Thread: News - Google announces revised Glass hardware with 2GB of RAM

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google announces revised Glass hardware with 2GB of RAM

Also Google I/O will kick off later today - what are we expecting to see unveiled?
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: News - Google announces revised Glass hardware with 2GB of RAM

I'm still having trouble answering the question: "To what problem is Glass the solution?"

Thanks
    • CampGareth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ?
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 3740QM @ 2.7-4.1GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB corsair/samsung 1600MHz SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1x250GB samsung 5400rpm HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual GTX680Ms in sli
      • PSU:
      • 300W brick
      • Case:
      • Clevo P370EM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Crossover 2720MDP 2560x1440 IPS, Cibox 22" 1680x1050 TN, internal 17.3" 1080p LG matte
      • Internet:
      • Ask4 50/6 fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Otherhand View Post
    I'm still having trouble answering the question: "To what problem is Glass the solution?"
    The problem of having to get out your phone to change the track, or take a picture (for which a slate shape isn't ideal), or read a message, or get directions while moving etc etc.

To those problems it is one solution of many, a solution we're going to see later today is smart watches. Try those, then we'll see if glass has merit, it might well do since with either a phone or a smart watch you end up looking down at a device and ignoring the world

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

The headline change is the doubling of the amount of RAM to 2GB in order to provide users better performance.
    So much for the "it's light on resource use" - looks like 2GB is becoming the minimum for any Google OS.
    Watching movies while driving/cycling;
    Stalking;
    Pirating cinema films;
    Voyeurism;
    etc

Joking aside, it seemed to me to be one of those "we do this because we can" type devices. Either that or it's a counterblast to the increasing bulk of "convential" phones that are getting thinner but wider/taller. What I'd prefer is some kind of contact lens display, wirelessly powered, with the phone electronics in a little lighter-sized box in your pocket, (with the box also able to double up as storage/cleaning for the lens units).

Then again, there's some Glass Explorers on Hexus - at least some folks who've used it - so maybe they've got a killer use they'd like to share?
    Last edited by crossy; 25-06-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Maybe we could use Google glass on Moose and stop them falling off cliffs and running into roads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
    The problem of having to get out your phone to change the track, or take a picture (for which a slate shape isn't ideal), or read a message, or get directions while moving etc etc.

To those problems it is one solution of many, a solution we're going to see later today is smart watches. Try those, then we'll see if glass has merit, it might well do since with either a phone or a smart watch you end up looking down at a device and ignoring the world
    Perhaps, if you actually find your phone is a hassle. I don't, and it could be a long time until high quality camera tech becomes small enough to fit in Glass. I think the ability to get directions while moving causes worse problems than it solves; alright if you're on a bus (in which case, you could use your hands and a phone), potentially deadly if you're driving or riding a bike.

I agree that we need to deal with the problem of ignoring the world, but that's a matter of manners. I don't do that, and pick my moments to check the phone carefully, and so do my friends and family. I don't see how Glass makes this any better, and in fact it exacerbates it. It's a constant reminder that a person may not be giving you their full attention, unlike the occasional sleight of someone peering into their phone in mid-conversation.

I know it's a losing battle, and sooner or later this stuff is going to be in a contact lens. I think I'll miss smartphones when that day comes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    So much for the "it's light on resource use" - looks like 2GB is becoming the minimum for any Google OS.

Watching movies while driving/cycling;
    Stalking;
    Pirating cinema films;
    Voyeurism;
    etc

Joking aside, it seemed to me to be one of those "we do this because we can" type devices. Either that or it's a counterblast to the increasing bulk of "convential" phones that are getting thinner but wider/taller. What I'd prefer is some kind of contact lens display, wirelessly powered, with the phone electronics in a little lighter-sized box in your pocket, (with the box also able to double up as storage/cleaning for the lens units).

Then again, there's some Glass Explorers on Hexus - at least some folks who've used it - so maybe they've got a killer use they'd like to share?
    Ha ha!

It should be mandatory to watch the Black Mirror episode "The Entire History of You", in my opinion.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
    The problem of having to get out your phone to change the track, or take a picture (for which a slate shape isn't ideal), or read a message, or get directions while moving etc etc. To those problems it is one solution of many, a solution we're going to see later today is smart watches. Try those, then we'll see if glass has merit, it might well do since with either a phone or a smart watch you end up looking down at a device and ignoring the world
    Problem I've got is that the track change, read message, etc usages can easily be done with a very cheap headset - even a £30 bluetooth one if you'd prefer. Text-to-voice is definitely getting better. The photo thing is a possibility - but even then I'd suggest that, unless you were trying to do it surreptitiously, then having to take the phone out isn't a big deal. And I'm not the only one who thinks that way - there was an article I was reading that was suggesting moving camera to the very top of the phone, so you could take a picture by aiming the phone in your shirt pocket and saying "Ok Google, take picture".

The smartwatch idea I'm ambivalent about. I got a first gen Sony and it wasn't more than an expensive toy. The Galaxy Gear and G-Watch designs also leave me cold. No, what's interesting me is the latest lines of "watch like" watches like the one(s) on Kickstarter and of course the Moto 360. Got to say that the 360 is the first smartwatch that - depending on it's actual face size - I'd be tempted to pre-order.
    Ha ha! It should be mandatory to watch the Black Mirror episode "The Entire History of You", in my opinion.
    Darn, I managed to miss out on that - Charlie Brooker stuff is usually okay. Did you see this article in The Metro? According to that Robert Downey Jr bought the rights to the episode you name - US version or film perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Maybe we could use Google glass on Moose and stop them falling off cliffs and running into roads.
    The cynic in me can't help wondering how much fencing could be bought for the cost of a single Glass unit... (and yes, I do know you weren't being serious).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Darn, I managed to miss out on that - Charlie Brooker stuff is usually okay. Did you see this article in The Metro? According to that Robert Downey Jr bought the rights to the episode you name - US version or film perhaps?
    A film, I believe. That particular episode wasn't written by him - I think that's by the Peep Show writers, but you'd never guess from the style (aside from their fondness for first-person view filming and making people squirm with their characters' inner thoughts).

You can watch it for free here, after signing up with an email address and password, assuming your location is still accurate: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/b...or/4od#3327868

10. Received thanks from:

crossy (27-06-2014)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The cynic in me can't help wondering how much fencing could be bought for the cost of a single Glass unit... (and yes, I do know you weren't being serious).
    Moose are fence-proof.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Nothing. There i've said it It doesn't solve a problem as such.

The Appeal of glass varies, but for many of us this is the future of technology, right here right now. I've grown up with a certain image of future technology, driven largely by Sci-Fi shows and films. Things like star trek Pads, touch screen keyboards, voice recognition, personal HUDs, tricorders, replicators...all of these things have been there through out my life as awesomely cool things that will happen one day. And it's almost here..

Pads - tablets
    Touch screens - ubiquitous now
    Voice Recognition/HUDs - glass
    tricorders - available in some form to a degree, mostly through bluetooth gadgets
    Replicators - 3D printers

So that takes care of the "cool" factor for geeks

Then there is the wider benefit in terms of the tech that are likely come out of this (and other projects). Vastly improved voice recognition, battery technology, bone conduction, "minification" of display/processing tech and so on.

Thats the *really* exciting bit about Glass - whats next? Where will the tech go? It's rather unusual for us to get access to this sort of tech so early in its life, and the possibilities are endless.

I also think there is a strong relationship between smartwatches and glass - if you don't see the benefit in something like a Pebble, you probably won't see any benefit in Glass. I can't wait for mine to arrive, its the most exciting bit of tech this decade so far.

Thread Information