• zaph0d's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 48GB - 2X 32GB and 2X 16GB at 3200
      • Storage:
      • 480GB NVME (OS) 2TB 8 Drive sas Raid0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 1070
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-343B (Original Model)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2X 55" Samsung 4k tv's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 500Mb

Re: News - Microsoft warns mainstream Windows 7 support ends Jan 2015

Well - I guess that means DirectX 12 is a bust for Window$ 7 then. It'll be an 8.1+ exclusive to try and force a little extra adoption.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    This bit of information appears to be completely lacking in the article.

The difference between free mainstream support and still having security support is the point. In much the same way windows XP didn't support many great software features, some that I'm going to be coding against today, but still had security.

If the windows 7 today does exactly what you need, the windows 7 in 2015 should still too. Unless you need new functionality, in which case, you will have to pay. 5 years of mainstream support is a fairly good deal, 10 years of security critical support is a bargain.

Compare it to say Solaris or OSX. Hell OSX is awful, if you don't buy the new version, you might find your three year old device with well known critical security bugs.
    Pretty sure apple supply OSX versions for free now! As long as you are in the X86 land of course.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I still wont touch windows 8 or 8.1 with my worst enemy, I can prove that my games run laggy and horrible on windows 8 and 8.1 but they run perfectly under windows 7, so until Microsoft do some thing about this operating system 8.1 as they call it I will not be upgrading EVER

I would Love to see Game Developers move over to Linux and dump being reliant on Microsoft, its about time Microsoft learnt that you can not mess your customers around like this and just expect them to sit back and do nothing, its about time we moved away from Microsoft as Games run like a pile of dog **** under windows 8 and 8.1, not touching that crap for anything, I hate it

ZaO

So we're still getting free security updates until 2020. That's alright. I can't imagine many home users will still be running W7 by that point. Bit crappy if we have trouble running new hardware though.

And yeh, I'm also really hoping that a complete switch to Linux is possible before then. That just can't come soon enough for me!

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by MickyTek View Post
    I still wont touch windows 8 or 8.1 with my worst enemy, I can prove that my games run laggy and horrible on windows 8 and 8.1 but they run perfectly under windows 7, so until Microsoft do some thing about this operating system 8.1 as they call it I will not be upgrading EVER
    My games run better on 8.1, we must have different taste in games or something.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I would Love to see Game Developers move over to Linux and dump being reliant on Microsoft, its about time Microsoft learnt that you can not mess your customers around like this and just expect them to sit back and do nothing, ....
    I agree, but sadly, what we have here is a combination of chicken and egg, and huge entrenched inertia.

It took MS' s attitude with W8 to get me to bother to switch to Linux, and I've been programming computers for 40+ years, so I'm not exactly technically illiterate. Why did it take me so long? Because everything Iran was MS-based and moving everything was impossible, and the part that was possible was a huge pain the backside. Hence .... inertia.

So the not-so-tech-literate general user? Fat chance, I'm afraid.

Thanks

I would Love to see Game Developers move over to Linux and dump being reliant on Microsoft, its about time Microsoft learnt that you can not mess your customers around like this and just expect them to sit back and do nothing, its about time we moved away from Microsoft as Games run like a pile of dog **** under windows 8 and 8.1, not touching that crap for anything, I hate it
    It's not a simple case of them just moving. Linux still has issues with API's and GPU drivers from a games developers perspective. It can cost a lot more in development costs to port than would ever be gained. Let's not start on supporting all the different distros out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Is it just me, or does 5 years seem like too short a time span to support an operating system? I realise the rate of new tech adoption is faster these days, but there will be some people would bought Windows 7 machines potentially less than 2 years ago (pre-Windows 8 release) now looking at their PC not obtaining security updates within 3 years of purchase.

Although debatable, given Microsoft's domination of the desktop environment, I would've expected security support for a minimum of 5 years after the product is discontinued. Surely that would be a more sensible measure of how long a product is supported, instead of initial release date, to give customers a degree of confidence when purchasing.

I realise this isn't going to be practical for all situations, maybe some kind of scaling for support time span could be implemented based on market share or units sold?

Given Microsoft's size and customer base I think they need to take more responsibility for these products.
    I agree on this.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    It's not a simple case of them just moving. Linux still has issues with API's and GPU drivers from a games developers perspective. It can cost a lot more in development costs to port than would ever be gained. Let's not start on supporting all the different distros out there.
    Nah, Loki games said they had demonstrated you could profitably port games to Linux years ago. It was poor choice of contract terms from early games that took them down. So yes it is hard, but conditions seem better now than then so it should be profitable now too.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

5 years for a desktop OS?

That's 1-2 years more than Apple support theirs for and 2 years more than Ubuntu LTS.

Anyone know a desktop os that gets more than 5 years support?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by zaph0d View Post
    Well - I guess that means DirectX 12 is a bust for Window$ 7 then. It'll be an 8.1+ exclusive to try and force a little extra adoption.
    It appears so,considering newer DX11 versions don't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Nah, Loki games said they had demonstrated you could profitably port games to Linux years ago. It was poor choice of contract terms from early games that took them down. So yes it is hard, but conditions seem better now than then so it should be profitable now too.
    Loki games ceased to exist ~13 years ago. I don't particularly think that's a good example when talking about profitability - certainly as not only were they a commercial failure, no one brought them out or continued their work / business line with any serious commercial aspects.

http://richg42.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0...r-quality.html

That's from Valve's Rich Geldreich. His summary:

To ship a major GL title you'll need to test your code on each driver and work around all the problems. May the "GL Gods" help you if you experience random GPU corruption, heap corruption, lockups, or TDR's. Be very nice to the driver teams and their managers/execs, because without them your chances aren't nearly as good.
    Testing and debugging is major time, thus money. When you factor this in against the percentage of people who game and will buy the title on Linux...it's quite small. Turning a profit is a very serious concern.

I'm not sure which bit exactly you're "Nah"ing to? The development cost issue is real. Certainly when you're talking about larger titles with heavier engines. If it was profitable, people would be porting more.

While most of my experience is with smaller team game development (4-10 people), not a single time has porting to Linux been economically viable for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    ...and 2 years more than Ubuntu LTS.
    Not since 10.04. 12.04 and 14.04 have 5 years desktop suppport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    ...and 2 years more than Ubuntu LTS.
    Not since 10.04. 12.04 and 14.04 have 5 years desktop suppport.
    It's hard to compare Windows desktop support to Ubuntu LTS support.

Windows desktop support is typically as followed: 5 years mainstream support, updates to Windows, ie performance, IE and so on plus security. When this ends, it goes into Extended support - which is another 5 years of security support - only security updates but nothing more - overall 10 years of security support which is very decent.

Ubuntu LTS comes with 5 years desktop support and when this end, that's it, no extended support. BUT on the other hand - Ubuntu LTS desktop support cover all software that is provided in their main repository - such as LibreOffice and all other software you've installed which is in main - not just the operating system itself.

Windows's long term security support though isn't matched by anyone I know of.

ZaO

Let's not forget that Linux distro's are typically free/donation based. So you shouldn't expect as much from them in the way of support. Yet the support is great considering. Not to mention that it's open source, and so the community will usually take over support when needed And come to think of it, Windows surely needs more support when it comes to security. I bet the amount of Malware for Windows based systems that is floating about, absolutely Dwarfs what is going about for Linux distro's!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information