use. This isn't rocket science stuff, as far as the code changes go, but it makes it a lot more usable.

    For instance, touch on Windows Explorer has gotten a bit better, but it is still horrificly bad if you are wanting a 'details' view. They could optomise it quite easily, add more padding, make certain hit targets bigger.
    For most apps, I'd accept that. Not, for me, PS though. Some functions in PS, like maybe running filters, layers, etc, maybe. But for the pixel-poking bits, I can't see basic touch, without a stylus, ever being workable. And for reasons already given, the 'touch' approach from a half decent tablet, and probably even a cheap, crude one, beats touch-sensitive screens, probably even if using a stylus, let alone finger.

    Surely, given the naure (and price) of Photoshop, any (legit) users that need 'touch' will already very likely be tablet users?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •