• Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Re: Features - Roy Taylor Blog: The real price of productivity

Quote Originally Posted by Badbonji View Post
    I just meant in general, that CPUs would be under load during the working hours rather than mostly idle ....
    This probably feels like you're being picked on a bit, which isn't my intention, but can I suggest you start task manager next time you're doing general office work? I've done that this morning, and I've hardly seen CPU usage over about 20%, and then only in very short spikes. If you used a logging power meter I suspect you'd find that office PCs spend most of their time nearer their idle power draw than their full load draw. When I wrote up my review of the A6-3670k bundle I won on hexus, DVD playback and web browsing were only 10W - 15W above idle, while gaming and high CPU loads were more like 45W above idle. The former are for more representative of office workloads than that latter...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Well I have talked to people who have experience of government IT,where they have seen OTT PCs and laptops are bought/leased at times for relatively light tasks. I even read somewhere,that in one instance a laptop was leased to several times the upfront purchasing cost of the laptop. Too many people who are involved in buying IT equipment are either clueless,or are fiddling things. Its not even helped by the fact that trying to save money,ends up with budgets being reduced the next year,so it ends up being a war of trying to keep the funding intact.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that the Govt IT are "fiddling things" ... there's aspects of that which are unsavoury. Maybe more accurate to say that they're choosing to maximise their budget. And I'm sure we've all seen those situations where the boss has a fancy high performance desktop while the engineers are struggling with something more "mainstream".

Back to the article, an interesting spin and only an idiot would see this and not think that it's trying to present AMD in the best light. Problem I have is that there's a definite perception that AMD desktop chips - including the APU's - are woefully under powered. So while AMD is definitely up with a shot against an i3 or even i5 based system, against an i7 they're not usually considered. Whether this is based on truth or not I leave up to others to say...

I'm also curious about the focus on power - especially as the perception seems to be that Intel does bang/W better than AMD unless you enable those power saving features. Then again, there's the continual AMD/ATi v's NVidia discussion - I've not found anyone yet saying that the red team parts don't need more power and are louder than their "green team" compatriots.

For servers though, AMD does seem to still have a pretty strong following.

He's got a point about the APU's though - in my mind there's still a resistance to these - preferring the dedicated CPU plus GPU, although it's becoming darned difficult to find a GPU-less CPU these days. As I said an interesting short article.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

The Ace
    Thanks

First of all add power consumption then put a performance per power comparison secondly PCM8 score is just what the PC alone can do please don't leave the 4770k, you think gamers want onboard graphics performance NO, they wanna see how it performs with a kickass GPU.

Thanks

I Work for a sixth form College and we have been buying and using AMD APU based machines for the last 4 years - they are truly awesome for us. Coupled with an SSD and three video outputs (Main monitor, secondary monitor and projector) we simply could not have achieved the speed of our workstations without AMD pricing. As far as performance - we run Solidworks, Photoshop 6.5, Protools, Cubase and Reason. We have NEVER had a problem with processing power. Thank you AMD

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that the Govt IT are "fiddling things" ... there's aspects of that which are unsavoury. Maybe more accurate to say that they're choosing to maximise their budget. And I'm sure we've all seen those situations where the boss has a fancy high performance desktop while the engineers are struggling with something more "mainstream".
    That technically fiddling though! Basically getting your hardware hit on the taxpayers payroll!

Thanks

"Let’s take a look at the price comparisons between us and our competitor:

A10 7850K $170 4,287 vs i5 4670K $240 4,243"

Ohohohohhhh!!! you make me a funny day, Roy. This delusional state of mind, or use of RDF is epic.

So, Hexus accepts whatever crap/bull**** that a salemans (VIP, but a sales boy) **** from his mouth, as this delirant comparation of the performanca of the 4670K, against this crappy cpu that is the 7850K.

This isn´t a non retributed relation, Hexus.net, don't lie to your readers, is a well paid relation. Your reputation, whatever of it that you still have, isn't free for a salesman. Don't lie.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by wwwendigo View Post
    So, Hexus accepts whatever crap/bull**** that a salemans (VIP, but a sales boy) **** from his mouth, as this delirant comparation of the performanca of the 4670K, against this crappy cpu that is the 7850K.
    Fancy telling us why instead of foaming at the mouth?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks
    • MaverickWill's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 128GB + Samsung F4 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7850 DD
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Prodigy - mesh front
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8.1

This is all part of AMD's plan, started 3 years ago, to encourage OpenCL adoption. AMD's processors since Bulldozer have fared poorly in traditional benchmarks, but OpenCL is always a saving grace. The big problem is, OpenCL adoption isn't great, and discrete GPUs are far better at this sort of thing.

What we're used to seeing in a traditional benchmark chart that isn't OpenCL-based:

When it comes to OpenCL for CPUs, AMD leads the charge in benchmarks such as Musemage (taken from here). However, even a score of 6,433 for the 7850K is nothing compared to the 13,278 of a Radeon 7770 (results taken from here), of which the R7 250X is essentially a faster version, and available for £70.

So yes, AMD CPUs have better integrated graphics than Intel CPUs, but their performance is still at the bottom of the rung. I'd rather get the faster processor in the traditional sense, and then add in a GPU.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickWill View Post
    What we're used to seeing in a traditional single threaded benchmark chart that isn't OpenCL-based:
    FTFY

... AMD CPUs have better integrated graphics than Intel CPUs, but their performance is still at the bottom of the rung.
    Only in single threaded performance, which isn't the be all and end all any more because so very few tasks that most people do with their PCs are so absolutely dependent on single-threaded performance. For instance, how often do you run pi fast on aa average day? Any?

The real issue for AMD is not that their performance is lower than Intel's - it's persuading people that that fact is mostly irrelevant. Years back I filled a complete office with low-end single-core Sempron based PCs. I didn't have a single complaint about any of those computers not being fast enough for the basic office tasks they were used for. Any modern dual or quad core processor will be orders of magnitude more responsive than those PCs, and the bottleneck in office tasks hasn't changed: it's still the users. OpenCL is utterly irrelevant to the point being made in this article (the chosen PC Mark benchmark is one that doesn't heavily favour OpenCL or GPU-based tasks), which is that for basic office tasks you can use a cheaper AMD processor and get the same level of productivity.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

So yes, AMD CPUs have better integrated graphics than Intel CPUs, but their performance is still at the bottom of the rung. I'd rather get the faster processor in the traditional sense, and then add in a GPU.
    Then you must be speccing for a gaming PC. Probably the rarest type of PC.

It is this mindset that the article is trying to get people to re-address.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Brian224's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 SSD 120GB, Seagate 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX760 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W EZCool Silent
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 230T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Acer G226HQLBbd
      • Internet:
      • 30 Mb cable (Virgin Media)

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    ...Then you must be speccing for a gaming PC. Probably the rarest type of PC.

It is this mindset that the article is trying to get people to re-address.
    There may not be much manufacturing left in the UK, but there is still some demand for CAD/CAM even if the mindset you are demonstrating makes it a struggle getting graphics hardware (or even decent monitors) out of IT managers.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Brian224 View Post
    There may not be much manufacturing left in the UK, but there is still some demand for CAD/CAM even if the mindset you are demonstrating makes it a struggle getting graphics hardware (or even decent monitors) out of IT managers.
    If an IT Manager can't see the difference between a CAD/CAM workstation and a basic office machine, they shouldn't be an IT Manager. But that equally means not over-speccing/over-spending on basic office machines, as much as it means ensuring you spec/spend enough on your workstations (and the less you spend on office PCs, the more money you have left for proper workstations... ).

Sprouts are not food Attila the Bun's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Attila the Bun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K with H100i cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO / 256GB Samsung 830 / 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS RADEON 7970 CU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • 650w EVGA Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V359
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro / Win 8(laptop)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Various
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down, 1mb up

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Fancy telling us why instead of foaming at the mouth?
    That'll be a no then
    Of course I'm perfect you just need to lower your expectations.

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Patriot Viper 3 (x2 8GB, x2 4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 240GB M500 | 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1

Your problem is companies like Dell, businesses will soley buy their PC's from them and they do not sell AMD machines. You're fighting a bit of a losing battle without getting those top IT guys at businesses to lobby Dell for change, which isn't really going to happen.
    A business we do consultancy for has entirely Dell PC's (50+ machines), the only AMD ones are a handful of really old AMD 64's which need retiring, guess what their replacement will be?
    You need to knock on the big guys door and say "stop ripping your customers off" or partner with someone who will make AMD machines for businesses.

Registered+
    Thanks

If AMD was really serious about this perspective, then one would expect that they ensure a fixed USD/EUR price worldwide, like Intel does. Unfortunately the unscrupulous importers in other parts of the world don't have the same intentions.
    Your mentioned A10-7850K being sold locally at an equivalent 250USD nullifies all the arguments for such considerations. If the AMD APU costs the same as the Intel equivalents you used, then guess what the general consumer will continue to buy.
    If AMD is serious about growing the market share, and on the back of your arguments, you have valid reason to do just that, then it's about time that you seriously looked at the importers and their profiteering at your cost. These importers are killing the local sales, yet AMD does seemingly nothing about it.
    If AMD however believes that the US market alone suffices, then the price point is valid.

Unfortunately it won't hold true for the other potential consumers/customers outside the US that can't be convinced for as long as they are being exploited on AMD products whilst AMD seemingly turns a blind eye to those outside the US.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by grayg1 View Post
    Your problem is companies like Dell, businesses will soley buy their PC's from them and they do not sell AMD machines. You're fighting a bit of a losing battle without getting those top IT guys at businesses to lobby Dell for change, which isn't really going to happen.
    A business we do consultancy for has entirely Dell PC's (50+ machines), the only AMD ones are a handful of really old AMD 64's which need retiring, guess what their replacement will be?
    You need to knock on the big guys door and say "stop ripping your customers off" or partner with someone who will make AMD machines for businesses.
    HP seems to be having a go at AMD based business machines ATM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information