Thread: News - Alienware Alpha 'Steam Machine' to arrive as a Windows 8.1 system

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Alienware Alpha 'Steam Machine' to arrive as a Windows 8.1 system

Another machine is ready, even if SteamOS and the Steam Controller aren't.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Meowdance's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX670 PE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair GS800
      • Case:
      • NZXT Hades
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2411T

Re: News - Alienware Alpha 'Steam Machine' to arrive as a Windows 8.1 system

A competitively priced Alienware system? Good lord.

The Ace
    Thanks

Hey a quick question can it play any console exclusives ?
    answer "NO" so stop saying Console PC and Alienware shame on you on the price.

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by abychristy View Post
    Hey a quick question can it play any console exclusives ?
    answer "NO" so stop saying Console PC and Alienware shame on you on the price.
    Question, can your xbox 360 play Uncharted? No? How's about your PS3, can that play Halo? No? Then console exclusives is an umbrella term you shouldn't read too deeply into. A PC console is a PC designed for the living room and mainly for playing video games, simple as that, that does not imply any links to exclusives.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Utterly mediocre hardware and they still have the neck to ask for $550 and claiming it unprofitable. Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I do find it rather worrying (not just for Valve, but the entire PC gaming industry as a whole) that one of the first Steam boxes, being shipped by one of the largest PC builders ever, is running Windows and comes with a Microsoft controller.

Not a good start for valve IMO.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    ... they still have the neck to ask for $550 and claiming it unprofitable. Jesus.
    Spec me a home build with an i3 and a 2GB GDDR5 Maxwell GPU (as well as Windows and an xbox controller) for less and I'll be impressed. Dell's US website suggests that a standard Dell Windows 8.1 desktop of a similar price has an i5/8GB of RAM/1TB HDD but no discrete GPU. Drop those back to i3/4GB/500GB and you just about save enough money to slot in a decent GPU, but then you've got the custom designed mobo and case to make it console-size which costs money, and you've got the addition of the controller. I don't reckon the price is bad at all for what they're offering.

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I do find it rather worrying (not just for Valve, but the entire PC gaming industry as a whole) that one of the first Steam boxes, being shipped by one of the largest PC builders ever, is running Windows and comes with a Microsoft controller.

Not a good start for valve IMO.
    No-one to blame but themselves - they've persuaded partners to create new PC designs targetting a $500 - $600 price point to try to compete with consoles, tempted them with a free OS and an innovative new controller, than dropped a 9 month+ delay on them at short notice. You can't expect ASUS, Dell et al. to just sit on those new designs while Valve get themselves sorted.

Of course, for Valve it could work well as a market tester - will people buy mid-range gaming PCs to go in their living room? If these don't sell with Windows + XBox controller, it suggests Valve will have more work to do to persuade people that a SteamBox is a good investment...

Thanks

Let's take these for what they are instead of the marketing.

Small form factor PCs.
    I'm all for them, personally. There seems to be a bit of an identity crisis with these 'steam boxes' though. Are they designed to stream games run somewhere else or should they have enough internal grunt? A 750ti (which is what this is probably close to, and what the gr8 has) is perfectly capable of acceptable 1080p gaming.

When it comes to SFF, companies like Alienware and Asus have an advantage over self build in that they can custom design certain bits and not conform to form factors. Apple showed with the mac pro that there are advantages to a top down design rather than throwing stuff in a box.

Registered+
    Thanks

The case looks nice but I would prefer something that was bigger and had an blu-ray drive if it's to go underneath a TV

AlexKitch

So it's essentially a middle-of-the-road Windows 8 PC with an Xbox controller, and without total customizability.

Why wouldn't you just buy a standard, middle-end, ATX PC?! Am I missing something? I don't understand why anyone in their right mind would actually buy this.

Edit: Maybe it's the whole "Steam Box" marketing thing that's confusing me. I thought a 'Steam Box' was something far more bespoke in terms of software - but this would appear to just be a Windows PC that happens to have Steam installed.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

It's a shame they've soldered in the component which will need upgrading soonest, if you want to keep up with new games on max settings

Thanks

I don't see this as being a great seller.

Thread Information