Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Microsoft's software satisfaction score climbs, despite Windows 8

Thanks
    • rich835's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K @4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock
      • PSU:
      • Powercool X-Viper 80 Plus Bronze 950W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus - White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer K272HL + Oculus Rift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150mb

Re: News - Microsoft's software satisfaction score climbs, despite Windows 8

I agree with nearly everything people have said here about how disappointed they are with Windows 8, and that's coming from an IT pro who has lived and breathed the products and flown the flag for 20 years.

I really can't see what they're trying to do now. All it needs, is to have an install option, metro UI or standard UI and everyone would've been happy, but they were clearly trying to get everyone to buy Surface's, hence they didn't give you that option. No one is likely to buy a Surface unless it's cheap. If MS want to make a dent in the market, then these devices need to be cheap!

All these things are so obvious to anyone, it seems except Microsoft.
    For the original comment, "Microsoft's satisfaction score climbing", sorry I just don't see it.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by rich835 View Post
    I agree with nearly everything people have said here about how disappointed they are with Windows 8, and that's coming from an IT pro who has lived and breathed the products and flown the flag for 20 years.

I really can't see what they're trying to do now.
    20 years in IT and you still don't get what they were doing? Seriously?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rich835 View Post

I really can't see what they're trying to do now. All it needs, is to have an install option, metro UI or standard UI and everyone would've been happy, but they were clearly trying to get everyone to buy Surface's, hence they didn't give you that option. No one is likely to buy a Surface unless it's cheap. If MS want to make a dent in the market, then these devices need to be cheap!

All these things are so obvious to anyone, it seems except Microsoft.
    For the original comment, "Microsoft's satisfaction score climbing", sorry I just don't see it.
    I certainly agree they were trying to leverage sales of mobile devices by trying to get a common UI and utilising numbers of installed desktop users. It didn't seem to occur to them that the result might not be to leverage mobile device sales (including Windows Phone), but rather, they might seriously alienate their desktop users, who would feel like cannon fodder.

But as for having to sell devices "cheap", erm, not necessarily. Look at the marketing model of Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Rayban, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Apple, a vast variety of fashion designers, perfume and 'personal' product manufacturers, and so on. Bear in mind that company's objective is profit, not sales volume. One way might be volume. That works pretty well for most software products. But would Adobe make more profit selling Photoshop at £50 than they do at £600? It depends how many they sell.

Some products do well in the market they aim at precisely because they aren't cheap. If Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, RayBan, etc, were cheap, they couldn't sell at preposterous prices to people who buy them largely because they're preposterously priced.

Thanks
    • rich835's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K @4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston HyperX Beast 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock
      • PSU:
      • Powercool X-Viper 80 Plus Bronze 950W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus - White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer K272HL + Oculus Rift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150mb

Lol, I did get it, everything made sense before, this new direction is questionable Imo.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • maxp779's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD5850
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600w
      • Case:
      • Antec 902
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2260WM 22" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 8MB

Yeah probably the same boneheaded survey company that concluded nobody used the start menu....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information