Thread: News - Ofcom finds broadband speed disparity within urban areas

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Ofcom finds broadband speed disparity within urban areas

Operators may be targeting wealthier urban areas for their faster connections.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Ofcom finds broadband speed disparity within urban areas

Yes that's BT THEY ARE CRAP and the should be given a very high fine, the take the Gov: Grants
    millions of pounds,
    I stay 1 mile away from the phone exchange in Gatehead /Kilmarnock/Ayrshire and all I get is 2meg
    Ofcom is crap as well they do nothing about it they have no power.
    Everything goes to London an other state the poor are kept poor and the rich get richer
    its time the people rose up and tackled the Gov:
    Tom G

Registered+
    Thanks

My office is in London, bang smack in the middle of London. A stone's throw from Liverpool St station, just by the bottom of Brick Lane, in a complex of 65 small businesses. Although our exchange is fibre enabled, BT have said they're not going to upgrade our cabinet 'cause it's not cost effective. So we're all stuck on ~8/0.5. Not doing our businesses any good at all.

Thanks
    • davesom555's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2600@4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 3000mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME + multiple 2.5" SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 700w
      • Case:
      • NZXT H400i mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 27" QHD 144mhz
      • Internet:
      • 200mb

Quote Originally Posted by tomthum View Post
    Yes that's BT THEY ARE CRAP and the should be given a very high fine, the take the Gov: Grants
    millions of pounds,
    I stay 1 mile away from the phone exchange in Gatehead /Kilmarnock/Ayrshire and all I get is 2meg
    Ofcom is crap as well they do nothing about it they have no power.
    Everything goes to London an other state the poor are kept poor and the rich get richer
    its time the people rose up and tackled the Gov:
    Tom G
    Amen to that!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark_m View Post
    My office is in London, bang smack in the middle of London. A stone's throw from Liverpool St station, just by the bottom of Brick Lane, in a complex of 65 small businesses. Although our exchange is fibre enabled, BT have said they're not going to upgrade our cabinet 'cause it's not cost effective. So we're all stuck on ~8/0.5. Not doing our businesses any good at all.
    Wouldn't a leased line cost like £500 a month there?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark_m View Post
    have you considered an ethernet first mile connection... it's meant to be more cost effective than leased line etc or even bonded connections.

As to the article... yeah I just love how they're focusing on the issue in cities... it isn't cities that need the most help getting the higher speeds, it's us outside of a major city. I'll admit I'm lucky in that I could get 24/2 adsl2 if I wanted but the deal I have on 8/1 is just too good to give up, plus I don't actually NEED it any faster at the moment, but it would be nice if I had the option to get fibre if I wanted it

Thanks

Private business in profit-seeking ahead of public service shocker! The idea that tin-pot 'regulators' like Ofcom can bend multi-billion pound businesses to act in the public good is absurd. All privatisation is theft.

8. Received thanks from:

davesom555 (19-06-2014)

Thanks

I wouldn't call it theft.
    Although i would say it's akin to selling off the family silver, then bemoaning that you are paying to much to hire it back.

Veteran OGS
    Thanks
    • c12038's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X Evo
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1866 Gaming
      • Storage:
      • 5 SSD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 580 Red Devil 8gb
      • PSU:
      • 700Watt Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • NZXT 630 phantom case
      • Operating System:
      • WIN10 1803 64bit Retail
      • Monitor(s):
      • 29" LG 29WK600 with DP to DP
      • Internet:
      • VM 100mb BB

They have had 10 years to upgrade the whole country to Infinity as this work started way back in 2003/4 and had several government grants to help them along their way... Its now 2014 and still no Fibre to Customer only in areas that they deem fit for purpose... VM on the other hand have surpassed themselves but high prices dominate this service and a lack of good customer service also reflects bad.... There is not the right sort of competition to help the consumer get better deals and fairer prices for services....

Thanks

The hand which feeds/gives is also the hand which takes. Any human who believes that entities like “Ofcom” is about Benevolence has yet to realise that the likes of “Ofcom” is also Malevolence, Ofcom’s duality being exposed when the price metaphorically stamped across Ofcom’s head is breached. This is because Malevolence is merely the state when Benevolence is absent much like Darkness is merely the state when Light is absent.

There is nothing that Ofcom does not know when it comes to the Fun N Games of, say, BT, the nothing which is a big fat zero. As such, when The Know Eet All acts as if something new had, unknowingly, happened on its patch, that is merely the jokers moment of inflexion/vacillation. You know, when the thief starts acting like Da Pooleece. Mun.

Communications is one of National Security and is not one of Profit & Loss [P&L]. The same reason why postal services do not come under the jurisdiction of P&L otherwise there will be many more where The Postie will not knock. “The Local Loop” [TLL] is one such “National Security” but guess what Da Truly Rusted One did? She used one of her poodles to sell off TLL under the auspices of “De-Nationalisation”. But that is not the only joke. One contemporary UKBB-No.1 joke is that “local councils”, oka the nodernday barons, are handing money hand-over-fist to BT [und no vun else, dahlings] in order to “facilitate” BT to do its duty. And still the joker is asking for more time to implement UKBB-No.1. Paper Tiger Boy “Ofcom”, of course, will dig up all the justifications necessary for the “delay”. Afterall, if you scratch mah back, I’ll furrow yores, sweets.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

And in other news, it's been discovered that the Pope is a Catholic.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thread Information